Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 688221 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9780 on: November 23, 2012, 06:03:11 am »

Putin is an extremely popular politician in Russia, even without the repression.

Actually... how do you know? There's no actual way to tell how popular he is, but the closest that's been done that I'm aware of seem to indicate most of the Russian populace want him gone, no?

It's just that there isn't anything they can actually do about it.

Where have you seen or heard that most of the Russian populace want him gone? If the majority wanted him gone they'd vote him out, but sadly the majority of Russians do want Putin. Look at the popular opinion over Pussy Riot. Something like 44% of the Russian population thought they should have gotten harsher setences.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: November 23, 2012, 06:04:45 am »

Yeah, Putin is acutally winning elections, even without the cheating that happen in the caucasus republics.

Russia is a democracy in which the people are constantly brainwashed to like Putin.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: November 23, 2012, 06:20:08 am »

Yeah, Putin is acutally winning elections, even without the cheating that happen in the caucasus republics.

Russia is a democracy in which the people are constantly brainwashed to like Putin.

And sadly, he does kick ass. Have you seen his "give my my pen" antics

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: November 23, 2012, 06:21:28 am »

Knowing several russians; he isn't popular, but all the people that hate him just get the hell out of the country while they still can.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: November 23, 2012, 06:35:21 am »

Depends on who you ask. The educated, worldy class don't like him, but he is populaor with the average Ivan.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: November 23, 2012, 07:05:06 am »

Depends on who you ask. The educated, worldy class don't like him, but he is populaor with the average Ivan.

Along with the "New Russians". The worldly, educated class are small nowadays.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: November 23, 2012, 08:14:29 am »

And Misk, last I checked no one's been elected by an actual majority (let's go with 2/3rds and make it easy) of the whole population, or even the total voting population, for a long, long damn time. The folks that have been getting voted in are doing so generally scraping in barely a slightly larger plurality of the voting population. And yeah, yeah, you can say "well, people don't give a shit or whatev' so they're not voting" but I'd say that does a pretty damn huge disservice to a lot of people that don't or can't vote. Not all of them, no, but a lot of them.
I personally count that as thing in favour of the current party setup. The fact that the difference between the parties is so close means that both parties are completely viable options for someone who wants to vote, so they actually have a choice. It means that parties are listening to the voters and changing their stance to reflect the changing attitudes of the country. As much as people are talking about how romney alienated everyone, he still got 48% of the popular vote.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: November 23, 2012, 10:18:15 am »

It's funny that you mentioned Nader, too.  He tried the same thing (in 2008?) and was threatened with arrest, when he even had a valid ticket to attend the debates.  Not participate.  He only wanted to attend.  When he questioned the officer about why this wasn't allowed, the officer produced a printout with the named and photos of every third party candidate and explained that he had specific orders to arrest any who attempted to enter the building.

Nothing about this seems wrong to you?

So if you are a third party candidate you can't go to private events without permission?  And security guards are smart enough to know you are likely to try?  Well one of those two things is surprising.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: November 23, 2012, 10:22:00 am »

Except that he had a valid ticket?

It may not be surprising, but it's still fucked up.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: November 23, 2012, 10:30:55 am »

Except that he had a valid ticket?

It may not be surprising, but it's still fucked up.

That and the fact that the biggest event in the biggest election in the country is a "private event"...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: November 23, 2012, 10:47:56 am »

Can I get a citation on him having a ticket?  I'm not finding anything to that effect through google.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: November 23, 2012, 11:23:55 am »

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: November 23, 2012, 12:14:40 pm »

Nader's Ticket to the Debate

I asked for a citation on a very specific thing, not a 10 minute long video with scary music and angry narrators talking about how unfair it is that Nadar wasn't invited.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: November 23, 2012, 12:28:02 pm »

Here's at least one source. The google search that found it was "did nadar have a ticket debate" sans quotes, and throws up a number of other sources regarding the incident.

Here's what wikipedia cites as the source for Nadar being turned away. And here's the wiki page itself.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: November 23, 2012, 04:58:27 pm »

Nader's Ticket to the Debate

I asked for a citation on a very specific thing, not a 10 minute long video with scary music and angry narrators talking about how unfair it is that Nadar wasn't invited.

Yeah, I know.  That video just happens to be how I learned about it, and despite its flaws, it manages to present a more coherent story than the textual sources I could find that seem to jump all over the place regarding details such as the election year when this occurred.  I got frustrated and just threw up the video because I needed to get to bed.  As far as I can tell, he's been turned away from the debates multiple times, but 2008 is when he actually had a ticket.  It also shows direct footage of the encounter between Nader and the police.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 714