Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 700273 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7920 on: November 03, 2012, 10:03:26 pm »

I also wonder why China suddenly went from a purposful wreck of an economy to a techie powerhouse in ~20 years.
It's more along the lines of 40 years rather than 20.

China's economy improved because Mao died, and everyone was very happy to do away with the principles of the genocidal lunatic who killed millions and millions of people over the years, though they did do away with those principles in his name at first to placate what loyalists he had.

They also broke ties with the economically stagnant USSR and therefore by definition were immediately our best friends. It just goes to show, not even schools of thought that are radical even within Communism could make Russia and China like each other.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: November 03, 2012, 10:06:46 pm »

I also wonder why China suddenly went from a purposful wreck of an economy to a techie powerhouse in ~20 years.

China's economy improved because Mao died, and everyone was very happy to do away with the principles of the genocidal lunatic who killed millions and millions of people over the years, though they did do away with those principles in his name at first to placate what loyalists he had.

They also broke ties with the economically stagnant USSR and therefore by definition were immediately our best friends. It just goes to show, not even schools of thought that are radical even within Communism could make Russia and China like each other.
No no, I mean the commercial.

Also I didn't realize they'd ever been our friend. I was pretty sure we disliked them even when they were on our side in WWII against the Japanese.

The commercial struck me as being way advanced for what looked like a perfectly normal keynote. Maybe it was the Chinese version of Microsoft?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: November 03, 2012, 10:07:11 pm »

If China want's to take over the U.S, I feel sorry for China.

Not because it's impossible they'd win, but because I think America would ingest their culture and shit it out on the sidewalk in front of their house. Not to mention they'd seriously over extend themselves and the U.S would never ever ever submit to foriegn rule of any sort. China is a center culture, but we are too. There would be way to many repercussions of taking over the U.S fiscally or politically or militarily or whatever.

China doesn't want to take over the U.S. They're happy having another stick to drive us around with, they don't want the responsibility of holding our leash.

I also wonder why China suddenly went from a purposful wreck of an economy to a techie powerhouse in ~20 years. Maybe to keep up with Japan? I've noticed the big powers seem to move west, and the only place west of the U.S is East Asia. Japan could well be the next centre of Learning, if they aren't already. Lucky us, to have them as our national Girlfriend.I suppose it could be China too, but they don't seem the type. South Korea? Nah, too much Starcraft. :P
Simply in terms of economic power, probably Japan if not china.

I also wonder why china Is often cited as about to "take over". The economic cost alone would be enormous, possibly tanking the entirety of the world economy.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: November 03, 2012, 10:18:04 pm »

I was pretty sure we disliked them even when they were on our side in WWII against the Japanese.
During WWII China was divided between the Nationalists, who we preferred, and the Communists, who we didn't. The latter ended up taking over after the war and the former holed up on the island of Taiwan, where they have remained ever since. However, during the war itself they were in ceasefire to fight Japan.

The US hadn't completely emerged from its isolationist shell at the time, so our preference for the nationalists wasn't all-consuming or anything. It was a low-key issue with the Axis around.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: November 03, 2012, 10:23:47 pm »

China started their current modernization drive in 1978. So they've really been driving things up for 35 years, not 20. It's just that prior to the mid 1990's the west basically wrote them off. Smug racism played a part, just like how the 1950's - 1970's generation scoffed at Japan.

Then we "suddenly" noticed that China was pretty damn powerful economically. Now, we hear "well, they may be industrious but their products are crap, and they can only copy. Monkey see, monkey do".

But this is the EXACT thing people said about Japan right before their economy took off. China sells America crap because that's the optimal "price point". If Americans valued quality, China would make higher quality products.

A similar thing happened with Japanese cars in the mid 1980's. Reagan tried protectionism against the cheap shitty Japanese imported cars, by imposing quotas. Japan immediately stopped importing cheap cars and made luxury cars instead. Hell, if you can only sell 100,000 units a year, they might as well be sports cars. America failed to realize that Japan was quite capable of NOT producing shit-box cars, but they were doing so purely because it was the most profitable thing to do.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:32:40 pm by Reelya »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: November 03, 2012, 10:25:43 pm »

We were providing support to the Nationalists, and they were doing the vast majority of the fighting and sustained the vast majority of the combat losses (unless you are in China, apparently). After the war Mao's communists were in a stronger position and were able to take over, with the assistance of the Soviet Union.

(We were also allied with the Soviet Union against Nazi Germany during WWII. Stalin was almost as bad as Hitler (but better at keeping it a secret), but I don't think anyone but Hitler wanted to invade the USSR, so...)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: November 03, 2012, 10:27:36 pm »

Patton wanted to invade the USSR after we were done with the Axis, but he was kind of crazy and wanted to invade everyone. His plan involved using many nukes and enslaving the Germans to make up for our manpower disadvantage.

But then he died in a car crash.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: November 03, 2012, 10:29:31 pm »

Patton would have done well as a strategy gamer.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: November 03, 2012, 10:36:10 pm »

Please explain (because "giving the appearance of a surplus" is an intriguing idea, and I would like to see your evidence).

He decreased public debt each year, yet he did so by increasing intragovernmental debt, in short, borrowing from other government programs, especially Social Security (The treasury website I believe Kon provided has the necessary information, and a google search would suffice if not). At no point did the public debt "surplus" overtake the overall deficit, so to say Clinton ever ran a surplus would be untrue.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: November 03, 2012, 10:39:23 pm »

A stronger Chinese economy is good for the United States. A stronger U.S. economy is good for China. I don't like either Romney or Obama bashing China for political gain. Mostly, they seem to be trying to one-up each other on being anti-China. In the last debate though, Romney brought up his promise to declare China a currency manipulator on his 1st day in office. Obama responded, correctly, that the Yuan has been going up, not down, versus the U.S. dollar.

http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/stock-charts/?CA=0&CB=0&CC=0&CD=0&D4=1&DD=1&D5=0&DCS=2&MA0=0&MA1=0&C5=0&C5D=0&C6=0&C7=0&C7D=0&C8=0&C9=0&CF=0&D8=0&DB=0&DC=0&D9=0&DA=0&D1=0&symbol=%2fCNYUSD&SZ=0&PT=8

Actually, if the Chinese were depreciating the Yuan, I wouldn't mind at all. It means their goods would cost less. This is bad for businesses competing with Chinese exporters, but it is good for just about everyone else. If you were buying something  from China, and the Chinese company offered you a 10% discount, would you say "No thanks, I would rather pay more?"

The ones helped most by a cheap Yuan are the poor. If I have to pay a 5% or 10% more for something from China, it won't affect me nearly as much as it would affect a poor person.

Anyway, it is not a zero-sum game. People seem to think that the better China's economy does, the worse it is for the U.S.

Also, the more dependent on each other's economies the U.S. and China become, the less the chance of a military confrontation.

China has come a long way in moving toward a capitalist economy (that's good, by the way). But they still have a long way to go in regards to individuial freedoms. I believe that, as their middle class continues to grow and become more affluent, they will demand and get more individual freedom.

By the way, having seen the future, I recommend you buy YINN. It's going to triple in the next two years.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: November 03, 2012, 10:44:08 pm »

Yeah, you're right about China. Hell, the Marshall Plan and related European aid were specifically enacted so that the American industries that grew during WWII would have some customers to export stuff to. You don't do much business if everyone else is bankrupt.

China props up America through buying US treasuries, even though they're returning LESS than you put in, due to the interest being lower than inflation. They do that for the same reason US gave aid after WWII.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: November 03, 2012, 10:47:59 pm »

A stronger Chinese economy is good for the United States. A stronger U.S. economy is good for China. I don't like either Romney or Obama bashing China for political gain. Mostly, they seem to be trying to one-up each other on being anti-China. In the last debate though, Romney brought up his promise to declare China a currency manipulator on his 1st day in office. Obama responded, correctly, that the Yuan has been going up, not down, versus the U.S. dollar.

http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/stock-charts/?CA=0&CB=0&CC=0&CD=0&D4=1&DD=1&D5=0&DCS=2&MA0=0&MA1=0&C5=0&C5D=0&C6=0&C7=0&C7D=0&C8=0&C9=0&CF=0&D8=0&DB=0&DC=0&D9=0&DA=0&D1=0&symbol=%2fCNYUSD&SZ=0&PT=8

Actually, if the Chinese were depreciating the Yuan, I wouldn't mind at all. It means their goods would cost less. This is bad for businesses competing with Chinese exporters, but it is good for just about everyone else. If you were buying something  from China, and the Chinese company offered you a 10% discount, would you say "No thanks, I would rather pay more?"

The ones helped most by a cheap Yuan are the poor. If I have to pay a 5% or 10% more for something from China, it won't affect me nearly as much as it would affect a poor person.

Anyway, it is not a zero-sum game. People seem to think that the better China's economy does, the worse it is for the U.S.

Also, the more dependent on each other's economies the U.S. and China become, the less the chance of a military confrontation.

China has come a long way in moving toward a capitalist economy (that's good, by the way). But they still have a long way to go in regards to individuial freedoms. I believe that, as their middle class continues to grow and become more affluent, they will demand and get more individual freedom.

By the way, having seen the future, I recommend you buy YINN. It's going to triple in the next two years.

However, if America exports all their manufacturing jobs to China, they won't have a functional economy because all current economic models require growth in order to continue. Without manufacturing their can be no growth in the economy because nothing is being produced. Thus a weak yuan is damaging to the US economy.

Canada saw this exact thing play out. For years our dollar was 60-70 cents US, so we produced lots of goods and shipped them to America to sell, but lately our dollar has jumped up to parity and all these manufacturing plants have closed. While the increase in the Canadian dollar relative to the USD was not the only contributing factor, it certainly wasn't a small one either.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: November 03, 2012, 11:28:32 pm »

However, if America exports all their manufacturing jobs to China, they won't have a functional economy because all current economic models require growth in order to continue. Without manufacturing their can be no growth in the economy because nothing is being produced. Thus a weak yuan is damaging to the US economy.

Canada saw this exact thing play out. For years our dollar was 60-70 cents US, so we produced lots of goods and shipped them to America to sell, but lately our dollar has jumped up to parity and all these manufacturing plants have closed. While the increase in the Canadian dollar relative to the USD was not the only contributing factor, it certainly wasn't a small one either.

Certainly what the U.S. economy needs most is growth.

But it seems the U.S. is intentionally trying to devalue the dollar while accusing China of devaluing the Yuan even though the U.S. dollar has been going down versus the Yuan.

My main point is that too many people see global economics as a zero-sum game. Trade is good for both sides. It is not the case that China doing well economically is bad for the U.S. Let me said ahead of time that don't I mean to come across as lecturing -- you may well be more knowledable about trade them I am. But, let's say country A has lots of apples but no bananas, and country B has lots of bananas but no apples. They can trade apples for bananas, and both be trading something of lower value for something of greater value. For country A, apples are cheap because they are plentiful, and bananas are expensive because they are rare. Same thing applies if you are buying rather than bartering. There is a price range such that country A can buy bananas for a price in that range from country B, who can then buy apples with the cash from country A and both come out ahead. In each transaction, the buyer is paying less than the product is worth and the seller is selling the product for more than it is worth. This only works because it is not a zero sum game -- worth is relative.

There are products that China can make much more cheaply than we can. We should see that as a good thing, not a bad thing. If a business or individual buys stuff from China because it is cheaper than buying the same stuff from others, they have more money with which to buy other things.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: November 04, 2012, 03:49:04 am »

Certainly what the U.S. economy needs most is growth.

But it seems the U.S. is intentionally trying to devalue the dollar while accusing China of devaluing the Yuan even though the U.S. dollar has been going down versus the Yuan.

My main point is that too many people see global economics as a zero-sum game. Trade is good for both sides. It is not the case that China doing well economically is bad for the U.S. Let me said ahead of time that don't I mean to come across as lecturing -- you may well be more knowledable about trade them I am. But, let's say country A has lots of apples but no bananas, and country B has lots of bananas but no apples. They can trade apples for bananas, and both be trading something of lower value for something of greater value. For country A, apples are cheap because they are plentiful, and bananas are expensive because they are rare. Same thing applies if you are buying rather than bartering. There is a price range such that country A can buy bananas for a price in that range from country B, who can then buy apples with the cash from country A and both come out ahead. In each transaction, the buyer is paying less than the product is worth and the seller is selling the product for more than it is worth. This only works because it is not a zero sum game -- worth is relative.

There are products that China can make much more cheaply than we can. We should see that as a good thing, not a bad thing. If a business or individual buys stuff from China because it is cheaper than buying the same stuff from others, they have more money with which to buy other things.

It makes me wonder to whose interest it will be to raise the spectre of fear against China. There is no question that the prospect of increased outsourcing and competition from China will be lucrative political capital to those able to harness it. On the other hand, they would theoretically be harming the interests of business and trade.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 04:16:21 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: November 04, 2012, 05:02:53 am »

https://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSEARCA:YINN

Which means that it'll just about reach its April 21, 2011 value in two years. That's not horrible, I guess.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 714