Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 695991 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3540 on: May 17, 2012, 04:46:47 pm »

Blind, seething hatred I would be willing to chalk up to bigotry. Disagreeing with his policies I would not.

But, that's the issue with alot of people I know. They disagree with his policies simply on the fact that they do not like him [for the aforementioned reasons, bigotry would be a better way to summarize it] which bothers me more than simple bigotry, since they think they're the ones who should be voting and making decisions on who runs what, when they obviously have no goddamn idea what/why/how to disagree with someone without making it a personal issue.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: May 17, 2012, 05:33:34 pm »

I think it depends on where in the country you live, in terms of why people dislike/like Obama. Most of the people I know in NY dislike Obama because he is too liberal on the economy.

Some of my family in the midwest however hate Obama because he is black. Some of my family and freinds in Michigan hate him because he doesn't stand up for their religious priniciples.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: May 17, 2012, 05:35:00 pm »

It's still a bit silly to chalk it all up to race. You're conflating any sort of personal attack against him as racism, which is frankly ridiculous. There are plently of other really damn stupid reasons for not liking him other than racism; assuming it's the most obvious (and easiest to attack!) is a classic strawman.

I shouldn't need to qualify this but since I'll get attacked otherwise: obviously yes there are plenty of racists out there who hate him due to race. It's just far, far from every republican who dislikes him as a person.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: May 17, 2012, 06:12:30 pm »

Hey, thanks for pointing out a point that needed no explanation as that wasn't what I was arguing.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: May 17, 2012, 06:20:13 pm »

*goes back and reads*

Oops. Yep. Well replace every instance of the word "race" with "incorrectly calling him a Muslim" and there ya go :P
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: May 17, 2012, 06:24:44 pm »

*goes back and reads*

Oops. Yep. Well replace every instance of the word "race" with "incorrectly calling him a Muslim" and there ya go :P

I'm talking about how the bigotry is usually thinly veiled under vague economic policy attacks that people really have no idea what the hell they're spewing when they say things like that. It just grinds my gears to see Ad campaigns like the one I listed before, which are obviously racially charged and motivated. Nowhere did I say every republican who happens to be white is a racist, just a disparagingly large amount of them seem to be more scared of the fact that he's not white and happens to not be a rightwing nutjob, so it gives them more motivation to just hate him for no reason other than superficial reasons.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:27:18 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: May 17, 2012, 06:29:42 pm »

People believing shallow propaganda seems a fact of life nowadays. And personally, I think it's far more politically motivated than anything; the racial and religious undercurrents are just to appeal to the racists and bigots out there. If Obama was a white caucasian who grew up in Kentucky, there would be other ridiculous crap being thrown at him.

I mean, look at Clinton. They had to smear him with a sex scandal, of all things. They'll throw whatever insults they can get their hands on.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: May 17, 2012, 06:34:52 pm »

nowadays

Dropping into my own thread to say how much I hate that word.  Or any permutation thereof like "these days" or "recently".  Nothing is Goddamn different, be cynical on your own time.

Regarding the PAC thing, I'm pretty sure the "Abraham Lincoln" comment was what the group wanted in the guy they'd stand up against Obama.  Like they said, a "metrosexual black Abraham Lincoln", to counteract the presumably metrosexual black Leon Trotsky they think Obama is.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: May 17, 2012, 06:39:01 pm »

nowadays

Dropping into my own thread to say how much I hate that word.  Or any permutation thereof like "these days" or "recently".  Nothing is Goddamn different, be cynical on your own time.
If it makes you feel better, I do think we're getting better, not worse :P We don't gleefully accept any propaganda thrown our way anymore (like we did during WWII).

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: May 17, 2012, 10:11:12 pm »

nowadays

If it makes you feel better, I do think we're getting better, not worse :P We don't gleefully accept any propaganda thrown our way anymore (like we did during WWII).
It sort of depends a little on what you'd call propaganda, but what about "Iraq has weapons of mass destruction", "the wealth will trickle down", "there's no difference between corn sugar or cane sugar", or a disturbingly large slice of what Fox News says (or doesn't say, such as in the case of Ron Paul)?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: May 17, 2012, 10:56:14 pm »

I think propaganda has grown much more sophisticated, while larger portions of the population have grown cynical/resistant.  Unfortunately, it's really easy to toss out information as propaganda just because it comes from authorities you dont' trust, and then follow your suspicions in the opposite direction, only to fall into acceptance of even worse propaganda.  I've watched intelligent people do this, and try to maintain a self-awareness that might prevent me from doing this myself.  But who knows?  We're at a point where truth is completely a matter of what sources you choose to trust, and there's very rarely a reason to choose one source over another that can be considered objectively absolute.

As for the Abraham Lincoln thing, which may be a related issue, the growing libertarian movement sees the civil war as having been a conflict over limitations of federal jurisdiction more than the issue of slavery, and hates Lincoln's guts for beginning an expansion of federal power.  This is probably why associating Obama with Lincoln is symbolic for them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: May 19, 2012, 06:31:07 pm »

The Paulbots took over the Minnesota GOP nominating convention, claiming 32 of the 40 delegates from this state.  Also, their wacko candidate won the contest to be crushed by Klobuchar in November.  To be honest, I'm not quite sure what they hope to accomplish; most likely they'll just be barred from voting in the National Republican Convention in Tampa.

Of course, Minnesota has so few Republican delegates it doesn't make much of a difference unless they actually manage to stage coups in states with more delegates.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: May 20, 2012, 12:29:53 pm »

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but it's important and welcome news to me:
APNewsBreak: 22 states, DC back Montana in Supreme Court corporate spending fight

Also notice the following from the article:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If someone wants to make a new thread due to the importance of the issue it's cool with me but I figured I'd put it here first.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: May 20, 2012, 03:31:55 pm »

I just want to know who the heck the American Tradition Partnership is.

American Tradition Partnership (ATP) is a no-compromise grassroots organization dedicated to fighting the radical environmentalist agenda. We support responsible development of natural resources and rational land use and management policies. Only together can we protect access, private property rights, and affordable energy for all Americans!
Because, honestly, that's not very enlightening.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: May 20, 2012, 03:39:28 pm »

Well, they're a front for energy and extractive company that fight stuff like national parks, cap & trade and any environmental organization.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 714