Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 696124 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9840 on: November 26, 2012, 02:41:25 pm »

Or a way of avoiding topics that could split your base.

"Gay marriage? States' rights!"

It's a miracle noone has suggested making the military budget a states' rights issue ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: November 26, 2012, 02:43:06 pm »

Some of the libertarians have. I've heard the argument that the federal military should be dissolved in favor of state militias.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: November 26, 2012, 02:52:36 pm »

Some of the libertarians have. I've heard the argument that the federal military should be dissolved in favor of state militias.
It would make secession more of a possibility... and America would have a much smaller projection power over the world... but then, it would stand to reason that if there cannot be a federal military, they'd push for more CIA/FBI/surveillance powers.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9843 on: November 26, 2012, 02:54:44 pm »

Most libertarians I know look at the military as the ONLY legitimate federal program.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: November 26, 2012, 02:56:05 pm »

I think a rule of libertarians is that there's no position too extreme for one of them to adopt.  See:

http://www.volokh.com/2011/02/15/asteroid-defense-and-libertarianism/

I think it’s O.K. to violate people’s rights (e.g. through taxation) if the result is that you protect people’s rights to some greater extent (e.g. through police, courts, the military). But it’s not obvious to me that the Earth being hit by an asteroid (or, say, someone being hit by lightning or a falling tree) violates anyone’s rights; if that’s so, then I’m not sure I can justify preventing it through taxation.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: November 26, 2012, 03:03:32 pm »

Pretty sure you can find extremists for every political alignment. Pick my brain and you'll find at least a dozen radical views.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: November 26, 2012, 03:04:54 pm »

Pretty sure you can find extremists for every political alignment. Pick my brain and you'll find at least a dozen radical views.
You want to do WHAT to that platypus?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: November 26, 2012, 03:05:15 pm »

You want to do WHAT to that platypus?
Only if it consents.

(note: being facetious :P )
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:07:28 pm by kaijyuu »
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: November 26, 2012, 03:23:00 pm »

It would make secession more of a possibility... and America would have a much smaller projection power over the world... but then, it would stand to reason that if there cannot be a federal military, they'd push for more CIA/FBI/surveillance powers.

But why would America need a larger projection power over the world? Why is secession a problem

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: November 26, 2012, 03:39:09 pm »

But why would America need a larger projection power over the world? Why is secession a problem
I'm just saying the possible effects of demilitarizing the federal gov't and handing that over to the states.

To not-really-answer your questions...
Why, America has been doing so since... the 2nd World War, preemptive action to ensure that things go their way and what-not.
Secession is not really a problem, right now.  But it is a possibility in the far future where a number of states decide that they would be better off not with the US and are willing to fight for it.  Having their own militia, while the federal gov't does not have its own army, states can be emboldened by that fact.  That is if the FBI doesn't uncover and cur them before it gets traction...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: November 26, 2012, 04:11:57 pm »

If you accept a certain (quite reasonable) way of viewing history: Because it's a step in the wrong direction. Since the stone age, larger administrative structures have evolved to deal with larger-scale problems; and in a time when global problems are becoming a pressing matter you wish to go back?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: November 26, 2012, 04:34:31 pm »

If you accept a certain (quite reasonable) way of viewing history: Because it's a step in the wrong direction. Since the stone age, larger administrative structures have evolved to deal with larger-scale problems; and in a time when global problems are becoming a pressing matter you wish to go back?

But problems are becoming global because of the larger administrative structures, in my opinion. The situation with Al-Qaeda stems originally from the USA's unbending support for Israel, an example of the USA's projection of power over the world. Without that, why would Al-Qaeda bother with the USA

And, yes, I do wish to go back. We're not solving the problems, we're only making them worse. I say fuck it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: November 26, 2012, 04:37:29 pm »

Any "world police" or "world government" made to deal with these global problems should be a coalition of countries, not any singular entity. It's not the US's job to police the world; if you think there's a power vacuum and that something needs to fill it, I suggest pushing for the UN to get increased capacities and/or a new thing to take its place.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: November 26, 2012, 04:41:49 pm »

The problem with Al-Qaeda isn't really about Israel at all. The group's original goal was replacing moderate Muslim governments with Taliban-style hardliners, and elimination of "Western" influence in Islamic affairs. Hard-line American support of Israel is a fairly recent development, post-dating the terrorist group.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: November 26, 2012, 04:43:33 pm »

The problem with Al-Qaeda isn't really about Israel at all. The group's original goal was replacing moderate Muslim governments with Taliban-style hardliners, and elimination of "Western" influence in Islamic affairs. Hard-line American support of Israel is a fairly recent development, post-dating the terrorist group.

But Al-Qaeda was formed in the late 1980s. America's been supporting Israel wholeheartedly since its creation.
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 714