Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721072 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1590 on: February 06, 2012, 01:34:25 am »

We could always a) get our politicians to take clear stances on things, b) compile those stances into an easy to read, colorful brochure, and c) then mail them en masse to houses.

Okay, yeah, a) will never happen, but a man can dream, right?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: February 06, 2012, 01:41:14 am »

It's a beautiful dream, MZ. Gave me this momentary vision of politicians not only having to have clear stances, but also having a logic style proof of their reasoning behind it, with a minimum number of sources and peer review for logic inconsistencies. I'd love to be able to see something like that, a clear cut premise->conclusion by way of the laws of logic manifesto* alongside plain language descriptions of the position.

Never going to happen, but damn, it'd be beautiful.

*E: I'm suddenly curious if someone's ever done something like that to a press release or whatev'. Would probably be hilariously pitiful.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:43:44 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: February 06, 2012, 02:00:23 am »

We should make it a law that all politicians must have actual beliefs or non-beliefs or apathy or whatever about the positions they're taking, and that they have to be honest about them. Then again, getting all of the politicians to be honest would take a lot of facepunching. I'm pretty sure I don't want to wear my arms down to nubs.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: February 06, 2012, 02:04:12 am »

Could re-purpose those rail-road spike driving machines for facepunching. Put a boxing glove or something at the end of a spike.

Or just hire people on rotation for the facepunching. It'd probably take long enough and involve such volume of facial fisticuffs that we'd be able to employ at least a couple thousand people.

And hey! Job creation. Who knew :P

Though we'd need a population of dishonest politicians to keep people employed, I guess. Kinda' like the private prison stuff, just with, uh. Politicians. Or something. We'll go with that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: February 06, 2012, 03:22:01 am »

Well, we already do in a lot of cases. Many felons, for one. Folks that can't afford to get to the voting booths or understand (/afford to do) distance voting. People that don't know how to find out when the voting occurs. Etc., so forth. And honestly, at least in the states, a small pre-vote quiz would probably knock a lot of well educated people out of voting eligibility, too; strictly partisan voters who know nothing of the opposition or who they're voting for, ferex.

If they know nothing of the opposition or who they're voting for, then in this context they're hardly "well-educated" even if they are in a more general sense.

Also: Those examples you listed are unfortunate aspects and limitations of the system. The system is generally designed to be as accessible as possible, which is why long-distance voting is even a thing.

I'unno, I just can't help but see a mandatory voting system degenerating to the degree that everyone that's not voting now doing the voting equivalent of "Just answer C on everything." That wouldn't help the democratic process at all. There'd either need to be some kind of check for basic understanding or very strong social pressures toward informed voting.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of mandatory voting at all. However, I'm even less a fan of limiting people's right to vote.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: February 06, 2012, 03:35:15 am »

I don't know, because a reasonable person might assert an opinion untill somebody explains why they are wrong or they otherwise question the validity of their opinion. It's why politicians like to flip-flop on issues and why they tend to behave more moderate and compromise more once they are actually elected. I think the US system is designed to do that, with everyone reaching a reasoned compromise or only agreeing on nessicary actions, while shooting down each other's more ideological or extreme legislation. Is basically why the system is actually sort of broken right now, with parties refusing to cooperate on anything.

So really, an uncompromising, completely consistant politician is only a good thing if they happen to be exactly correct with every stance they take or otherwise that politician will be ineffective, because everything he does will just be countered by the opposition and he'll just spend his term trying to shoot down everyone else's ideas. Sort of how I imagine Ron Paul to do if he was president. He'd sit there and veto everything that reached his desk and congress would kill everything else.

Also, mandatory voting is probably a bad idea. Mandatory education for voting would be to controversial, since people would claim it would be biased to one party or another and maybe it discriminates against dumb people or something.

I'd just make the polls open on Saturday, or make it a national holiday on a friday. More people would vote if they had the time.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: February 06, 2012, 07:34:11 am »

"None of the above"

Before discussing limitations of a system in the abstract sense, it's a good idea to look at the international experience and figure out if someone figured out the answer to your problem a century before you were born.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: February 06, 2012, 09:06:13 am »

I don't know, because a reasonable person might assert an opinion untill somebody explains why they are wrong or they otherwise question the validity of their opinion. It's why politicians like to flip-flop on issues and why they tend to behave more moderate and compromise more once they are actually elected. I think the US system is designed to do that, with everyone reaching a reasoned compromise or only agreeing on nessicary actions, while shooting down each other's more ideological or extreme legislation. Is basically why the system is actually sort of broken right now, with parties refusing to cooperate on anything.

So really, an uncompromising, completely consistant politician is only a good thing if they happen to be exactly correct with every stance they take or otherwise that politician will be ineffective, because everything he does will just be countered by the opposition and he'll just spend his term trying to shoot down everyone else's ideas. Sort of how I imagine Ron Paul to do if he was president. He'd sit there and veto everything that reached his desk and congress would kill everything else.
The thing about politicians, at least here in the states, is that the vast majority are doing nothing more than pandering to the public to get votes. They don't have more than a couple consistent values apiece, and even those are subject to change at essentially random and with no explanation. There is no, "So, someone explained this whole 'womens rights' thing to me, and I understand it a little more clearly now. I'm changing my stance on abortion because of it." No, they just say one thing in one place if it's popular, another in the next place to grab votes there, and go back and forth like a reciprocal saw. This country needs leaders, not people with ethics straight out of a Groucho Marx quote: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." The reason that I'm for political leaders actually adhering to this is that yes, the politics of this country are, at this time, built entirely on compromise. However, you have to have a reasonably solid starting place before you can come to any reasonable compromise.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: February 06, 2012, 09:09:05 am »

We could always a) get our politicians to take clear stances on things, b) compile those stances into an easy to read, colorful brochure, and c) then mail them en masse to houses.
We should make it a law that all politicians must have actual beliefs or non-beliefs or apathy or whatever about the positions they're taking, and that they have to be honest about them.
That would require lots of candidates to present a simplified version of their beliefs, and would result in pretty much everyone being misrepresented in many ways.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: February 06, 2012, 09:16:57 am »

These are people who give hours upon hours of speeches. Why would they have to give anything but full disclosure? Also, we live in an age of ridiculously easy information gathering. We could put up a website with a shitload of links to youtube with each speech attached to each article. Sure, some people may go off the handbook alone, but you could always asterisk stances that may require more explanation.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: February 06, 2012, 09:33:07 am »

This sounds like an idea to achieve parliamentary results but in a roundabout, unreliable fashion.  If you want to vote for a slate of positions then why not vote directly for a slate of positions with a parliamentary system?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: February 06, 2012, 10:21:58 am »

The thing is, the american system isn't supposed to be an never was supposed to be about "issues" - it's always supposed to have been about finding the smartest, most capable guy for the job (of passing good laws and representing our regional interests).

Much as I like that ideal, we don't seem to be particularly good at achieving it. Bah, partisanship... Start with "solutions" and then expend all your effort looking for justifications as to why you were right all along. It's retarded as all hell.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: February 06, 2012, 10:55:32 am »

The thing is, the american system isn't supposed to be an never was supposed to be about "issues"

But it doesn't work that way so it's really past time we updated our voting processes to reflect that.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: February 06, 2012, 03:38:45 pm »

I officially need to take a break from politics.

I woke up this morning having a lucid dream about hosting a cable "news" show, being lumbered with moderating a couple talking heads bashing/praising Obama, while I played with an interactive map of the Keystone Pipeline.  Interestingly enough, the pro-Obama person was a bit more ethnic than usual.  Then it turned into The Boondocks.

Anyway.

I was busy all weekend, and didn't even notice the Nevada primary came and went.  Apparently nobody here did either.  I hear they had some crazy counting fuckup and took like two days to produce an official result, but that's nothing new.  The more interesting point might be that Romney won with an exact 50.1% majority, but still actually counted something like fifteen thousand less votes than he did four years ago, in an election that saw 20% less turnout altogether.  That sounds significant to me.

I'll get around to updating the OP sooner or later.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: February 06, 2012, 04:26:22 pm »

I officially need to take a break from politics.

I woke up this morning having a lucid dream about hosting a cable "news" show, being lumbered with moderating a couple talking heads bashing/praising Obama, while I played with an interactive map of the Keystone Pipeline.  Interestingly enough, the pro-Obama person was a bit more ethnic than usual.  Then it turned into The Boondocks.

Anyway.

I was busy all weekend, and didn't even notice the Nevada primary came and went.  Apparently nobody here did either.  I hear they had some crazy counting fuckup and took like two days to produce an official result, but that's nothing new.  The more interesting point might be that Romney won with an exact 50.1% majority, but still actually counted something like fifteen thousand less votes than he did four years ago, in an election that saw 20% less turnout altogether.  That sounds significant to me.

I'll get around to updating the OP sooner or later.

It was absolutely silly. They took well over 24 hours to finish the count, had to recount three times, there were shenanigans regarding the counting, and its looking like a state-wide recount is inbound because of problems in Washoe.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 714