Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Resize current embark area during fortress mode  (Read 5996 times)

frankwilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Resize current embark area during fortress mode
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:39:41 pm »

I made a fort a while ago that I've been working on for several months now..it's my first fort to actually get past 20 dwarves so needless to say, I set too big of an embark area, figuring that some game with ASCII art can't possibly lag too much. Now with a population if 70 I realized that was completely wrong, and even with temperature turned off I still get an FPS of 50 at best. That's tolerable but I really want to have an epic fortress with 100+ dwarves. I don't want to abandon this one because I spent a lot of time on it, and I've searched around with a lot of popular utilities (Runesmith, DFHack, etc) and none of them seem to be able to resize the current area without abandoning or anything... I have only even built in one corner of the map, and I could easily shave off a few squares of embark zone to save FPS with no loss of the stuff I've built, if I knew how.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
Re: Resize current embark area during fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:01:26 pm »

What you seek is not possible.  Not even on reclaim.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:18:36 pm »

i think that is the one thing that can not be weaponized, oh ya its impossable
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:56:46 pm »

I made a fort a while ago that I've been working on for several months now..it's my first fort to actually get past 20 dwarves so needless to say, I set too big of an embark area, figuring that some game with ASCII art can't possibly lag too much. Now with a population if 70 I realized that was completely wrong, and even with temperature turned off I still get an FPS of 50 at best. That's tolerable but I really want to have an epic fortress with 100+ dwarves. I don't want to abandon this one because I spent a lot of time on it, and I've searched around with a lot of popular utilities (Runesmith, DFHack, etc) and none of them seem to be able to resize the current area without abandoning or anything... I have only even built in one corner of the map, and I could easily shave off a few squares of embark zone to save FPS with no loss of the stuff I've built, if I knew how.

There's still a ton of things you can do to improve your framerate: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 03:11:54 pm »

I still get an FPS of 50 at best. That's tolerable

50 fps is NOTHING to complain about.
once i get to around 140 population, im rocking 26fps at best.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:10:48 pm by Poindexterity »
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 03:54:24 pm »

You're complaining about 50? On my old computer I was lucky if I started at 50 by year two I was at 16 and if I got a mountainhome I started to wonder if pausing it and tapping . really fast would be quicker.

frankwilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 07:13:04 pm »

Yea I guess 50 FPS might not be earth-shatteringly terrible to long-time players who are used to the drawbacks of DF's engine, but to someone like me with a mere 60 dwarves (and around ten useless children) nothing I designate actually gets done within a reasonable time period and it feels more like a waiting/pointless micromanagement simulator than the castle-building survival sim it used to be when I had around 20-30 dwarves - that and I can't get past the "duchy" stage and it feels more like a very well-defended hovel than an actual fortress with only 60 dwarves.

And yes, I've done pretty much all the things the "improving framerate" wiki page said, and the only thing that helped in any noticeable way was disabling temperature.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:16:01 pm by frankwilliams »

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 07:29:07 pm »

You could set the population limit lower, but that has its own drawbacks.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 08:09:42 pm »

I thought about this. Shrinking an embark area is theoretically possible. I can sort of see how it could be done, but never tried... it's not exactly easy or requested often enough (ever before?) as a feature :) Expanding the embark area is damn near impossible, because you'd have make the game generate the missing land.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 08:25:51 pm »

My current fort runs at 5fps, when nothing is going on, drops down to 1-2 if I designate too much.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 09:36:17 pm »

I do not even pay attention to the frame rate. U could runehack ur fort, make all ur dorfs speedy dorfs

frankwilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 05:40:47 pm »

I thought about this. Shrinking an embark area is theoretically possible. I can sort of see how it could be done, but never tried... it's not exactly easy or requested often enough (ever before?) as a feature :) Expanding the embark area is damn near impossible, because you'd have make the game generate the missing land.

Can you elaborate on this? If it is possible, I'm fully willing to go through hacking and messing with the game settings for a while rather than restarting/abandoning a fortress I spent this much time on.

I do not even pay attention to the frame rate. U could runehack ur fort, make all ur dorfs speedy dorfs
I don't really see how it could be possible to not pay attention to it, because it's a global thing that effects the entire game, but hacking the speed of dwarves seems like cheating to me, since this would give them an unfair advantage in combat. Is there a way to do this for other species as well, so everyone moves at a faster rate?