Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 688454 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7965 on: November 04, 2012, 08:59:37 pm »

So..

Why is there no movement for ranked candidates voting or whatever it's called in the US? Our electoral system is so horribly screwed up you would think Americans would be pushing for it harder than anyone.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: November 04, 2012, 09:04:46 pm »

Because no one cares about anything except their own side winning - the only people who would want it are the sides that will never have enough power to implement it, obviously.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: November 04, 2012, 09:44:20 pm »

So..

Why is there no movement for ranked candidates voting or whatever it's called in the US? Our electoral system is so horribly screwed up you would think Americans would be pushing for it harder than anyone.
Instant runoff voting. In a two-party system, who doesn't crush it? And how much clout does that party have?

Our politicians are playing with fire. America currently has a strong tradition of stability, maintaining stability. I think the news explained the danger of this fire with the Florida Gore situation. I'm not sure that if Dems pull a Florida that we won't have blood on the street this time. And third parties and moderates are locked out, because we don't want election spoilers and the powerful don't want reform.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: November 04, 2012, 09:51:02 pm »

So..

Instant runoff voting. In a two-party system, who doesn't crush it? And how much clout does that party have?

Our politicians are playing with fire. America currently has a strong tradition of stability, maintaining stability. I think the news explained the danger of this fire with the Florida Gore situation. I'm not sure that if Dems pull a Florida that we won't have blood on the street this time. And third parties and moderates are locked out, because we don't want election spoilers and the powerful don't want reform.
Considering how hated Obama is, Quite possibly.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: November 04, 2012, 09:57:11 pm »

Because no one cares about anything except their own side winning - the only people who would want it are the sides that will never have enough power to implement it, obviously.
Thats not true, I think that if a few minutes was spent explaining it to the average voter, 75% of them would accept and agree with it.
Those in power though will never implement it, since it both threatens their job as well as weakening the party they are part of.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: November 04, 2012, 10:37:07 pm »

Personally, I think the Republican party just needs to collapse under the combined weight of its' own hypocrisy and strikingly different factions (eg social conservatives, Ron Paul style libertarians and centrists).
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: November 04, 2012, 10:44:57 pm »

So how long till the world ends or the voting to finish, whatever it's called?

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: November 04, 2012, 10:47:48 pm »

Election's Tuesday, the world doesn't end for a couple of weeks.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: November 04, 2012, 10:52:05 pm »

I got it backwards then. I thought the world ends on Tuesday.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: November 04, 2012, 10:52:12 pm »

Election's Tuesday, the world doesn't end for a couple of weeks.

Elegantly put.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #7975 on: November 05, 2012, 12:06:50 am »

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: November 05, 2012, 12:17:00 am »

Man, I would have had fun making legal threats against them if I had been there. It would have been utterly bombastic and in my STADIUM ANNOUNCER VOICE TWO THOUSSSANNNNNNNNNDDDDDD!!!!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: November 05, 2012, 12:36:16 am »

Man, I would have had fun making legal threats against them if I had been there. It would have been utterly bombastic and in my STADIUM ANNOUNCER VOICE TWO THOUSSSANNNNNNNNNDDDDDD!!!!

If you had been there, you would have been planning on voting for Romney. Are you sure that's worth a few BRIAN BLESSED moments? :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: November 05, 2012, 12:55:01 am »

Don't be silly, I can infiltrate the political rally of a candidate I don't like.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: November 05, 2012, 04:37:51 am »

Don't be silly, I can infiltrate the political rally of a candidate I don't like.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
OH MY GOSH! It was YOU that they were looking for!
They weren't breaking the law in detaining people, but hunting for an attempted assassin!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 714