Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 698781 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9750 on: November 22, 2012, 02:49:12 pm »

The Democrats will probably go for Clinton. A pity too, since she sucks. In fact, I should assemble a Super PAC to repeal the 22nd amendment, so Obama can be re-elected.
It's funny, because before the first debate and the total acceptance of "biased polls FEVER." there were many republicans saying how the only thing keeping Obama from winning a third amendment with this weak republican ticket is that amendmant.

Never going to get it through considering that. You'd have to nuke half of america to get it passed.

Without that pesky amendment, Obama would basically become dictator-for-life at this rate.

On the other hand, without it, we'd have two decades of Reagan, too...
One would wonder what would have happened should the economical crisis have never been.

Healthcare for a lot of poor Americans + Nr 1. Enemy killed + ... = Away with 22 amendement?

Fixed quote screwup
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 02:58:19 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: November 22, 2012, 02:53:28 pm »

The Democrats will probably go for Clinton. A pity too, since she sucks. In fact, I should assemble a Super PAC to repeal the 22nd amendment, so Obama can be re-elected.
It's funny, because before the first debate and the total acceptance of "biased polls FEVER." there were many republicans saying how the only thing keeping Obama from winning a third amendment with this weak republican ticket is that amendmant.

Never going to get it through considering that. You'd have to nuke half of america to get it passed.

One would wonder what would have happened should the economical crisis have never been.

Healthcare for a lot of poor Americans + Nr 1. Enemy killed + ... = Away with 22 amendement?

Without that pesky amendment, Obama would basically become dictator-for-life at this rate.

On the other hand, without it, we'd have two decades of Reagan, too...

Just look at Russia's position. They're going to have Putin for a very, very long time unless people realise he's a very bad man. They're Russian though, I doubt that will happen for a while.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: November 22, 2012, 02:57:13 pm »

They realize it, it's just that the military and police don't care and are large and intimidating.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: November 22, 2012, 02:58:57 pm »

They realize it, it's just that the military and police don't care and are large and intimidating.
Putin is an extremely popular politician in Russia, even without the repression.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: November 22, 2012, 03:00:58 pm »

Putin is an extremely popular politician in Russia, even without the repression.
Actually, he is forging a Patriotic image for him and his government right now. Abandoning the west, "Post-democracy", and all that jazz. Not in Foreign Policy, but domestically.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: November 22, 2012, 03:04:12 pm »

I'd argue in Foreign Policy right now too. The Russian refusal to do anything in Syria is about protecting Russian national interests in their weapon sales to Syria, and so they can state that they haven't bowed to the pressures put on them by the US and International Community.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: November 22, 2012, 03:05:25 pm »

Only a few months ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/world/europe/anti-putin-protesters-march-in-moscow-russia.html?_r=0

Don't get your hopes up. They do not represent the Russian masses and I doubt they will for a long time. I love Russia but it's amazing how much the people of that nation frustrate and fascinate me.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 03:12:48 pm by Owlbread »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9758 on: November 22, 2012, 03:11:18 pm »

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9759 on: November 22, 2012, 03:14:33 pm »

No, but they mean there's a sizable opposition movement that could turn into a rebellion in the unlikely event Obama tries to install a dictatorship.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9760 on: November 22, 2012, 03:19:46 pm »

There's kind of an important difference in that they are irrationally accusing Obama of installing a dictatorship while Putin actually has a dictatorship.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9761 on: November 22, 2012, 03:25:21 pm »

There's kind of an important difference in that they are irrationally accusing Obama of installing a dictatorship while Putin actually has a dictatorship.

This. There's a very broad line between a country with increasingly powerful law enforcement and a full-fledged dictatorship.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9762 on: November 22, 2012, 04:04:13 pm »

Rule of thumb: If you can still talk about it in public, it's not a dictatorship.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9763 on: November 22, 2012, 04:08:21 pm »

I don't agree with that. whilst heavy censorship is normally associated with dictatorships, it's not a given, and democracies can be just as oppressive.

Dictatorship means ONLY that the people have no say whatsoever in who rules the country, it does NOT automatically imply 100% fascist control of every single aspect of your life. That's a misconception.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 04:11:19 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9764 on: November 22, 2012, 04:13:15 pm »

A place without dissent of the dictatorship would be totalitarian, like North Korea. Many modern dictators take the practical "democracy theater" approach to their dictatorship, where they stop being over-sensitive to people talking shit about them and give everyone at least the pretense of a democratic system even though it doesn't really work. If I'm a dictator, what do I care if I let my hated enemies have seats in the legislature, so long as it is never enough to overrule my puppets? Indeed, giving them "representation" keeps them under the illusion that the system is legitimate and just hasn't favored them, instead of planning to assassinate me or something.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 714