Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717422 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3045 on: April 06, 2012, 01:36:11 pm »

Nikki Haley would be a pretty big gamble.  It would mean that to the bigoted eye the GOP ticket would consist of two non-Christians, Mormon and Sikh.  But still, it's not like bigots would ever vote for the conservative candidate so maybe Romney won't care about alienating them.

But seriously, risking that kind of base alienation is something that Romney might risk if he continues to trial in the polls and feels like it's worth taking a gamble.  If the race tightens a bit (which I expect it will with the divisive primary over), then I expect him to go with a white guy from Congress or the Senate.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: April 06, 2012, 01:46:54 pm »

On that note....Bobby Jindal?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: April 06, 2012, 01:56:14 pm »

You mean Kenneth from 30 Rock?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nah, Jindal had his day in the spotlight (delivering the GOP response to Obama's first SOTU address), and he tanked hard. He kinda rebounded some with the way he responded to disaster relief in Louisiana (which is to say, he actually responded and didn't fuck it up) but he's had a low profile the last couple of years.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: April 06, 2012, 03:53:47 pm »

Whoever responds to the SOTU is basically a sacrificial lamb.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: April 10, 2012, 02:05:19 pm »

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/santorum-to-suspend-presidential-campaign/
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/rick-santorum-suspends-presidential-campaign/story?id=16109635

Rick Santorum dropped out. Who knows, will Gingrich pick up the delegates and come back in? Will Mitt Romney get the nomination as planned? Or will someone finally vote for Ron Paul? (Not likely.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: April 10, 2012, 02:40:56 pm »

Who knows, will Gingrich pick up the delegates and come back in? Will Mitt Romney get the nomination as planned? Or will someone finally vote for Ron Paul? (Not likely.)
I'm betting all three.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: April 10, 2012, 02:41:12 pm »

The announcement comes the day after Santorum's 3-year-old daughter Bella was released from the hospital -- her second trip this year. Bella suffers from a rare and often fatal disorder called Trisomy 18.
He mentioned Bella and her condition as one of the reasons he joined the race -- to look out for Americans like her, who he said are "left behind."

Of course, campaigning against health care is the best way to help Americans with incurable congenital disorders!
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: April 10, 2012, 02:41:36 pm »

I think that's Game Over. I don't see Gingrich picking up that many of Santorum's supporters, who are probably busy engaging in the sort of mental gymnastics required to do an about-face and support Romney in the general election.

I'd expect Romney to start winning states outright now (better than 50%). If he still doesn't, then the GOP gots some 'splainin to do. Those majority wins mean this whole thing will be wrapped up before the convention. So much for seeing riots in Tampa.

The big event now will be picking the Veep. Wonder if he'll do it before the convention.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: April 10, 2012, 02:55:31 pm »

It was already game over.  Romney has already won quite a few states with %50+.  He won two of the past three contests with %50+.  Romney got about as many delegates on April 3rd as Santorum took on Super Tuesday.

Santorum dropping out changes nothing.  Romney already had a lock on winning without a brokered convention.  He was already pivoting to the general and wasn't doing any more debates.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:57:29 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: April 10, 2012, 05:52:20 pm »

Oh well. Santorum 2016?

Dear lord, let us hope not.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: April 10, 2012, 07:05:44 pm »

I think that's Game Over. I don't see Gingrich picking up that many of Santorum's supporters, who are probably busy engaging in the sort of mental gymnastics required to do an about-face and support Romney in the general election.

I feel both more and less like a heel for not updating the OP since... the Tuesday before Super Tuesday if I'm not mistaken.  Fare thee well, Rick.  You had a good run for a guy who couldn't be elected in a million years.

Not that this thread is going anywhere, aw Hell naw.  We've got seven months left before the election, and it's going to be a long long road.

For instance, George Bush is back.  I wonder how long it'll be before Mitt Romney has to formally accept his endorsement.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: April 10, 2012, 09:03:58 pm »

You know, the thing that irked me about him possibly the most- run-of-the-mill bigotry is, at the end of the day, something that will be safely ignored, after all- is that there was one issue on which he was, on one level, entirely right, just for entirely wrong reasons, and that's the American family. Now, don't get me wrong- the reason the American family is going through trouble at the moment isn't gay people marrying, and it's certainly not welfare. It's the fact that America has taken the '50s suburban dream and the assumption that any generation is going to be better off than its parents to its logical conclusion, in which any generation must be better off than its parents, and the danger has just intensified as secure, well-paid blue-collar manufacturing jobs which just required a high school diploma have been replaced by better-paid, but less secure office jobs that require ever-increasing levels of education. There's also his bashing of single mothers. Well, Mr. Santorum, we're now in an age where mom can support a kid, and fairly prosperously, too. Still, if the idea of fidelity to one's partner is something we want to uphold, not something I'm against by any means, let's figure out why it's failing- I suspect it's more the fault of us guys than the womenfolk.

My father, for example, is the chair of the history department at a nationally-respected prep school in a major American city. That means the family (happily un-divorced and at no point near it) can afford to send me, since we get half off tuition plus a pretty good need-based aid package. So I'm growing up around rich kids, often the sons and daughters of executives or the owners of prosperous small business chains. Although they don't show it, my (senior) classmates are getting back their college replies, and I'm certain that a number of them go home and have severe breakdowns because they didn't get into an Ivy. My plans are to become an academic involved with either foreign languages or (hopefully) linguistics, and academics aren't really subjected to the ups and downs of the job market in quite the same way; the job market for most profs is always bad, the job market for people who speak multiple languages [especially Portuguese, Mandarin, Arabic, etc.] almost always good, and neither of these are really influenced by recessions very much. Even so, like everyone in my age group, my biggest worry is having a decent job when I'm 30 years old. My parents, of course, having secure jobs and having grown up in the postwar economic boom decades, tell me not to worry about it too much. They may be right- America, luckily, doesn't idolize working for the same company your entire life like Japan does, which created an entire generation of parent-dependent NEETs who couldn't find a job once the '90s recession hit. Even so, the idea of working for 9 or 10 bucks an hour at age 30 because there's nothing better is a very real fear for my generation, and one we should address. My more cynical side would reply that if you're going to go to college to get a good job, get a degree in something for which jobs are plentiful. That's easy for me to say, being a budding polyglot who sneers at majors in "leisure studies", but we were promised collectively, as a generation, that there would be jobs available for the MBAs we took on tens of thousands of dollars of debt to acquire. Nobody's at fault, really, not even the Baby Boomers- you can't really hold an entire generation at fault collectively, even if they've probably screwed the pooch on global warming and are obstructing dialogue about what to do with Social Security- but it does need to be addressed, and that may well mean changing the way we think about college.

However, and unfortunately, Santorum's righteous crusade against TEH GAYZ on behalf of THE CHILDREN has likely delayed constructive national discussion on this sort of thing for a while.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:27:36 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: April 10, 2012, 10:27:25 pm »

-Your entire post-

A lot of my classmates went off to liberal arts collages, I knew back then that was a horrible idea for job security. I went to a technical school, I learned a trade, and I got a decent job after I got my certificate. Most of my high school classmates realized a bit to late that there isn't a whole lot you can do with an English degree, most of them are working in fast food joints, or gas stations. I'm thinking about getting a welding certificate just in case things go to shit, it never hurts to have a few practical, marketable skills.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: April 10, 2012, 10:31:05 pm »

You are much smarter than many an English major running around... I'm just going to learn Chinese, Portuguese and Pashto and hope that means job security.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44:44 pm »

You are much smarter than many an English major running around... I'm just going to learn Chinese, Portuguese and Pashto and hope that means job security.
Chinese and portuguese? You bet you can find a job, with how much trade we have with china & south america.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 714