Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721047 times)

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4845 on: August 19, 2012, 08:25:08 pm »

Yup, and only a couple pages later, the same Peter as long with the church of Jerusalem decide that converted Gentiles can discard the law, but should still respect 4 points: No sexual immorality, no eating food offered to idols and abstaining from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. So yeah, pork is okay, as long as there is no blood left, that is it has been killed by kosher mean.

Also, the Quran protect the christian, jews and some other minor abrahamic religion.

Anyway, I should not have responded to this. The point is that muslims are not actually mindless automaton following every written word of the Quran. Especially not when it comes to foreign policy.

I challenge you to find a single muslim who does not think Muhammad was infallible while following the word of Allah. That's like "Oh, I'm a Christian, but I don't like this whole Christ concept."

Thus, Muslims are being hypocritical in not recognizing Israel's right to exist through the Israelis making the Muslim armies look like a joke.

Thus, Barack Obama supports this hypocrisy by not applying the Muslim standard to Israel.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:28:38 pm by Urist_McDrowner »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: August 19, 2012, 08:29:37 pm »

Stop referring to Muslims as if you knew anything about the people in general, let alone the religion. As a Jew who is very against Israel on human rights terms [and the fact that we abandoned the land after stealing it for ourselves] I find your views to be alarming and rather annoying. You seriously can't not be a troll with how stalwart you are on your view that being a Muslim is akin to being a Zergling. It's not.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: August 19, 2012, 08:30:14 pm »

Start a different thread, man.  These religious discussions always crash and burn, so it's better to do it where there's fewer casualties.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: August 19, 2012, 08:34:26 pm »

Start a different thread, man.  These religious discussions always crash and burn, so it's better to do it where there's fewer casualties.

That's like a metaphor.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: August 19, 2012, 08:56:24 pm »

So back to politics, how about Joe Biden telling black people that Republicans will bring back slavery? 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: August 19, 2012, 09:01:57 pm »

He did?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4851 on: August 19, 2012, 09:02:03 pm »

So back to politics, how about Joe Biden telling black people that Republicans will bring back slavery?

He didn't. Its really really stretching it to call it anything other than a speech in which he used the word "chains" while there were black people in the audience.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: August 19, 2012, 09:04:27 pm »

Yes, I believe those were his exact words.

What he meant was that unregulated banks would exert a large degree of control over people, i.e. "put you in chains."  It's called a metaphor and you might have run across them occasionally.

Fun historical fact.  Did you know that when William Jennings Bryan said "you shall not crucify mankind on a cross of gold", he was not talking about literally crucifying people but was instead talking about monetary policy and how a silver standard would favor small farmers in the US?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: August 19, 2012, 09:05:21 pm »

Yes, I believe those were his exact words.

What he meant was that unregulated banks would exert a large degree of control over people, i.e. "put you in chains."  It's called a metaphor and you might have run across them occasionally.

Fun historical fact.  Did you know that when William Jennings Bryan said "you shall not crucify mankind on a cross of gold", he was not talking about literally crucifying people but was instead talking about monetary policy and how a silver standard would favor small farmers in the US?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/vp-biden-says-republicans-are-going-to-put-yall-back-in-chains/

“We got a real clear picture of what they all value,” Biden said. “Every Republican’s voted for it. Look at what they value and look at their budget and what they’re proposing. Romney wants to let the — he said in the first hundred days he’s going to let the big banks once again write their own rules, ‘unchain Wall Street.’ They’re going to put y’all back in chains.”

Admittedly, though, that last sentence is pretty inappropriate when completely taken out of context.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: August 19, 2012, 09:08:34 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gywibs2j4KQ

Well, let's think about this. When was the last time, save for people in jail, any American was in chains? Biden said "BACK in chains". Furthermore, he said "y'all" which is dumb, because the man's from Pennsylvania. This line was spoken to a crowd with large numbers of African Americans. Put the pieces together.

At any rate, we should have civility in political discourse. We can do better than this.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: August 19, 2012, 09:10:18 pm »

Well Biden does have a pretty clear history of putting his fist in his mouth and I'm pretty sure it was a slip of speech.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: August 19, 2012, 09:12:01 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gywibs2j4KQ

Well, let's think about this. When was the last time, save for people in jail, any American was in chains? Biden said "BACK in chains". Furthermore, he said "y'all" which is dumb, because the man's from Pennsylvania. This line was spoken to a crowd with large numbers of African Americans. Put the pieces together.

At any rate, we should have civility in political discourse. We can do better than this.

Metaphorical chains? Folk still are.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: August 19, 2012, 09:13:20 pm »

Yeah, we should really stop trying to put so much importance on small sentence. and I mean on both side, we liberals here have tended to spent too much time lambasting Romney (or other republicans) for stuff like that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: August 19, 2012, 09:13:32 pm »

Who The Hell Is Joe Biden is horrible at public speaking, but the chains he was referring to were almost certainly a metaphor for social inequality that existed in the past. "Y'all" is a common word in the US as a whole. You don't have to be from the South to say it, that's just where its most prevalent.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: August 19, 2012, 09:14:18 pm »

Shit, I say Y'all, and I'm from the Australian south.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 714