Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721074 times)

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1890 on: February 13, 2012, 08:03:43 pm »

SMBC has something relevant to just about any situation.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that if Santorum is complaining about you, you must be doing something right.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: February 13, 2012, 08:10:29 pm »

Gods help me for lacking the impulse control, but...

... are you sure you don't mean "something left?"
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: February 13, 2012, 08:11:07 pm »

I see what you did there  :P

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: February 13, 2012, 09:16:42 pm »

Alright, so, what have we learned today?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: February 13, 2012, 09:22:47 pm »

Very little in all likelyhood.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: February 13, 2012, 09:29:38 pm »

That today is apparently a quiet day for the primaries. Only news I heard in passing on th'TV was that Houston singer kicking it.

Though, uh, I'm not entirely sure how much noisier the rest of the primaries will get, insofar as mudslinging goes. It kinda' feels like at this point all the dirt has been dug up.

Aren't we in a dry spell for votes-that-actually-matter or something?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: February 13, 2012, 10:48:22 pm »

There's been some interesting polling that shows Santorum ahead in Michigan.  If he wins there then he will probably knock Gingrich into second tier status and could turn this into a 1 on 1 contest, which is pretty much the worse case scenario for Romney.  Santorum probably isn't as open to negative ads as Gingrich so Romney wouldn't be able to ad blitz carpet bomb him as easily.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: February 13, 2012, 11:19:14 pm »

Romney would be worried because he'd face an opponent with less than an aircraft carrier full of political baggage.

I'm sure Jon Stewart would be thrilled though, he loves him some Santorum jokes.

I feel like we need some old-timey retrospective of the past-crazy Republican candidates, shot in Sepia-tone and scored with wistful piano music. Bonus points if their mouths are agape as they shout terrible things.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:21:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: February 14, 2012, 10:41:02 am »

New relevant polling data:

For the first time, Rick Santorum is now leading in national-level polling. In the last 4 days, Santorum lead Romney in 3 of 4 national tracking polls. This is pretty big news. After the Iowa near-win that later turned out to be a real win, his national-level support only jumped up as high as 17.3%. He's now polling at 30.2% on average, narrowly edging out Romney at 28.6%. Gingrich continues to freefall, dropping to 16.4% and Ron Paul is essentially flat at 12%.

With two weeks left until the Arizona and Michigan primaries, Michigan has swung 30 points, turning a +15 Romney state on 2/1 into a +15 Santorum state by 2/12. That's some jaw-dropping change of heart right there, which tells you that people have just never been solidly sold on Romney. Or maybe they're finally starting to admit to themselves that this thing just ain't gonna happen in 2012, and that admission of pre-defeat frees them to vote for the crazy mofo that they've always wanted to vote for deep down.

Recent (2/9) poll in Georgia still shows Gingrich in the lead, but that lead has been cut down to single digits. The fascinating part is that it's no longer Romney he's having to fend off.

Georgia, 2/2 (Survey USA):
45%: Newt Gingrich
32%: Mitt Romney
9%: Rick Santorum
8%: Ron Paul

Georgia, 2/9 (Landmark/Rosetta Stone):
35%: Newt Gingrich
26%: Rick Santorum
16%: Mitt Romney
5%: Ron Paul

Will Gingrich turn the long knives on Santorum after AZ/MI? Is he going to hold out hope for dual wins in Ohio and Georgia on 6 March to rekindle his campaign, and/or will he fold if he loses those races? I still maintain that if Gingrich folded and threw his weight behind Santorum, the hardcore conservative cannibalism cycle would be complete, and Rick Santorum would be the Christian conservative Kwisatz Haderach.

Who will promptly be devoured by Shai-Obama in the general election.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1899 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:39 am »

Every time I hear about Santorum doing well in the polls, it strikes me that I live in a country with hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of astoundingly ignorant people.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: February 14, 2012, 12:41:03 pm »

Every time I hear about Santorum doing well in the polls, it strikes me that I live in a country with hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of astoundingly ignorant people.
You should be thrilled when he pulls ahead, because the majority are still not going to vote for a guy like Santorum.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: February 14, 2012, 01:35:29 pm »

You should be thrilled when he pulls ahead, because the majority are still not going to vote for a guy like Santorum.
I agree with you in principle, but I also remember that people said a majority of Americans were not going to vote a black guy with the middle name "Hussein". Or that a pro wrestler would never be elected governor. Or that an aging cowboy actor would never be elected President.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1902 on: February 14, 2012, 01:58:26 pm »

I am terrified that my country may be insane enough to elect Santorum president.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: February 14, 2012, 02:12:06 pm »

I am terrified that my country may be insane enough to elect Santorum president.
I'm not quite that terrified yet, in part because if they did it would no longer be my country.
I still have faith (no pun intended) that most people just don't want religion in their daily lives. Certainly that's a tough view to maintain at times, when you have no shortage of people that wish you "a blessed day" in the course of normal speech, or people that have Bible citations as their license plates...but I have to remind myself that those are just the much more visible minority.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: February 14, 2012, 09:37:39 pm »

I hope my prediction that people will burst out of the woodwork to vote against Santorum comes true. I cannot imagine my college years being filled with Santorum jokes.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 714