Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717431 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4230 on: August 02, 2012, 03:00:36 am »

Perhaps I haven't been reading the exceptionally long (and growing!) posts here lately, but I'm increasingly beginning to wonder what gun control and nuclear missiles have to do with the upcoming election. So far as I know, neither candidate has even commented on current gun laws.

Don't worry about it. Thread topics on the Bay12 forums swerve off the rails regularly, but we eventually find them again. Although it can be REALLY entertaining when we don't.

I'm looking at you Kind DZA.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: August 02, 2012, 07:52:52 am »

Perhaps I haven't been reading the exceptionally long (and growing!) posts here lately, but I'm increasingly beginning to wonder what gun control and nuclear missiles have to do with the upcoming election. So far as I know, neither candidate has even commented on current gun laws.
Oh, they have. After what went down in Aurora, it was kind of impossible not to.
Romney's stance is "No new gun laws...the ones we have work fine, except when they don't, which just proves that new laws wouldn't help anyways."

Honestly, I'm not even sure what Obama's stance is, because he seems to want to have his cake and eat it too. He's been remarkably mum on gun control up until now, but some of his comments seem to suggest he'd be okay with reinstating the Assault Weapons Ban. Unfortunately, it wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hell of passing Congress at this point.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: August 02, 2012, 08:00:24 am »

Someone joked about shooting a plane down with a rocket launcher. Not something you wanna laugh at. Drones are airplanes, and them boys with arsonals are getting targeted by drones now. Just cameras on US soil, but bet that this situation  of a rocketlauncher will happen someday.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: August 02, 2012, 08:32:52 am »

Can we please get back to the actual election? Is anything interesting at all happening?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: August 02, 2012, 08:39:48 am »

There were primaries for senate and house races in Georgia and Texas, but other than that, nothing at all interesting.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: August 02, 2012, 08:43:51 am »

There were primaries for senate and house races in Georgia and Texas, but other than that, nothing at all interesting.
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE, THIS ELECTION IS SO BORING! SKIP TO 2016, WE'll DO IT LIVE!
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: August 02, 2012, 08:55:06 am »

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE, THIS ELECTION IS SO BORING! SKIP TO 2016, WE'll DO IT LIVE!

Obama's going to win anyway, why should we get all excited about it? Who the hell would elect Mitt Romney?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:57:38 am by Owlbread »

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: August 02, 2012, 09:00:19 am »

For me this election is about taxes. Romney is opposed to them unless poor people are paying them, obama seems indifferent.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: August 02, 2012, 09:01:47 am »

It's also about Romney opposing things he implemented in the past.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: August 02, 2012, 09:02:21 am »

Who the hell would elect Mitt Romney?
Everyone who doesn't want to elect Obama. It is to the point where Romney's slogan really should be "Not-Obama 2012". No one likes Romney for Romney, only for Romney not being Obama.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: August 02, 2012, 09:06:31 am »

Who the hell would elect Mitt Romney?
Everyone who doesn't want to elect Obama. It is to the point where Romney's slogan really should be "Not-Obama 2012". No one likes Romney for Romney, only for Romney not being Obama.
Isn't the other way around as well? Maybe not as much as with Romney, but with only two 'real' candidates I doubt the majority of the 'merkins are going to vote for someone they wholeheartedly like/support.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: August 02, 2012, 09:25:19 am »

For me it's a choice between ruinous corporate policies and a rogue nation.

Romney would get my support if I didn't think him too weak to stop our disreguard of the laws of war.

So with both choices I see further damage to the country in the thing I care most about. Romney just has the unfortunate habit of calling people who make over 250000 a year "job creators" when the truth is that this group employs less americans per dollar spent. The real job creators are around 125000 a year.

So yea, Romney has four strikes to Obama's three. To me, they are both out.

Stumps and Scamps 2012!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: August 02, 2012, 09:54:40 am »

You could look at your own state's elections and see how those are doing.  Of course, with your state being gerrymandered to hell and back the races may not be that exciting.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: August 02, 2012, 12:25:12 pm »

You could look at your own state's elections and see how those are doing.  Of course, with your state being gerrymandered to hell and back the races may not be that exciting.
I see you're familiar with North Christolina.  :-\

Especially thrilling is the race to see whether we elect for Governor a pro-business, anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, pro-fracking Republican, or a pro-business, anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, pro-fracking conservative Democrat.

It really is like the "John Jackson / Jack Johnson" race in Futurama. Except I don't have the option of voting for a malevolent, robotic Richard Nixon.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: August 02, 2012, 12:31:04 pm »

Mr. Schaden Freud esquire inside of me would find it interesting if Romney would win. The news are always more interesting with a dumbass republican in office. The sane part of me would like a third partier to get in, someone like Jill Stein.

EDIT: Now I don't agree with everything she says but from an outsiders perspective she seems a far sight better than both Obama and Generic-Republican.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:33:42 pm by Aptus »
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 714