Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717400 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10185 on: December 07, 2012, 10:05:40 am »

Gas prices and unemployment both fell over that last 6 months. Rather than give Obama credit they tried to turn both into a negative: "he only got those figures down because he wants to be reelected". Which snarkily implies that he really wanted everyone to be unemployed and paying high gas prices "just coz", but America was lucky and there was an election coming up so ...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10186 on: December 07, 2012, 10:11:27 am »

when one make public statements that you are wiling to intentionally sabotage the economy under the bus to get someone out of office, that person pretty much has to be a villian, or at least you have to pretend so.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10187 on: December 07, 2012, 11:08:57 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/debt-ceiling-debate-twist-sen-mitch-mcconnell-filibusters-233346015.html

Demonstrating that obstructionism is the only policy that the republicans have left, Mitch McConnell filibusters his own god damn bill.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10188 on: December 07, 2012, 11:14:14 am »

Man that hurts xD - am I right in think Mitch McConnell is objecting to not one, but TWO of his own proposals in that story?

#1 - he originally proposed the same debt ceiling mechanism that Obama is proposing, now he's arguing against it.

#2 - he proposed a vote on the new mechanism, then he filibustered the same vote from occurring!

===

on the topic of defaulting on the national debt, I'd really like to see what happens when that does happen. So there's two time-bombs for early next year, the fiscal cliff and the debt ceiling.

*gets popcorn ready*
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:20:27 am by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10189 on: December 07, 2012, 12:33:07 pm »

*gets popcorn ready*
Me too - a few years back I said I wanted to emigrate to the US, but the political situation kinda scares me. I hope they get their act together until I finish university.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #10190 on: December 08, 2012, 02:32:29 pm »

The Rupublicans are OK with tax cuts qua tax cuts, but they would rather filibuster and ensure that spending gets cut. Even military spending cuts, which Republicans are normally against, are part of what they are striving for. Ironically, the less they do, the more that gets done.

That being said, the Republicans will get the blame for the fiscal cliff because they are trying to filibuster.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10191 on: December 08, 2012, 02:58:40 pm »

They sure do a good job of giving off the impression that they care about America.

was that sarcasm? was it not? I don't know.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #10192 on: December 08, 2012, 03:06:17 pm »

All politicians do.
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10193 on: December 08, 2012, 05:18:42 pm »

The Rupublicans are OK with tax cuts qua tax cuts, but they would rather filibuster and ensure that spending gets cut.

I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous.  The spending cuts are already in place as existing law.  If they just wanted spending cuts they'd let the budget sequester go through exactly as is which doesn't require any filibuster, the house would just need to not pass a new budget.  But the house has passed a new budget because they dont want the sequester and they do want new tax cuts on top of the existing ones.  It right there in the budget they passed of their own free will.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10194 on: December 09, 2012, 03:08:18 am »

More republican ridiculosity! (That should totally be a word).

Basically, ANN COULTER is espousing the moderate position!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10195 on: December 09, 2012, 03:34:08 am »

*gets popcorn ready*
Me too - a few years back I said I wanted to emigrate to the US, but the political situation kinda scares me. I hope they get their act together until I finish university.
Chances are we won't fix our political system for a long time. The only way I could see it happening is if a new political party that quickly gained sizable support was formed. But that's really unlikely, we're too used to the Democrats vs. Republican thing.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10196 on: December 09, 2012, 04:11:16 am »

The system's not perfect, but that's not my concern - what I'm a bit scared of is the deep rifts in the country, the all-or-nothing rhetorics, the influence that fundamentalist republicans wield. What I'm scared of is that the right-wing nuts actually have a power option.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #10197 on: December 09, 2012, 07:50:43 pm »

Nuts? At least we don't support marijuana while trying to outlaw tobacco.

Most Republicans are more or less willing to compromise, but they want an actual compromise.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10198 on: December 09, 2012, 08:01:10 pm »

Most Republicans are more or less willing to compromise, but they want an actual compromise.
Both republicans and democrats are guilty of being completely unwilling to compromise unless it means they get the better deal, and it's definitely not because they aren't getting a fair deal.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10199 on: December 09, 2012, 08:35:00 pm »

Both republicans and democrats are guilty of being completely unwilling to compromise unless it means they get the better deal, and it's definitely not because they aren't getting a fair deal.
Hey - republicans are evil, democrats are good, alright?  Don't you dare challenge my view of American politics :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 714