Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 698296 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7860 on: November 03, 2012, 02:57:31 pm »

You're not hearing much about bipartisanship because the Republicans in congress refuse to compromise 99% of the time. The President tried to work with them in the past, and the only deals that were reached were largely with the few moderate Republicans who were still willing to compromise - and those are mostly out of Congress now, or retiring, as far as I know.

After the Tea Party came in, it was Obstruction City much of the time, but sometimes it was even worse:

Do you remember when time was running out to raise the debt ceiling? The Republicans in Congress convinced everyone that they were completely willing to make the government default on its debt, but would agree to raise it if their demands were met. In the end, there were no revenues included, only cuts, and cuts exceeded the debt limit increase (and yet we will have to raise it again early next year), even though the government has been able to borrow at negative real interest rates since 2010 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_debt-ceiling_crisis#Negative_real_interest_rates).

Quoth Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell: "I think some of our members may have thought the default issue was a hostage you might take a chance at shooting. Most of us didn't think that. What we did learn is this – it's a hostage that's worth ransoming."

I thought we had a policy not to negotiate with terrorists?

Some articles about what defaulting on the debt would probably have meant:

It could have crippling effects on the economy: http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/what-happens-if-the-debt-ceiling-isnt-raised/.

The federal government could be unable to fully fund itself: http://www.federaltimes.com/article/20110717/AGENCY05/107170302/Debt-ceiling-talks-What-failure-would-mean-you.

And quoting Timothy Geithner: "Under normal circumstances, investors who hold Treasuries purchase new Treasury securities when the debt matures, permitting the United States to pay the principal on this maturing debt. Yet in the scenario you advocate, in which the United State would be defaulting on a broad range of its other obligations, there is no guarantee that investors would continue to re-invest in new Treasury securities. In fact, some market participants have already indicated that they would be disinclined to do so. ... If investors chose not to purchase a sufficient volume of new Treasury securities, the United States would be required to pay the principal on maturing debt, and not merely the interest, out of available cash. Yet the Treasury would be unable to make these principal payments without the continued confidence of market participants willing to buy new Treasury securities." That is from http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/06/29/full-text-geithner-letter-responding-to-republicans-on-debt-limit/
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: November 03, 2012, 03:19:11 pm »

You're not hearing much about bipartisanship because the Republicans in congress refuse to compromise 99% of the time. The President tried to work with them in the past, and the only deals that were reached were largely with the few moderate Republicans who were still willing to compromise - and those are mostly out of Congress now, or retiring, as far as I know.

After the Tea Party came in, it was Obstruction City much of the time, but sometimes it was even worse:

Do you remember when time was running out to raise the debt ceiling? The Republicans in Congress convinced everyone that they were completely willing to make the government default on its debt, but would agree to raise it if their demands were met. In the end, there were no revenues included, only cuts, and cuts exceeded the debt limit increase (and yet we will have to raise it again early next year), even though the government has been able to borrow at negative real interest rates since 2010 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_debt-ceiling_crisis#Negative_real_interest_rates).

Quoth Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell: "I think some of our members may have thought the default issue was a hostage you might take a chance at shooting. Most of us didn't think that. What we did learn is this – it's a hostage that's worth ransoming."

I thought we had a policy not to negotiate with terrorists?

Some articles about what defaulting on the debt would probably have meant:

It could have crippling effects on the economy: http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/what-happens-if-the-debt-ceiling-isnt-raised/.

The federal government could be unable to fully fund itself: http://www.federaltimes.com/article/20110717/AGENCY05/107170302/Debt-ceiling-talks-What-failure-would-mean-you.

And quoting Timothy Geithner: "Under normal circumstances, investors who hold Treasuries purchase new Treasury securities when the debt matures, permitting the United States to pay the principal on this maturing debt. Yet in the scenario you advocate, in which the United State would be defaulting on a broad range of its other obligations, there is no guarantee that investors would continue to re-invest in new Treasury securities. In fact, some market participants have already indicated that they would be disinclined to do so. ... If investors chose not to purchase a sufficient volume of new Treasury securities, the United States would be required to pay the principal on maturing debt, and not merely the interest, out of available cash. Yet the Treasury would be unable to make these principal payments without the continued confidence of market participants willing to buy new Treasury securities." That is from http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/06/29/full-text-geithner-letter-responding-to-republicans-on-debt-limit/

Agreed. The problem isn't that Obama can't compromise with Republicans... it's that the Republicans have deliberately avoided compromise to make him look bad.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: November 03, 2012, 04:03:11 pm »

Its basically a group school project where two kids get grouped together and one hates the other so much he does no work and deliberately undermines the other and when they get a bad grade says the other kid fucked everything up.

At least, that's my analogy.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: November 03, 2012, 04:48:57 pm »

If you want an example of bipartisanship look at the response to Sandy. And some of the responses to that bipartisanship.

Unfortunately, dysfunctional politics are a part of the GOP's plan to get back into the White House. Hopefully if Obama is re-elected they give up on their "1-term president" plan and start working with Democrats to obtain actual compromises instead of unconditional surrender.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #7864 on: November 03, 2012, 04:56:45 pm »

If you want an example of bipartisanship look at the response to Sandy. And some of the responses to that bipartisanship.

Unfortunately, dysfunctional politics are a part of the GOP's plan to get back into the White House. Hopefully if Obama is re-elected they give up on their "1-term president" plan and start working with Democrats to obtain actual compromises instead of unconditional surrender.

Not sure if Chris Christie's word is going to make much of a difference, what with the multi-hour long gas lines and so on.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: November 03, 2012, 05:04:23 pm »

Is Christie a Traitor?

wut.

They do realize a hurricane just rolled over that state right?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: November 03, 2012, 05:06:47 pm »

Its basically a group school project where two kids get grouped together and one hates the other so much he does no work and deliberately undermines the other and when they get a bad grade says the other kid fucked everything up.

At least, that's my analogy.

It works on so many levels.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7867 on: November 03, 2012, 05:12:26 pm »

I maintain that the GOP is slowly but surely killing itself on their Obama hatred. It's become their driving force and isn't going anywhere.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: November 03, 2012, 05:14:49 pm »

Double unfortunately, the next four years will consist of floods of 'Impeach Obama' no matter what happens.

It's a good thing the last person you'll be seeing intimidated; is Chris Christie. I half-expect a hastily setup press conference where he tells Murdoch to fuck himself.

Rush Limbaugh called Christie "fat and a fool," saying Christie "doesn't know what he's talking about."

That's such a level of hypocrisy that makes my head spin, coming from the dense blob of cellulose that is Rush Limburger.
Spoiler: Avert your eyes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 05:23:14 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: November 03, 2012, 05:31:31 pm »

It's funny that the Republicans passed that amendment after the Democrats found the perfect wonder-president in FDR.

Then the Republicans found their messiah in Reagan, and must have been really mad when they realized he could only have two terms.

Weren't the Big Switch in between there though?
Love, scriver~

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7870 on: November 03, 2012, 05:38:29 pm »

Oh jesus christ.

I'm hoping the Republican party as a whole is replaced. Maybe by the Green Party. Probably not the Whigs, even though from the Wikipedia article I agree with them on most issues.

Or maybe they'll change names, like what happened in the early years of U.S Politics.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7871 on: November 03, 2012, 05:39:13 pm »

Maybe they'll be honest and come back as the Jesus Dollar Party.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7872 on: November 03, 2012, 05:40:23 pm »

Or go down kicking and screaming... that seems to be a popular theme with these guys.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: November 03, 2012, 05:59:17 pm »

I'm hoping the Republican party as a whole is replaced.

show me on the doll where the evul republicans touched you
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 06:04:44 pm by TripJack »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7874 on: November 03, 2012, 06:10:38 pm »

Let the record state that he turned out the pockets of the doll.
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 714