Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 713

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 402047 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9810 on: November 26, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »

I'm just amazed at how much you've all gotten caught up in shit over Jindal when you've just glossed over the sheer power of Jesse Ventura. If not 2016 then 2020, we will probably see Jesse Ventura riding on horseback in his shining armour, like in that absurd painting.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: November 26, 2012, 12:56:34 pm »

Ventura has gardened a reputation as a conspiracy theorist, he's definitely not running.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9812 on: November 26, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »

Ventura has gardened a reputation as a conspiracy theorist, he's definitely not running.

He has said that he will consider running if people get a grassroots movement going, or if Ron Paul went independent. He's also been raising his media profile this year.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: November 26, 2012, 01:58:38 pm »

He's certainly not getting elected in any case.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9814 on: November 26, 2012, 02:12:19 pm »

Why's Ron Paul a republican, anyway? They aren't exactly close to his positions...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9815 on: November 26, 2012, 02:15:22 pm »

They used to be, and he agrees with them bigtime on the idea of states rights. That they have turned against the moderates and libertarians is a new development.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9816 on: November 26, 2012, 02:17:03 pm »

He's certainly not getting elected in any case.

But it'll be really exciting when he does run.

They used to be, and he agrees with them bigtime on the idea of states rights. That they have turned against the moderates and libertarians is a new development.

See now, I like the sound of State's Rights. I support autonomy and local government in a lot of ways. The problem is that the rights that are being put into question are stuff that I really think should be decided by a federal government.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9817 on: November 26, 2012, 02:18:52 pm »

Not really. The media will dismiss him as a lunatic, he'll have a strong cult following ala RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL, and then the GOP train wreck will continue onwards. At best he'll be like Herman Cain.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9818 on: November 26, 2012, 02:23:53 pm »

Not really. The media will dismiss him as a lunatic, he'll have a strong cult following ala RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL, and then the GOP train wreck will continue onwards. At best he'll be like Herman Cain.

I found Herman Cain exciting. In a weird way.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9819 on: November 26, 2012, 02:27:19 pm »

I found Herman Cain exciting. In a weird way.

Herman Cain was entertaining. I think he realized early on that he wasn't a serious candidate for the nomination. So, therefore, troll.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9820 on: November 26, 2012, 02:31:42 pm »

"States rights" are usually used as an excuse to infringe on the rights of the people.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9821 on: November 26, 2012, 02:41:25 pm »

Or a way of avoiding topics that could split your base.

"Gay marriage? States' rights!"

It's a miracle noone has suggested making the military budget a states' rights issue ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9822 on: November 26, 2012, 02:43:06 pm »

Some of the libertarians have. I've heard the argument that the federal military should be dissolved in favor of state militias.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9823 on: November 26, 2012, 02:52:36 pm »

Some of the libertarians have. I've heard the argument that the federal military should be dissolved in favor of state militias.
It would make secession more of a possibility... and America would have a much smaller projection power over the world... but then, it would stand to reason that if there cannot be a federal military, they'd push for more CIA/FBI/surveillance powers.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9824 on: November 26, 2012, 02:54:44 pm »

Most libertarians I know look at the military as the ONLY legitimate federal program.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 713