Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 697659 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7845 on: November 03, 2012, 01:24:14 am »

Last time I posted on this thread, several people insulted me, and I responded with a couple of insults. I shouldn't have done that. I am being insulted again now, just for pointing out that Romney is going to win Ohio, but I will not respond to insults with insults this time.

Anyway, Ohio elected a Republican governor. Obviously, that was a state-wide vote, and this will be a statewide vote.

Ohio's economy is doing well relative to other Midwest states. Unemplyment is significantly lower there than in nearby states, such as Illinois, that have Democratic governors who have raised taxes and hurt their states economies. You could argue that it is in Obama's favor that Ohio's economy is doing relatively well, but Ohioans may see that they are doing better with a Republican governor than others are doing with a Democratic governor.

The polls are very close, but undecided voters tend to go against the incumbent president.

Republicans seem to be more enthusiastic than Democrats. I expect that Republican turnout will be better than Democratic turnout.

Early voting is not going nearly as well for Obama as it did four years ago. Based on the polls, on election day Romney is likely to more than make up for Obama's slim lead in early voting. This is based on election day voting last time, the greater enthusiam for Romney versus McCain, and the greater enthusiasm for Romney versus Obama.

Finally, Romney has been talking about working with Democrats, pointing out that he worked with Democrats as governor, while Obama isn't even talking about working with Republicans. Many people want politicians to set aside partisanship and do what is best for the country.

And, as we saw in the last debate, Obama's plan is simply to attack Romney, which turns off a lot of independents. I think people in Ohio are really getting fed up with all of the personal attacks. They want someone who is going to work with the other side to get something done rather than insulting and denigrating their opponent. Obama's game plan is to convince people not to vote for Romney rather than trying to convince people that they should for him. That plan is a poor plan and won't work.

It has been commented before that you equate your opinion with fact and then stubbornly dig in until people grow tired of you repeating yourself.  Everything you listed here is highly contentious and you don't come remotely close to actually demonstrating what you are saying.

For instance you say that Ohio must be Romney friendly because it has a republican governor.  This is very flimsy evidence because not all statewide elections are equal.  Consider West Virginia for example which has a democratic governor, two democratic senators and has democrats in control of both chambers of the house legislature.  Does that mean it is supporting Obama?  Pull the other one...

I will not respond to your other points because it takes time to make a fact checked, reasonable post about a topic.  It takes far more time then it takes to list 10 or so plausible sounding arguments without the need to stop and think if they make sense.  If you were to emulate this behavior of checking what you post to see if it adds up and substantiating any contentious points, people might be a bit more receptive towards talking to you.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7846 on: November 03, 2012, 01:34:25 am »

I don't imagine this thread is going to see much less activity from now through Tuesday, so I'd appreciate it if people would be extra cautious with their tone.

Yessir, Mr. Toad, sir. My apologies.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7847 on: November 03, 2012, 05:08:56 am »

Since his reasoning in the past has boiled down to "because I said so", I for one am not particularly interested in another 6-page stretch of him trolling everyone willing to keep responding.

My reasoning in the past has boiled down to "because I said so?" I provided thoughtful arguments while others just insulted me.

I'm sorry, but no, you did not. You stated an opinion which you couldn't back up with an unbiased source, and then refused to even acknowledge people's counterarguments. Simply reiterating a point while refusing to discuss it is not thoughtful. It is the opposite.
Love, scriver~

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7848 on: November 03, 2012, 06:30:55 am »

And, as we saw in the last debate, Obama's plan is simply to attack Romney, which turns off a lot of independents. I think people in Ohio are really getting fed up with all of the personal attacks. They want someone who is going to work with the other side to get something done rather than insulting and denigrating their opponent. Obama's game plan is to convince people not to vote for Romney rather than trying to convince people that they should for him. That plan is a poor plan and won't work.

And, pray tell, what is Romney's plan you happen to know of [while we all do not]?

Oh, and you have all those attack ads against Obama to disprove if you're trying to say Romney hasn't focused on one thing, attacking the president.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7849 on: November 03, 2012, 07:01:30 am »

A nice little article on election statistics, and the complete arse-backwards understanding most pundits have of it.

Given some of the actual analysis I've seen here by you peeps (Like RedKing... damn man, you a stats major or something?), most of you probably won't get anything new, but it's still an interesting read.

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7850 on: November 03, 2012, 10:09:14 am »

Announcer: In this corner, wearing the blue trunks, the Donkey, Bronco Bama!
*crowd cheers (AZ! AZ! AZ!)*
Announcer: And in that corner, wearing the Red Spandex, the Cat, Mittens!
(background crowd cheering) Little Girl: Mommie, why isn't Mittens an elephant?
Mother: He discovered soft and furry does better and had a felinoplasty.
Announcer: Llllets get ready to Rummmbleeee!
*More crowd cheering (3 more days! 4 more years! 3 more days! 4 more years! Free tibet!)*
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: November 03, 2012, 11:48:41 am »

And, as we saw in the last debate, Obama's plan is simply to attack Romney, which turns off a lot of independents.

In the president's defense, there is almost nothing good that can be said about Mitt Romney. Not truthfully at any rate. Romney's own commercials have convinced me that he is unconcerned about anything other than money and incapable of experiencing any emotions other than envy and greed. The man never stops talking about money. The only "positive" thing that can be said about him is that his sick obsession with wealth seems to distract him somewhat from the hatred that fills most other members of his party.

Obama's game plan is to convince people not to vote for Romney rather than trying to convince people that they should for him. That plan is a poor plan and won't work.

That plan is the best plan. The Democrats and the Republicans are both TERRIBLE political parties and almost everybody knows it. The elections are just down to choosing the lesser of two evils. It would be absurd for either candidate, or any candidate who has run since I have been alive for that matter, to try to convince people that they are actually qualified to run the country . The only real question is "is the other guy worse?".
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:58:28 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: November 03, 2012, 11:58:08 am »

Convincing people not to vote for Romney is the best plan. The only thing Romney really has going for him is the "Not-Obama" factor.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: November 03, 2012, 01:15:05 pm »

Convincing people not to vote for Obama is the best plan. The only thing Obama really has going for him is the "Poor People" factor.
Word Games can be fun.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: November 03, 2012, 01:19:03 pm »

"Poor people factor" > "Not-The-Other-Guy factor".
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: November 03, 2012, 01:20:00 pm »

Fast death factor > any of these.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7856 on: November 03, 2012, 01:55:13 pm »

That6's not to say someone qualified never runs. The Clitons gave us a surplus economically, after all, and everyone looks back fondly on the nineties. Too bad presidents are formally restricted to two terms now (thanks congress!).
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: November 03, 2012, 02:34:05 pm »

That6's not to say someone qualified never runs. The Clitons gave us a surplus economically, after all, and everyone looks back fondly on the nineties. Too bad presidents are formally restricted to two terms now (thanks congress!).

It's funny that the Republicans passed that amendment after the Democrats found the perfect wonder-president in FDR.

Then the Republicans found their messiah in Reagan, and must have been really mad when they realized he could only have two terms.

And Clinton was so-so. He did some good things, but ideologically represented the constant-compromise modern wimpy version of the Democrats that took hold, rather than the Carterian vision.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: November 03, 2012, 02:40:29 pm »

And Clinton was so-so. He did some good things, but ideologically represented the constant-compromise modern wimpy version of the Democrats that took hold, rather than the Carterian vision.

I don't think you experienced both administrations. There's a reason why one is recognized as a winner and one is recognized as a loser, politically. Compromise actually gets things done, you see.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: November 03, 2012, 02:50:38 pm »

I don't think you experienced both administrations. There's a reason why one is recognized as a winner and one is recognized as a loser, politically. Compromise actually gets things done, you see.

You're correct, I agree.
Clinton accomplished a lot, but basically had to compromise with the Republicans on every issue.
Carter did almost nothing, but was willing to take a stand, and now afterwards he's even more vocal.

The big hope a lot of liberals have for Obama now is that he'll take a stand and get something good done... and if he needs to abuse executive orders to do that, I'm all for it.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 714