Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 698206 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #960 on: January 19, 2012, 12:27:30 am »

Well, TR didn't really give a flying fuck what the rest of the government thought. The problem with Romney is that he simultaneously declares himself a 'steadfast supporter' of something, and then changes his mind a few years, months, or weeks later. According to that log from John McCain, the man changes his views on abortion four times in the span of a few years. His original stance came with a reason, but there was no explanation he gave for the sudden shift. He claimed he had always supported that. There was no new information that came to light here:

Romney supports choice because a relative died due to an illegal abortion.
Romney withdraws his support when running for office.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #961 on: January 19, 2012, 12:34:21 am »

Has there been a politician, ever, who hasn't been accused of being a flip-flop? And besides, I'd rather have someone in office who changes their opinions in light of new evidence rather than one that steadfastly goes along with whatever they said 5+ years ago regardless of anything else. Romney's changing views make me even less likely to vote for him, but not because of the mere act of changing his mind.
Yeah, but Mitt changes his mind every few weeks.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 19, 2012, 12:39:39 am »

Of course there's the possibility of him just saying whatever he thinks will get him elected (you know, like most politicians), and I probably expect the same. Just that the mere act of changing your mind is not a bad thing. Stuff like "flip flop" and "steadfast" are meaningless to me.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #963 on: January 19, 2012, 12:41:32 am »

Of course there's the possibility of him just saying whatever he thinks will get him elected (you know, like most politicians), and I probably expect the same. Just that the mere act of changing your mind is not a bad thing. Stuff like "flip flop" and "steadfast" are meaningless to me.
I want to know what he wants, not what he thinks will get him elected.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 19, 2012, 12:45:42 am »

Yahoo is really going on a rampage here. Third top article about Romney's faults I've seen today. In this one, he apparently gave large amounts of stock to the Mormon Church so that he could acquire the huge tax deductions involved.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 19, 2012, 01:18:39 am »

Actually, it's worth having him as the frontrunner at least so that the super-wealthy tax practices are put into the spotlight.

Obama will have soooo much fun during the campaign, with all the mud that Gingritch and al. are finding.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 19, 2012, 09:23:57 am »

His original stance came with a reason, but there was no explanation he gave for the sudden shift. He claimed he had always supported that.

Mitt Romney has always been a friend to Eastasia. Any thing different you may have heard are lies spread by Goldstein.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 19, 2012, 10:49:46 am »

You know who's going to be most disappointed by this? "Real Republicans" in South Carolina. All 5 of them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #969 on: January 19, 2012, 12:13:13 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-parks-millions-offshore-tax-haven-160547876--abc-news.html

I think having Romney in this race is actually a good thing. If only because he makes it so plainly obvious how screwed up the tax system and income inequality really is.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 19, 2012, 12:37:08 pm »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #971 on: January 19, 2012, 12:40:22 pm »

I'm sure this is going to play well.

Wow. I didn't know Gingrich divorced both his wives while they were going through horrible medical challenges. Quite frankly he is so much of a weasel and horrible person that I don't think the minor positive point that he wanted an open relationship instead of continuing to cheat would make a difference.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 19, 2012, 01:46:38 pm »

Surprisingly enough, Rick Perry did not wait until the South Carolina primary to announce he's giving it up.  I guess after writing off Iowa and New Hampshire for the "real Republicans" of SC, and then coming back polling in Fred Karger territory, he must have decided to avoid the embarrassment.

On behalf of the Independent Christian Republic of Texas, I begrudgingly welcome the return of Our Governor in Perpetuity, Sovereign Lord of the territories of Sugarland, Ria Roja, The Incongruous Pines, Metroplexia, The Oil Inlet, Panhandlestan, and all others honored but not named, by the Grace of Jesus, Keeper of the Sacred Language and Duke of the Corridors, and Supreme Ruler of the Confederated Church, His Imperious Majesty Sir Richard Perry the First.  May God help us all.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 19, 2012, 01:58:15 pm »

So Perry's out, following my prediction that a a bumbling Texan will be unelectable nationally following Bush. It remains to be seen if this will affect his future gubernatorial elections, but I doubt it.

Now that all the candidates that said God told them to run are out, there's no one left for laughs but Santorum. :(

/ninja'd

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 19, 2012, 02:11:07 pm »

Now that all the candidates that said God told them to run are out, there's no one left for laughs but Santorum. :(

It is a little surprising that Perry endorsed Gingrich on his way out instead of Santorum, or just waiting for later, but I guess he was bought up by Gingrich's Last Alliance against Romney.  At least we still have him, Prospector Paul, Uncle Pennybags, and Ol' Jowly.

More interestingly, the Republican party in Iowa is just now getting about to actually counting their primary votes.  As of now, Rick Santorum is actually leading Mitt Romney by a few dozen votes (29840 to 29810 or something like that), but the ballots from eight precincts are just plumb not there because somebody wasn't working the phone or something.  If they can't be turned in, the count will have to be certified as it stands, in which case Santorum will be declared the plurality winner, and Romney will no longer be the first non-incumbent Republican nominee to win both Iowa and New Hampshire.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 714