Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 688203 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9825 on: November 25, 2012, 04:56:26 pm »

Probably not. The radical conservatives have kinda taken their party hostage by dominating the primary, so unless the base comes to it's senses, the republicans are kinda screwed for a while.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: November 25, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »

It won't work out. For one thing, the Republicans have rarely actually nominated non-white men for much of anything, much less the presidency. Even if he runs I don't think he'll make the cut, and the GOP leadership will make the same mistake they keep making and nominate a socially reactionary, economically obstructionist, vaguely theocratic, absurdly rich, aging, white man to represent them once again. And then they'll lose, again, and declare that they needed to be more conservative to get America's vote.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: November 25, 2012, 05:27:08 pm »

It won't work out. For one thing, the Republicans have rarely actually nominated non-white men for much of anything, much less the presidency. Even if he runs I don't think he'll make the cut, and the GOP leadership will make the same mistake they keep making and nominate a socially reactionary, economically obstructionist, vaguely theocratic, absurdly rich, aging, white man to represent them once again. And then they'll lose, again, and declare that they needed to be more conservative to get America's vote.

And us young liberals will keep bashing our heads against our keyboards, spelling out the issues with the GOP time and time again, on various platforms. And no matter how much the people who don't vote Republican tell the Republicans why we don't vote Republican, they still won't get it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: November 25, 2012, 05:46:55 pm »

If anybody thinks that Jindal is moderate they should watch the rebuttal to Obamas first State of the Union address.  Suffice to say that he doesn't come across as a moderate.  He also doesn't come across as competent enough to lead a middle school debate club.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: November 26, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »

I'm just amazed at how much you've all gotten caught up in shit over Jindal when you've just glossed over the sheer power of Jesse Ventura. If not 2016 then 2020, we will probably see Jesse Ventura riding on horseback in his shining armour, like in that absurd painting.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: November 26, 2012, 12:56:34 pm »

Ventura has gardened a reputation as a conspiracy theorist, he's definitely not running.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: November 26, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »

Ventura has gardened a reputation as a conspiracy theorist, he's definitely not running.

He has said that he will consider running if people get a grassroots movement going, or if Ron Paul went independent. He's also been raising his media profile this year.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: November 26, 2012, 01:58:38 pm »

He's certainly not getting elected in any case.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: November 26, 2012, 02:12:19 pm »

Why's Ron Paul a republican, anyway? They aren't exactly close to his positions...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: November 26, 2012, 02:15:22 pm »

They used to be, and he agrees with them bigtime on the idea of states rights. That they have turned against the moderates and libertarians is a new development.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: November 26, 2012, 02:17:03 pm »

He's certainly not getting elected in any case.

But it'll be really exciting when he does run.

They used to be, and he agrees with them bigtime on the idea of states rights. That they have turned against the moderates and libertarians is a new development.

See now, I like the sound of State's Rights. I support autonomy and local government in a lot of ways. The problem is that the rights that are being put into question are stuff that I really think should be decided by a federal government.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: November 26, 2012, 02:18:52 pm »

Not really. The media will dismiss him as a lunatic, he'll have a strong cult following ala RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL, and then the GOP train wreck will continue onwards. At best he'll be like Herman Cain.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: November 26, 2012, 02:23:53 pm »

Not really. The media will dismiss him as a lunatic, he'll have a strong cult following ala RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL, and then the GOP train wreck will continue onwards. At best he'll be like Herman Cain.

I found Herman Cain exciting. In a weird way.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: November 26, 2012, 02:27:19 pm »

I found Herman Cain exciting. In a weird way.

Herman Cain was entertaining. I think he realized early on that he wasn't a serious candidate for the nomination. So, therefore, troll.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9839 on: November 26, 2012, 02:31:42 pm »

"States rights" are usually used as an excuse to infringe on the rights of the people.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 714