Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 696451 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9870 on: November 26, 2012, 06:24:47 pm »

Of course, the federal government is just as much of a tossup, what with how often they meddle for the worse. (Federal drug laws, federal surveillance, federal gay marriage ban, education bullshit)

There's a lot of states in the US that would probably be much better off without the feds shoving things down their throat.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: November 26, 2012, 06:34:07 pm »

Of course, the federal government is just as much of a tossup, what with how often they meddle for the worse. (Federal drug laws, federal surveillance, federal gay marriage ban, education bullshit)
Meh, democracy. Too sad the other systems don't work even half as well.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: November 26, 2012, 06:35:32 pm »

This is technically a discussion about federal power, not democracy. Not really related. You get the same debate even in non-democratic organizations and nations.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: November 26, 2012, 06:44:19 pm »

The problems don't come from too much centralization; they come from too little. If the mightiest man in the world is elected by only about a fifteenth (is that about right?) of the global population, something's quite wrong.
Heehee, no, no. Obama was voted in by ~64 million people. Out of ~7 billion total world population. Which comes out to... .0091, or about nine tenths of a percent. Fifteenth, heehee. America's total population is only about 4% of the world's, or around a twenty-fifth. Obama was voted in by less than a forth of that. You overestimated a bit ;D
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: November 26, 2012, 06:45:13 pm »

This is technically a discussion about federal power, not democracy. Not really related. You get the same debate even in non-democratic organizations and nations.
Does it ever happen to anyone that no matter how many times you read a post, it still comes back in your new replies? This is my that. This comment is to get rid of it.

There's a lot of states in the US that would probably be much better off without the feds shoving things down their throat.
And there's many that would be far worse.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: November 26, 2012, 06:48:51 pm »

Does it ever happen to anyone that no matter how many times you read a post, it still comes back in your new replies? This is my that. This comment is to get rid of it.
It happens.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9876 on: November 26, 2012, 06:55:36 pm »

Things like what? environmental regulation necessary for human health? Workplace safety? Freedom of speech? Right to vote as minority? Right to prosecute spousal rape? These are the kinds of things that would go away in many states if the federal government wasn't able to infringe upon "states rights". It is the duty of the federal government to defend the people and their rights from enemies both foreign and domestic. It isn't perfect, and the federal drug and terrorism wars are massive black marks against it. But on the whole, the federal government does more good than harm for Americans.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: November 26, 2012, 07:20:46 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rick-santorum-open-running-president-again-215701762--election.html

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Half of me hopes he does for the sheer hilarity that could ensue, the other half is horrified at the prospect that if he does he might somehow win. (Don't ask me how.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:23:27 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: November 26, 2012, 07:27:36 pm »

Someone like him could never win. Santorum running guarantees a Democrat victory.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: November 26, 2012, 07:33:19 pm »

Someone like him could never win. Santorum running guarantees a Democrat victory.

Well...him running in the primaries doesn't mean that. But him being the Republican Candidate certainly does. Provided the country doesn't take a drastic turn for the stupid in the next four years, anyway.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: November 26, 2012, 08:59:55 pm »

What's it like in your alternative universe where bad candidates never win elections?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: November 26, 2012, 09:01:42 pm »

What's it like in your alternative universe where bad candidates never win elections?
It's following current demographic trends.

Of course, as Dan Savage so elegantly pointed out, don't joke. There could have been a terrorist attack, or a hurrican, or something unpredictable, that would put Rick Santorum in the white house. So, do, not, vote for him.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: November 26, 2012, 09:09:02 pm »

A bad candidate wining is one thing, but Santorum is a far-right nutjob who alienated the public during this election. The US is becoming steadily more liberal, and in four years Santorum will be even more unelectable. He's so off the mark that Romney, who actually was a lot more moderate than him, lost badly.

We're talking about a guy who publicly stated that Obama was trying to institute eugenic abortions and then called him a "government nigger" during a speech just a few weeks later. I think we're safe from President Santorum.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: November 26, 2012, 09:28:04 pm »

He seems like a far right nutjob because he lost.  Can you name one presidential candidate since 1945 who never won the white house but didn't come across as hopelessly far from the political center?  Once someone's political ship is sunk his defenders vanish and the vultures come out.  When someone is a viable candidate then people close ranks around them and pointing out the obvious becomes a partisan issue.  If Santorum was given the same cheerleading squad as Bush then he'd be considered just as palatable as Bush.

Men far, far worse then Santorum have won democratic elections and lead their countries into ruin.  It happens.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: November 26, 2012, 10:57:29 pm »

Pretty sure you can find extremists for every political alignment. Pick my brain and you'll find at least a dozen radical views.
You want to do WHAT to that platypus?
Only if it consents.

(note: being facetious :P )
So... What you are saying is that you don't want a consenting one?

Hey, where's Perry?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 714