Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721044 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6900 on: October 17, 2012, 08:36:54 pm »

I wanted to explain the Canadian system because there was some kind of vote-system discussion a while back and because it beats studying for Social. Quick, would you rather adopt this one?! (Also, I was hoping someone would explain all of the American system because I don't get it.)

In our (federal) system the country is split into 300-ish ridings with roughly equal population. Each riding elects an MP: most ridings have one or two independents/Greens/Rhinoceros Party. Every MP gets to sit in the House of Commons, so the independents that get elected can actually do something, although odds are low (we have one Green and a couple independents, I think I already mentioned this somewhere). Then the party with the most elected MPs gets its leader made Prime Minister (who usually also runs: one of my grandmas lives in Steven Harper's riding). The Prime Minister appoints the Senate, which is about a hundred guys who double-check all the stuff the House of Commons votes for. Everything has to be "inspected" (looked at briefly) by the Governor General, who is supposed to be channeling the intense power of the Queen but doesn't do much (even though they could if they wanted). We also have ministers who are just winning-party MPs given a fancy title and responsibilities.

The fun part is when we get a minority, because with three fairly strong parties it's possible to get a winning party with less than half the vote. Minorities can't do much, so the Conservatives unidentified winning party want an election as soon as possible to get a majority government. In a majority, the winning party can actually change policies without massive opposition hampering their every move. Recently, the NDP (the left party) started doing stuff and got ahead of the Liberals (they're like the Democrats, they're the wimpy-lefty party right now), until their leader died (was this in the American news? it was somewhat of a big deal) maybe three months in (like Ron Paul is expected to do, I guess). This messed everything up and a bunch of guys ran and eventually one of them won but nobody cares about him much. Meanwhile, the Conservatives are trying to pump a bunch of oil into old BC hippie communes so they can sell it to China, but everybody cockblocks this, which is a shame because now the giant tank full of oil in my great-grandma's back pasture won't get emptied as often. True story.

Yeah, so can someone sum up the American system in return? I get the President and the two parties, I just don't know who the governors are or what they do.

Also, even if nobody cares about this, I just wanted to write it all up because we have to study this pretty much every year and mid-terms are coming up. I'm sorry for wasting thread-space on non-American election-related material.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: October 17, 2012, 08:40:42 pm »

A riding is 110,000 people per district, IIRC.  In the U.S., district size varies from 600,000-750,000.  Of course, the Conservatives got a majority of seats despite winning only winning 39.62% of the vote.

2011 Canadian election.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: October 17, 2012, 08:50:46 pm »

Governors are basically presidents of their respective state. They sign state laws, and govern what their state does, much like the president does for the country. They have less power than the president though, because they operate on a state level as opposed to a federal level.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: October 17, 2012, 08:53:56 pm »

Governors are the heads of the individual states. Each US state has it's own congress/senate type system, though i think that one or 2 states have a unicameral legislature (only one house).

Governors are to the states what the President is to the nation.

So in the USA there are 3 broad levels, local politics, state politics, federal politics. Each state has their own system, so you can't always generalize about how things work.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: October 17, 2012, 09:04:10 pm »

The U.S political system still acts as if we weren't a nation but a giant alliance, even though that hasn't been the case since a few years after the Revolution.

Each state (U.S) acts like a State (Nation) except sort of vassalized to the Federal government. Republicans generally want to free up the markets, tighten up freedoms at home, and give more power to the state legislatures (hence, Republican). Democrats generally want to tighten up the markets, give more freedoms at home, and put the power in the federal government.

And the green party just wants to be noticed.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: October 17, 2012, 10:22:42 pm »

And Ron Paul wants to go back to 1896.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: October 17, 2012, 11:01:16 pm »

Goomba or anyone else out there who doesn't know and cares:

Basic explanation:

President, head of state, head of military, generally in charge of making sure laws are carried out, has veto power over any proposed law which can be overridden by a 2/3 majority of the law making portion. Elected every 4 years.

House of Representatives and Senate, together known as congress. They write and then vote on the laws and are also in charge of the budget. 435 Representatives, and 100 Senators. Representatives are distributed among the states by population. Senators are simply 2 per state. A law to be put into action has to be passed by both the House and the Senate and then signed by the President. Senators are in office for 6 years with 1/3 of them being re-elected every 2 years. Representatives are simply elected every 2 years. Vice President also presides over the Senate and in the rare case of a tied vote, becomes the tie breaker.

The judicial branch is an odd one and slightly hard to explain clearly, but basically they're in charge of making sure that laws follow the constitution, and are able to strike down laws they deem not following the constitution. In that case the only recourse is for congress and states themselves to come together with large majorities and add a new part to the constitution. This doesn't happen all that often for obvious reasons, but the constitution as it stands has 27 amendments.

States are pretty much set up like this as well(numbers can vary though). Governors replace the president on the state level. States are considered able to govern themselves in matters not already covered by the national government.

EDIT: And I'm sure someone will find fault with this. It is simplified and doesn't cover everything, and large parts of it are off the top of my head, the oldest information is from a civics class 10 years ago. In any case there you go. Still, know this information and you'll probably know more than a majority of US citizens would know.

Edit2: Ah, yeah, the Electoral college system. Consists of a vote for each member of congress, plus 3 given to the people of Washington D.C. who don't really belong to a state and would otherwise not have representation. Each state is allowed to decide how they divide up the votes. Some are winner take all, others are proportional, and a few have different methods. In theory, each vote is up to the representative, and they don't have to listen to the people at all, but in practice they follow the rules the states set out which usually involves a state wide popular vote to determine how the votes will go. Because of these odd rules you can end up with a popular vote that's split near even and still have the electoral college be a landslide for one candidate. Or in some cases the winner might not even have the popular majority. It also puts special emphasis on certain states, generally known as swing states. These states are both divided, in that they're not a sure vote for one or another party, and also worth a good number of votes. There are a few that always seem to be swing states, such as Florida, and others that vary year to year.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:16:30 pm by sluissa »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: October 17, 2012, 11:05:55 pm »

As for the election itself:
Yeah, so can someone sum up the American system in return?
It starts with the now-concluded primaries and then goes onto the upcoming electoral college which decides the election, which is too bad as the current system is broken as hell.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: October 17, 2012, 11:27:48 pm »

Goomba or anyone else out there who doesn't know and cares:

Basic explanation:

President, head of state, head of military, generally in charge of making sure laws are carried out, has veto power over any proposed law which can be overridden by a 2/3 majority of the law making portion. Elected every 4 years.

House of Representatives and Senate, together known as congress. They write and then vote on the laws and are also in charge of the budget. 435 Representatives, and 100 Senators. Representatives are distributed among the states by population. Senators are simply 2 per state. A law to be put into action has to be passed by both the House and the Senate and then signed by the President. Senators are in office for 6 years with 1/3 of them being re-elected every 2 years. Representatives are simply elected every 2 years. Vice President also presides over the Senate and in the rare case of a tied vote, becomes the tie breaker.

The judicial branch is an odd one and slightly hard to explain clearly, but basically they're in charge of making sure that laws follow the constitution, and are able to strike down laws they deem not following the constitution. In that case the only recourse is for congress and states themselves to come together with large majorities and add a new part to the constitution. This doesn't happen all that often for obvious reasons, but the constitution as it stands has 27 amendments.

States are pretty much set up like this as well(numbers can vary though). Governors replace the president on the state level. States are considered able to govern themselves in matters not already covered by the national government.

More stuff:

President has a limit of 2 terms (8 years total), and must fulfill the following requirements:

1. At least 35 years old
2. Natural-born citizen of the United States (naturalized citizenship doesn't count, hence the big deal about Obama's birth certificate)
3. Has been a resident of the United States for at least 14 years prior to being inaugurated.

Senators, Representatives, Governors, and other officials have no term limits. Senators must be at least 30, and Representatives must be at least 25. Eligibility for being a Governor of a state is set by the state's constitution.

Should the President ever be unable to serve (due to death, unconsciousness, unfit mental state like Alzheimer's, etc), the office is passed down to the next eligible member of the line of succession, which goes as follows:

Spoiler: Line of Succession (click to show/hide)

The official who takes over the office of President has to meet the same eligibility requirements for the Presidency, and must take the Oath of Office of the Presidency. Should any member of the line of succession be ineligible for Presidency (it happened not too long ago iirc), they are skipped.

For large public events where the President and a large number of the line of succession will be in the same place at the same time (like the annual State of the Union Address), the President will appoint a designated survivor out of the line, whose identity will not be disclosed until after the event, and who will be on Air Force One, flying above an unspecified location. If some event (like a terrorist attack or natural disaster) were to hit the event venue and kill/incapacitate the President and members of the line of succession present, the designated survivor will be able to take the Oath of Office and assume the Presidency.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: October 18, 2012, 12:20:35 am »

By the time the nation is led by the secretary of agriculture things have gotten pretty bad.

Like, getting-annexed-by-uganda bad.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: October 18, 2012, 12:24:32 am »

At least HomeSec is in last place, but we're probably already on the way to fascist dictatorship if we get that far down the line.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: October 18, 2012, 01:02:51 am »

At least HomeSec is in last place, but we're probably already on the way to fascist dictatorship if we get that far down the line.

Home... Secretary? *unspoilers text*

Oh, Homeland Security. Right. Because we don't have a Home Secretary.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: October 18, 2012, 01:07:43 am »

When HomeSec was first created in 2002, there were people wanting it to be #6.

By the time the nation is led by the secretary of agriculture things have gotten pretty bad.

If we get down to any of the Cabinet members, then something has gone seriously wrong. The President, Veep, Speaker, and President pro tempore all being incapacitated would mean that there is a serious, organized threat against the country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: October 18, 2012, 01:09:05 am »

If we get down to any of the Cabinet members, then something has gone seriously wrong. The President, Veep, Speaker, and President pro tempore all being incapacitated would mean that there is a serious, organized threat against the country.
By that time, we need Batman, not some cabinet member, to save our asses.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: October 18, 2012, 01:10:18 am »

By that time, we need Batman, not some cabinet member, to save our asses.

What if Batman is a Cabinet member?
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 714