Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 696467 times)

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7830 on: November 02, 2012, 09:55:53 pm »

Does anyone else think that Romney shot himself in the foot (or maybe the face) with his recent attack on Jeep? Even the Detroit newspaper article endorsing him (which he crows endlessly about in his ads) roundly smashed his policy on the auto industry, and Chrysler itself called the claims idiotic. When something like 30%-40% of jobs in Ohio are linked to the auto industry (rough average estimate, it's around 75% in the northern cities, and less further south) that's a very nasty gaffe to make, especially since the main group he would be targeting  (independent voters who can understand the value of the industry) isn't going to automatically favor either side, while the secondary target (union autoworkers uncomfortable with the political affiliations of the union) are going to favor the existing policy under which they kept their jobs unless solid evidence is presented to them. The only group that might be inclined to believe the attack would be those that lost their jobs in the restructuring, most of whom were simply retired early.

He didn't have a chance in Michigan to begin with. The west is absolutely Republican, but the east is more populous... and filled to the brim with union workers, minorities, and every other stereotypically Democratic demographic you can imagine.

I actually live in a very liberal postage stamp in the middle of a very conservative county... you can imagine how the city leaders feel about never getting a voice in higher-up politics.

It's Ohio that I'm talking about. He's been blitzing the state with his "Obama's selling Jeep to China" campaign for the past week.  Between the actual car companies, the parts suppliers for those companies, and various material refining and coal mining, this state is just as dependent on the auto industry as Michigan is.

It's unlikely that Obama will win Ohio.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7831 on: November 02, 2012, 09:58:37 pm »

Most polls seem to put them on par or give Obama a slight advantage - why do you think it's unlikely? I mean, it's certainly possible that he'll lose - it's all within the margin of error. But saying it's likely he'll lose is a bit different.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7832 on: November 02, 2012, 10:09:57 pm »

Really, Kon?  If you make an assertion, at least attempt to back it up.  Hell, you would have to assume numerous polling companies all have a D-bias for that to be true.
Latest polls: (Used FiveThirtyEight history for the list)
Ipsos (Online) 11/2 Obama+2
We Ask America (R) 11/1 Obama+4
CNN 11/1 Obama+3
Rasmussen 11/1 Obama+0
Wenzel Strategies 10/31 (R) Romney+3
University of Cincy 10/30 Obama+2
PPP 10/30 Obama+5
SurveyUSA 10/29 Obama+3
Grove 10/29 Obama+3
Quinnipiac 10/29 Obama+5

Average last 10 polls: Obama+2.4

Even including the two R-affiliated pollsters, they don't even bring the POTUS's average down that much.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:17:14 pm by Jervill »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7833 on: November 02, 2012, 10:14:44 pm »

That's a wee bit needlessly aggressive, Jervill. I'm much more interested in his reasoning than in seeing him shouted down. :/

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7834 on: November 02, 2012, 10:19:08 pm »

Since his reasoning in the past has boiled down to "because I said so", I for one am not particularly interested in another 6-page stretch of him trolling everyone willing to keep responding.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7835 on: November 02, 2012, 11:48:35 pm »

Wait, you can't pass a motion just because it's seconded. We have to have a vote first!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7836 on: November 02, 2012, 11:50:53 pm »

I'll step in and filibuster that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7837 on: November 02, 2012, 11:55:50 pm »

I'm voting however my party tells me to vote. cough cough cough.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7838 on: November 03, 2012, 12:00:32 am »

This is why democracy is broken. Metagaming!

Also 3 days left until the polls and I won't vote due to voter registration laws unless a miracle happens. Still, being on a university campus, it's unlikely my vote would have mattered anyway.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7839 on: November 03, 2012, 12:02:44 am »

Also 3 days left until the polls and I won't vote due to voter registration laws unless a miracle happens. Still, being on a university campus, it's unlikely my vote would have mattered anyway.

What state?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7840 on: November 03, 2012, 12:20:42 am »

That's a wee bit needlessly aggressive, Jervill. I'm much more interested in his reasoning than in seeing him shouted down. :/

Last time I posted on this thread, several people insulted me, and I responded with a couple of insults. I shouldn't have done that. I am being insulted again now, just for pointing out that Romney is going to win Ohio, but I will not respond to insults with insults this time.

Anyway, Ohio elected a Republican governor. Obviously, that was a state-wide vote, and this will be a statewide vote.

Ohio's economy is doing well relative to other Midwest states. Unemplyment is significantly lower there than in nearby states, such as Illinois, that have Democratic governors who have raised taxes and hurt their states economies. You could argue that it is in Obama's favor that Ohio's economy is doing relatively well, but Ohioans may see that they are doing better with a Republican governor than others are doing with a Democratic governor.

The polls are very close, but undecided voters tend to go against the incumbent president.

Republicans seem to be more enthusiastic than Democrats. I expect that Republican turnout will be better than Democratic turnout.

Early voting is not going nearly as well for Obama as it did four years ago. Based on the polls, on election day Romney is likely to more than make up for Obama's slim lead in early voting. This is based on election day voting last time, the greater enthusiam for Romney versus McCain, and the greater enthusiasm for Romney versus Obama.

Finally, Romney has been talking about working with Democrats, pointing out that he worked with Democrats as governor, while Obama isn't even talking about working with Republicans. Many people want politicians to set aside partisanship and do what is best for the country.

And, as we saw in the last debate, Obama's plan is simply to attack Romney, which turns off a lot of independents. I think people in Ohio are really getting fed up with all of the personal attacks. They want someone who is going to work with the other side to get something done rather than insulting and denigrating their opponent. Obama's game plan is to convince people not to vote for Romney rather than trying to convince people that they should for him. That plan is a poor plan and won't work.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7841 on: November 03, 2012, 12:22:02 am »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7842 on: November 03, 2012, 12:22:35 am »

Since his reasoning in the past has boiled down to "because I said so", I for one am not particularly interested in another 6-page stretch of him trolling everyone willing to keep responding.

My reasoning in the past has boiled down to "because I said so?" I provided thoughtful arguments while others just insulted me.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7843 on: November 03, 2012, 01:02:50 am »

I don't imagine this thread is going to see much less activity from now through Tuesday, so I'd appreciate it if people would be extra cautious with their tone.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7844 on: November 03, 2012, 01:08:28 am »

What state?

Massachusetts.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 714