Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717562 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5880 on: September 28, 2012, 02:27:51 pm »

Right now I feel dizzy and separated from my body. I am having trouble focusing on anything and my arms hurt for no real reason.

I have no idea why.

you're lucky I even remembered the word magenta.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5881 on: September 28, 2012, 02:41:06 pm »

Back on the elections, five thirty eight has an interesting article on the effect of Romney's 47% comment.

Basically, it comes down to a 'Huh, yeah, maybe that really did have an effect.', which apparently most Gaffs don't do for very long.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: September 28, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »

Did we move on from the negative income tax yet? Wouldn't that end in runaway inflation?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: September 28, 2012, 03:10:15 pm »

Did we move on from the negative income tax yet? Wouldn't that end in runaway inflation?

???

No, inflation does not work that way.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: September 28, 2012, 03:14:02 pm »

You probably know better than me as my knowledge of economics boils down to this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: September 28, 2012, 03:18:23 pm »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: September 28, 2012, 03:19:01 pm »

You probably know better than me as my knowledge of economics boils down to this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which is disturbingly similar to economists knowledge of economics.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: September 28, 2012, 03:21:05 pm »

Economics teachers don't change the questions on their tests every year, they change the answers.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5889 on: September 28, 2012, 03:24:23 pm »

I don't find the argument that it would create inflation to be persuasive.

Price competition for goods will still exist, both within the market for a type of good and between them. It could just as easily lead to deflation because it would soften the minimum bound placed on demand due to abject poverty.

Hyperinflation is the result of an inflation of monetary supply. You have to print money in increasingly large volumes to create hyperinflation. So as long as the welfare system was funded primarily through taxes instead of printing money, its effect on inflation would be slight.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: September 28, 2012, 03:28:48 pm »

US progressive politicians are frigid towards the idea of reforming welfare because they got burned on welfare reforms in the mid 90s.  Welfare reform was supposed to be a bi-partisan way to get rid of freeloaders without hurting the needy.  But the problem is that freeloaders are few and far between, so it mostly just amounted to a system to make the poor jump through more humiliating hoops.  The conservatives have if anything grown less inclined to help the poor since then.  So another welfare reform is impossible, conservatives just want to slash, progressives feel once bitten twice shy.
An almost universal law of welfare is that any attempt to prevent "freeloaders" or "the undeserving poor" from getting money ends up costing more than it saves.  This is why I think universal benefits would be a better alternative than negative income taxes.

Back on the elections, five thirty eight has an interesting article on the effect of Romney's 47% comment.

Basically, it comes down to a 'Huh, yeah, maybe that really did have an effect.', which apparently most Gaffs don't do for very long.
I'm not that surprised.  I'd say it's essentially the economic equivalent of Todd Akin's "gaffe" (I'm not sure if gaffe is the word since in both cases it was them accidentally saying what they really thought).

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: September 28, 2012, 03:32:16 pm »

Leafsnail, I am pretty sure we were talking about the Basic Income version of the NIT (at least I was, when I first brought it up), which has as one of it's core components that there is no means test.

Although it should be emphasized that the NIT, especially the Basic Income variant we were discussing, is not a welfare system, but rather would eliminate the need for most of the welfare system. (it would not provide training opportunities or medical care, for example) Unless you consider social security welfare, I guess. because it works more like that.

But yeah, I don't see how that could possible cause inflation.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: September 28, 2012, 06:30:21 pm »

An almost universal law of welfare is that any attempt to prevent "freeloaders" or "the undeserving poor" from getting money ends up costing more than it saves.  This is why I think universal benefits would be a better alternative than negative income taxes.

Even not giving them money costs. They do get sick, for example, much easier - mostly because of malnutrition, stress, and lack of sanitation. Diseases, for some reason, don't want to kill only those "underserving" and have a nasty habit to mutate into new, potentially dangerous forms. A new strain of flu may be a parting gift from one of those people, who could have been treated instead.

It's also a good way to create a criminal class who hate the society that spurned them. Now the country needs even more, better armed police forces, who frequently has to deal with resentful and brutal outlaws. Courts and prisons? They also need more money. The cities? I could talk a lot about how neighboring slums affect land value, but it's probably easy to guess.

Talking about welfare cuts is not about saving money, it's about moving the expenses where they are harder to spot, so the blame could be shifted on commies, ingrates and wrathful gods of economy.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: September 29, 2012, 05:16:07 am »

My wife's grandparents (who raised her through most of her childhood in Arkansas) owned a house that they rented out.  At one point, they did rent out to some welfare freeloaders who were pretty much the most horrible people imaginable.  They adopted a large number of mentally disabled children and simply didn't care for them.  Barely fed and clothed the kids, let them run wild, pocketed all the financial benefits, and didn't work.  They eventually got found out and evicted.  My wife had to go clean up the mess with her grandparents.  Feces everywhere, etc.

So it's not a complete myth... but still an extreme rarity.  Plus, if people were guaranteed necessities, those children would have been spared that neglect.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5894 on: September 29, 2012, 09:04:54 am »

Oh god, those people. Yes, if you want to find the terrible people, look at foster-care/adoption. You don't get paid nearly as much for regular kids as foster kids, so anyone doing it for the money will probably go that route.

But this has been a thing for a long time. People have been abusing adopted kids since even before the government paid them too. Where the fuck was their social worker, though? It's bullshit.

These people weren't freeloaders, they were criminals.
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 714