Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717377 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1020 on: January 21, 2012, 03:26:15 pm »

Gingrich's infidelity has been known a long time.  GOP primary voters will never hold this against him because while he was doing it he was leading the republican revolution.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 21, 2012, 06:17:25 pm »

He makes John Edwards look like an underachiever in the infidelity championships.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 21, 2012, 06:39:59 pm »

Something I just learned about.  Today is an auspicious day in the history of political campaigning.  As we go into the South Carolina primary, wherein Newt Gingrich is punching his way to the top through a storm of resurfacing personal shenanigans, whilst all and sundry complain about the power of Super PACs to overturning polling in days even as they embrace their dark gifts, January 21st marks both the fifteenth anniversary (or just about) of Newt Ginrich's House committee conviction of financial impropriety, and the second anniversary of the Citizens United decision that created the Super PAC.

Its amazing what changes and doesn't change over time.  Including my ability to toot my own horn.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 21, 2012, 06:58:14 pm »

Looks like I was off about the results time. 6pm was merely when CNN would start their coverage. Polls don't actually close until 7pm (about two minutes from now).

Based on the latest polls, it could be anything from a photo-finish tie to Gingrich stomping Romney by 10+ percentage points. If Santorum overachieves here, Ron Paul may face his first finish out of the top 3. The other interesting bit will be to see how much Stephen Colbert can wreak havoc with things. If Herman Cain winds up pulling 10% or more and/or beating out of the legitimate (and I use the word with some hesitation) candidates, Colbert is going to be front-page news and you're going to see a lot of GOP talking heads indignant that he's "making a mockery of our political system" (as has already been charged by some). When in fact, he and Jon Stewart are merely holding a floodlight to the mockery that it already is.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:02:57 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 21, 2012, 07:27:35 pm »

When in fact, he and Jon Stewart are merely holding a floodlight to the mockery that it already is.

You win ALL the internet cookies. America, how the fuck did you end up like this? From one of the greatest collections of minds the world has ever seen to a new-age Rome overwhelmed by barbarians in a little over 200 years.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: January 21, 2012, 08:11:16 pm »

When in fact, he and Jon Stewart are merely holding a floodlight to the mockery that it already is.

You win ALL the internet cookies. America, how the fuck did you end up like this? From one of the greatest collections of minds the world has ever seen to a new-age Rome overwhelmed by barbarians in a little over 200 years.

At least we don't have mobs clubbing down tribunes in the streets yet. Although to be fair, that might actually be an improvement over the current state of affairs...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 21, 2012, 08:15:03 pm »

A consumerist based society, bread and circuses cheap beer and fox news?

More seriously, a big part of it actually came from the cold war; extreme opposition to traditionally 'liberal' ideas, an increased emphasis on christian religion and the entrenchment of capitalism as some holy ideal were all started or at least strongly magnified as a reaction against those Godless Commie bastards (TM).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 21, 2012, 08:17:10 pm »

Alright, that's enough of that now.

With a quarter of the vote totaled, Gingrich stands at 45k, Romney 29k, Santorum 19k, Paul 14k, and the "others" have not been wholly released.  Because South Carolina works on a district-by-district proportion, Gingrich has 13 of SC's 25 delegates already.

By the way, I urge people to try to stomach Romney's "concession" speech.  His history as a venture capitalist is no longer about "jobs" per se, so much as "success" and "personal liberty", and Republicans "who take up the weapons of the Left will them used against us".  And I have never seen a more gut-wrenching script of applause breaks.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:19:17 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: January 21, 2012, 08:29:56 pm »

I suppose it's not entirely unexpected that he'd do well in his home state where he'd put his hopes since at least Iowa.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: January 21, 2012, 08:34:28 pm »

And here's the crosstabs on the exit polling.

Not much that isn't common sense or that we haven't seen before. Rich, educated Republicans went for Romney, young people went for Paul, the blue-collar sixpackers and Tea Partiers went for Gingrich. Santorum was second fiddle to Newt even among his own natural base: born-again Evangelicals who care about religion and want to ban abortion. The only ares where Rick outperformed was for people whom abortion is the single strongest issue (only 8% of the total) and/or people whose single most important candidate quality was a strong moral character (18% of total). It should noted that even 6% of those folks voted Gingrich.

A majority of voters seemed to indicate that the debates were important to their decision, and of those, Gingrich took the lion's share. So since he "won" the debates by attacking everyone who dared question him, and playing the victim card hard....yeah, you know what to expect from here on out.

Geographically, Romney's winning the urban areas. Problem being, this is South Carolina. There's basically two cities -- Columbia and Charleston. Everything in between is lightly populated rural area or small cities at best (<50,000 population). And Gingrich is absolutely cleaning up there.

@Glowcat: Gingrich is from Georgia, not South Carolina. It's right next-door, but it is a distinction.

EDIT: I'll just add that Ron Paul does indeed look headed for his first finish outside the top 3. Not a huge surprise (SC doesn't have a strong Libertarian streak, and *does* have a strong "God-and-guns" streak) but still has to be disappointing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:36:50 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: January 21, 2012, 08:42:06 pm »

@Glowcat: Gingrich is from Georgia, not South Carolina. It's right next-door, but it is a distinction.

Darn. 18 hours awake and poor memory tends to blur information together.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 21, 2012, 09:00:06 pm »

70% or so reporting, and Gingrich has a commanding win. 40% to Romney's 26% and Santorum's 18%.

One of the potential stories out of this...what happened to the Colbert/Cain votes? "Other" is only at 4200 votes, and Rick Perry got about 1600. Considering that Colbert was polling as high as 13% just a week or so ago...I'm going to want to see the final breakdown to see how many Cain got. If he winds up with no votes, and the state GOP says "Oh, well we threw those out because we didn't like some comedian trying to cause havoc with our primary", then all hell is going to break loose because you can't do that. And I can totally see the South Carolina GOP being stupid enough to have done that.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: January 21, 2012, 09:16:21 pm »

It is also entirely possible that a bunch of people said, oh yeah I'm voting for Colbert, and either just didn't go vote or voted for a "real" candidate once they got there.  In the 2006 governor's race here in Texas, Kinky Friedman was polling something like 25-30% right up until the election, and got a whopping 10%.  "Joke" candidates tend to poll well, because people who get polled and don't give a shit or probably won't vote can say they're for the joke instead of Undecided.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: January 21, 2012, 09:50:14 pm »

If he winds up with no votes, and the state GOP says "Oh, well we threw those out because we didn't like some comedian trying to cause havoc with our primary", then all hell is going to break loose because you can't do that. And I can totally see the South Carolina GOP being stupid enough to have done that.

Please. Please let this happen. The hilarity that ensues will be deliious. Plus, there's a good chance that Colbert will actually get angry, and hell hath no fury like a satirist scorned.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: January 21, 2012, 09:54:42 pm »

The other bit is a lot of people who would have voted for Colbert might not have known what to do when they realized he wasn't on the ballot!

Not everyone who supports the guy watches every episode of his show, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 714