Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 795

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 804443 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #10380 on: February 17, 2017, 12:26:53 am »

I just type both parentheses in one go, then use the arrow keys to move inside the parentheses and put whatever goes inside them.

I actually use the numpad and number row about equally. I use the number row if I'm typing a short number like 9 or 63, and the numpad for something longer like my credit card info.

Editing code is one case where a trackpad is actually really useful because I can just manipulate it with my thumb to move the cursor around and select big blocks of text, instead of lifting my hand off every ten seconds to use the mouse or pecking at my tiny arrow keys (laptop).
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10381 on: February 17, 2017, 01:36:02 am »

I rarely type the closing parentheses because I use Notepad++ whenever I'm not using an IDE, which automatically surrounds your cursor when you place a right-facing parentheses, or open any other enclosure:
[] {} <> /**/

One key press is more efficient than two, so I'll make use of my symbols row and the numpad to minimize unnecessary key presses. If I just need one number character, I can shift-press the number, else I use the numpad. If I have access to the numpad, why should I lock the symbols (which I use more) behind an extra keypress? It's a much more suitable arrangement for my needs.

E:
As for selecting code, a combination of shift+arrow and shift+Home/End/PgDwn/PgUp is your friend. What you want to minimize, in addition to total key presses, is movement of the dominant hand between the text keys and the special keys/cursor keys/numpad/mouse, and shortcuts are a big part of that.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:47:32 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: February 18, 2017, 10:46:12 am »

Can anyone explain to me how the raycasting function in Farseer Unofficial for Monogame 3.5 actually works (or doesn't work)?

It seems to be in at least some way, shape or form mishandling its callback based on what I've seen it not doing, although I'm not certain the bug wasn't in our code to begin with.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:48:35 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: February 22, 2017, 11:11:46 pm »

Anyone know how to find out what games are coded with? For example what's Football Manager 2017 coded by? C++? Java? Python? Ruby?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: February 22, 2017, 11:21:20 pm »

The franchise has been around since 2004, and is mainly PC, but with XBox ports. It's almost certainly written in C++, since no other suitable engine would have been around that could handle that in any other language at the time. If they've since ported it to an engine, Unreal would be the obvious choice, which is still C++.

Nobody would use Ruby for something like this. It's not the tool for the job, it's really limited to a web language.

Python is possible but only fairly recently, and Python is still pretty fringe for game development, I have honestly never heard of an established studio using Python for a commercial game, but I assume someone must.

Java, maybe, but Java is just way too slow, and not a good fit for the target platforms.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:23:44 pm by Reelya »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: February 22, 2017, 11:25:44 pm »

Some engines leave more hallmarks than others, but it depends on the game. Unity games for example have a specific folder structure that's a dead giveaway, not to mention the launcher. Most UDK games will have an Unreal Engine banner or video at the start, or mention it in their licensing.

I've never played Football Manager 2017, but quickly skimming some gameplay videos I'd guess it was made with a custom engine built on a graphics library. Possibly there's a series of Football Manager engines made solely by them, for use by them. In that case it's probably nigh impossible to tell what programming language it was made in. You might see if the makers of Football Manager licensed any libraries (SDL, QT, etc.) and then see what languages those libraries are available for.

Ninja'd by Reelya.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: February 22, 2017, 11:39:20 pm »

Yeah, itisnotlogical has the right idea. Poke around in the files if you can, you should get some idea what's up. But it's probably based on a custom engine.

For those sorts of custom engines which are in-house the way it works is sort of like DF modders actually. The "game" team works with the existing engine, and does whatever improvements they can leverage using the existing code, e.g. similar to RAW modders working around the DF system. You cleverly leverage an existing scripting engine to do things it was never designed for.

Meanwhile, the "engine" team constantly upgrades the engine, taking care not to break the scripting side of things, but when the "game" team comes across something that can't be easily "modded" into the engine, they might request a new feature to the "engine" team, and then there's a negotiation while they work out the best way to integrate the change into the system, which might change some details about how the "game" team does things. It's equivalent to Toady creating a new DF RAW token, and now some of the ways modders are doing things are obsolete, but new things can be created as well.

This separation of engine code & game scripts also vastly reduces the cost, complexity and risk of porting your game to a new platform. Because e.g. if you want to support ARM processors on mobile, you only have to recreate the "engine" component then port in the "game" logic scripts on top of that, maybe with some UI adjustments, and updates to the "game logic" can then be easily rolled out on all the platforms even though the codebase for the engine might be completely separate.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:42:22 pm by Reelya »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: February 23, 2017, 12:04:19 am »

Found this on reddit, in regards to Access, or "Excell 2.0"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: February 23, 2017, 01:21:54 am »

Is that just random or is there a specific thing you were doing?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: February 28, 2017, 02:11:48 pm »

Anyone else having fun with the S3 outage?
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: February 28, 2017, 02:33:12 pm »

Remember, print statements are your friend.

Some people I knew wrote what they called the "hillbilly debugger" which inserts print statements throughout your code for those bugs which baffle you to no end.

Found this on reddit, in regards to Access, or "Excell 2.0"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Huh. I never thought about using access to replace what I use excel for.

That's like suggesting that you use sqlite to replace excel, isn't it?

Or is this one of those times when you're inter-operating with access because of "database principles"?

Python is possible but only fairly recently, and Python is still pretty fringe for game development, I have honestly never heard of an established studio using Python for a commercial game, but I assume someone must.

I believe that there is a game engine written by Disney that uses python called Panda3d. Though now that I look at it, it does appear that it is a C++ engine with a python scripting system.
For python there's been a lot of progress made in writing some fairly competent JITs that will likely never be included in the base distro, like Numba, which has some very impressive benchmarks for the sort of numeric stuff that python normally sucks at.
It still won't bring sane multi-threading to the language any time soon, GIL and all still standing in the way.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: February 28, 2017, 02:47:48 pm »

Kind of a general question, but if one wanted to write a simple web game thing with Python, what would be necessary for that? A server-side interpreter of some sort? How would one go about setting that up?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: February 28, 2017, 02:51:27 pm »

When I last did a really in-depth search the short answer was "don't even try." Now however there seems to be some things happening. Here's a client-side browser implementation of Python. Can't do a really good look right now unfortunately, class is starting like right now.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: February 28, 2017, 02:57:37 pm »

Anyone else having fun with the S3 outage?

Most definitely. Luckily we're just having issues with a few minor images and all staff-facing content. Users are mostly unaffected.

If you haven't checked the AWS Service Health Dashboard, you should do so. Look at all of the cool colors around us-east-1.

That also includes the best update I've seen in a while.

We have now repaired the ability to update the service health dashboard.

No wonder it's been green for an hour too long.

It's pretty amazing seeing how much of the world relies on AWS. You can't add images to GitHub pull requests at the moment. Even Slack is having issues.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10394 on: February 28, 2017, 03:01:49 pm »

Kind of a general question, but if one wanted to write a simple web game thing with Python, what would be necessary for that? A server-side interpreter of some sort? How would one go about setting that up?

Yep, if you want it to be widely accessible you have to run Python on the backend. It's non-trivial to set up, I know that much - essentially, when the user accesses some HTML the server needs to execute the Python on that file first. Some webhosts miiight support Python, but I'd expect you to need to pay up for it.

Whenever AWS goes down it always feels oddly personal, because my sister works in EC2 somewhere.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 795