Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Silver armor  (Read 16770 times)

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silver armor
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2012, 04:29:27 pm »

The adamantine colossus hits the Dwarf in the lower body!
*Dwarf is pushed 1 tile away*
The Dwarf hits the adamantine colossus in the left toe!
*Colossus flung to the moon*

This can either go two ways. 1: Attach a tow line and use it to ascend to the moon and play Moon Fortress
2: Someone invents Colossus Golf

Colossus Golf wasn't already invented? I seem to remember a legendary+?? Hammerdwarf of rediculous strength in an old 40d fort sending one flying out of my gates at least once... (Sadly we never got enough colossi for him to finish his game)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2012, 04:34:53 pm »

We need to dig the holes and plant some flags!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2012, 04:54:17 pm »

We need to dig the holes and plant some flags!

Spikes are sufficient.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2012, 04:58:09 pm »

Just as a point of information, bone and wood were used as armors. Wood (and paper) was good at taking arrows and dull weaponry, and bone was better than nothing against stone.

I seem to recall reading that Medieval Chinese used armor made from thick layers of paper - it was actually quite effective, until they got caught in the rain.  ;D
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2012, 05:01:10 pm »

Just as a point of information, bone and wood were used as armors. Wood (and paper) was good at taking arrows and dull weaponry, and bone was better than nothing against stone.

I seem to recall reading that Medieval Chinese used armor made from thick layers of paper - it was actually quite effective, until they got caught in the rain.  ;D

>Mythbusters tested it. It worked o_O

Sroge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »

My entire infantry is armed with silver maces (and a copper battleaxe I bought from traders). It's actually a pretty favorable arrangement.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2012, 06:01:21 pm »

Just think about it.  Paper armor is, basically, wood armor that is much easier to make and has the advantage of being a laminate so you can do things like add a layer of silk (or even cotton) every now and then for additional strength.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2012, 10:14:14 pm »

My understanding of why silver weapons exist in the game is so that they can be used against things like werewolves. Why not use silver armour to protect dwarves from werewolf attacks, who will receive burn injuries if they attack you?

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2012, 12:20:29 am »

You mean like:
werewolf scratches Urist McSilverLover and gets silver sliver to the nail
Werewolf goes unconscious Urist McSilverLover notices gaping wound to the chest and dies

Mazzacari

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2012, 02:46:03 am »

I think silver armor is a good idea, but it can't be pure silver. If you modded a custom reaction for an impure silver that had a greater strength (mix it with copper, iron, zinc, etc.) then it would be realistic. Sterling silver is one way to go, but you'd probably want something stronger than that.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2012, 07:48:24 am »

Is there a list that catagorizes how good metals are for armor?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2012, 07:59:29 am »

Is there a list that catagorizes how good metals are for armor?

Page 3. The one i linked. Alternatively, go to the wiki, search metals and scroll down to armour/weapon qualities.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2012, 11:35:36 am »

What about a copper-nickel? It's an alloy used to make "silver" coins, can be strengthened with iron and can also be used to make "gold" coins. Then you'd be able to have your silver armour, that isn't completely flimsy :P

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2012, 11:46:56 am »

What about a copper-nickel? It's an alloy used to make "silver" coins, can be strengthened with iron and can also be used to make "gold" coins. Then you'd be able to have your silver armour, that isn't completely flimsy :P

Sterling silver and various alloys are still only decorative in relative usefulness to the traditional warfare metals of the ages. Bronze, iron (To a degree) and steel have always been chosen for their versatility and ability to hold an edge, currency and wealth based were based on these rare 'precious' metals like silver and required experimental metalurgy to come up with useful alloys for a purpose.  A warfare precious alloy would take lots of expense and trial and error before one was made, where it is much easier to decorate steel armour and blade hilts with gems and precious metals as filligree or studs or...well. electrolisis plating if you wanted that look. It's back to the old connundrum "You can, but why would you want to?"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2012, 11:56:06 am »

I don't think Dwarves would know how to use electrolysis.... Well to do anything.

Unless they used candy rods and magma.... Dorfs + Electricity ftw
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5