Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720897 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3240 on: April 26, 2012, 10:02:58 am »

</sarcasm tag>

Really, its just another of the ways they were the same, since they ultimately passed practically the same healthcare plan.

Does anyone actually have any significant differences between them action-wise?

Obviously, their environments haven't been the same, so it's hard to get good concrete examples, but I'm legitimately interested.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: April 26, 2012, 10:57:58 am »

Try reading their budgets sometime and tell me if you think they are the same.  Very short summery:

Obama, stay close to current levels, give aid to states to prevent layoffs of teachers and cops.  Slight tax increases for the rich.  Maintain the payroll tax cuts for another couple years.  Slight decrease in military spending.  Continue to grant waivers for No Child Left Behind for states that are meeting certain benchmarks.

Romney, immediately cut all domestic spending 5%.  Do further cuts to 20% on average.  Increase military spending.  Do not maintain the payroll tax cuts.  Cut the income tax rates by 20%.  Pay for these cuts the difference by unspecified reforms.  Do not give aid to states to prevent layoffs of teachers and cops.  Defund the exchanges set up by the Affordable Care Act.

Budgets are the places where politicians can not hide behind evasive language and lay out what they are actually proposing.  And what they are proposing agrees almost nowhere.  The only place I can think of where their budgets actually agree is that Romney wants to maintain the reforms Obama passed on federal support for student loans.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: April 26, 2012, 09:32:51 pm »

What the hell. http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/26/11415282-agenda-21-arizona-close-to-passing-anti-un-sustainability-bill?lite
Arizona lawmakers appear close to sending to Gov. Jan Brewer a tea party-backed bill that proponents say would stop a United Nations takeover conspiracy but that critics claim could end state and cities’ pollution-fighting efforts and even dismantle the state unemployment office.
About the Rio declaration, SB1507 says “the United Nations has enlisted the support of numerous independent, shadow organizations to surreptitiously implement this agenda around the world.”

Rep. Terri Proud, R-Tucson, told supporters in an email that the U.N. declaration “will take away our rights as Americans by allowing the United Nations to mandate laws on our soil,” the AzCapitolTimes.com reported. “It’s very real and it is happening.”

The Times also reported that during House debate Wednesday, Rep. Jack Harper, R-Surprise, said the declaration is connected to the “occult” of sustainability.

"The tea party and conspiracy theorists run the state now, Campbell told msnbc.com.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: April 26, 2012, 09:46:11 pm »

Romney, immediately cut all domestic spending 5%.  Do further cuts to 20% on average.  Increase military spending.  Do not maintain the payroll tax cuts.  Cut the income tax rates by 20%.  Pay for these cuts the difference by unspecified reforms.  Do not give aid to states to prevent layoffs of teachers and cops.  Defund the exchanges set up by the Affordable Care Act.

Did Romney actually do these with any of his budgets? Because, having never been president, most of them don't even seem possible.

In fact, what this looks like is a whole but how he "might" be different from Obama.

What this tells me is that you either didn't read my question, or can't answer it. I'm not asking much, just a single substantive instance of implemented policy that would distinguish the two.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: April 26, 2012, 09:47:27 pm »

What the hell.

Sadly, this is not new. Didn't we go over that one point where the idea of fixing up our infrastructure somehow led to 'THE UN IS TRYING TO TAKE OVER AMERICA!!!111!!one' sometime ago? I can't remember what it was...
Otherwise, what the hell indeed.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: April 26, 2012, 11:46:42 pm »

What the hell.

Sadly, this is not new. Didn't we go over that one point where the idea of fixing up our infrastructure somehow led to 'THE UN IS TRYING TO TAKE OVER AMERICA!!!111!!one' sometime ago? I can't remember what it was...
Somewhere in there...   "Derr tacking r jerbs!"
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: April 27, 2012, 12:51:14 am »

Did Romney actually do these with any of his budgets? Because, having never been president, most of them don't even seem possible.

Well this is what his budget proposals say he will do in order to make the numbers add up.  If they seem impossible to you then I suggest you draw the natural conclusion from that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3247 on: April 27, 2012, 01:31:08 am »

The problem with Arizona is that the government accurately represents the will of the people.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: April 27, 2012, 08:26:44 am »

What the hell.

Yup. It's an astroturf campaign that's popped up all over the country (I posted about it here in Raleigh, where the head county commissioner was all "BOO HISS local sustainability study! It's a UN plot to regulate our precious bodily fluids and our freedums!" and the Democratic members of the board were too busy going "Uhh....what?" to actually give a proper rebuttal.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: April 27, 2012, 09:58:41 am »

Well this is what his budget proposals say he will do in order to make the numbers add up.  If they seem impossible to you then I suggest you draw the natural conclusion from that.
That it's empty rhetoric?

In other news, Obama has come up with a new way to justify failing to follow through on his campaign promises.

Deny deny deny that he ever said anything ever like that.

I mean, saying something like "When I got into office, I discovered the situation was different than I originally thought, and had to adapt accordingly". But outright denying you said the things we have recordings of, because you said it multiple times in multiple places, just seems... kind of stupid.

This is specifically the war on drugs stuff - throughout his campaign, he stated several times that he would not not interfere with state marijuana laws, that he would direct the justice department to focus their efforts elsewhere and he would do his best to leave it to the states.

Since taking over, he's done the exact opposite, and is now campaigning on "the law is the law, and we can't let states get away with breaking it, and its preposterous to think I ever said otherwise".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:02:19 am by GlyphGryph »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: April 27, 2012, 10:16:25 am »

Y'know, one could campaign Obama as the first female president of America; the lack of balls would be proof of this.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: April 27, 2012, 10:56:58 am »

And, I mean, its stuff like that where he literally has no excuse. The Republicans couldn't stop him there. He either lied about wanting to back off, or decided it wasn't worth the effort, and either way I'm pissed.

People may remember that I think the Drug War is potentially the single most important issue we face right now (though there are a number of other important issues) simply because it touches, enhances, or causes so many other areas of fucked up governance.

And it makes me sad.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: April 27, 2012, 11:14:59 am »

NY Times is reporting that Gingrich has told Romney he will drop out of the race next week.

Also, not to interrupt the progressive handwringing over the failure of Obama, but I have to say, I've seen this before. Where was it? Oh yeah...all those people saying "Al Gore and George Bush are two sides of the same coin. Doesn't matter which one you elect."

Guess what? It mattered. Whatever Al Gore's failings (and he has many), I seriously doubt he would have unilaterally invaded Iraq and enacted a $1 trillion tax cut for the wealthy.

When I see something like "In my opinion the only difference between obama and romney is skin color", I just want to break out the Wayback Machine and turn the dial to 2000.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: April 27, 2012, 11:25:29 am »

RedKing, I'm just cynical and disillusioned, leave me alone. Imma go back to playin' grimrock >.>
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: April 27, 2012, 11:25:58 am »

Any politician that goes into a major depression after seeing just how easily the masses can be influenced to screw themselves is okay in my book. I miss Gore, and wish we could have a highly educated, progressive president. I guess people are just uncomfortable having their country run by a man that's most likely smarter than them.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 714