Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 841003 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #3675 on: January 20, 2013, 06:00:29 am »

Android (and by extension, Ouya) isn't java only. If you want high performance on anything cpu-intensive you'll have to break out the NDK. The android games and apps are mainly java since you don't really need to do much optimmization to get angry birds or tetris clones to run well. Other things are already accelerated underneath the java API layer, like video decoding.

C and C++ have different use cases. C is good for doing low-level things with a high-level language. Like when you need precise control on memory allocation or predictability on what asm code the compiler outputs, typically driver development and system kernels. Look up what Linus Torvalds has to say about C++ for instance (keeping in mind that he only cares about system-level development).
C++ is good for when you want the advantages of a compiled language, but also a maintainable user interface and access to 3rd party API's. And it's not anywhere near being threatened by replacement in that role.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: January 20, 2013, 07:34:37 am »

yeah, I know scripting languages don't have to compile, but we were comparing C and C++.
if you think C++ is almost past its prime for the game industry, what do you think is going to replace it?
and don't say Java,.

The bulk of the gaming industry right now is in apps and light-weight games, like angry birds and other 'casual' stuff. These kinds of games are more often written in Javascript, Java, Python or Lua. C++ Is of course used in more advanced games, but they're by no means the only games that matter. Of course, for AAA+ titles, or anything intensive, there's no replacement for C++, as you pretty much need manual memory management for those kinds of games.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:36:42 am by Virex »

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: January 20, 2013, 08:43:08 am »

I have a feeling Java is going to be coming up in the world here soon though,
what with Android games being Java,
and that dumb box, Ouya or whatever it's called, that indie game console, is going to be Java only,
and Nvidia's new game console is going to be mainly Java based.

Java is already being used practically everywhere in the business world. It scales very well into the cloud, and the newer iterations of it, with higher quality JIT compilation actually performs stupidly well..

The bulk of the gaming industry right now is in apps and light-weight games, like angry birds and other 'casual' stuff. These kinds of games are more often written in Javascript, Java, Python or Lua. C++ Is of course used in more advanced games, but they're by no means the only games that matter. Of course, for AAA+ titles, or anything intensive, there's no replacement for C++, as you pretty much need manual memory management for those kinds of games.

Yes aaaannd.. No.
Modern games pretty much all run on engines. These engines more often than not manage their own virtual machine optimized specifically for games. Unless you are programming game engines, the trend is going towards less C++ and C, and more towards higher level languages.

C++ itself is also trending towards more of a hybrid between C and a managed languaged. With all it smart pointers/containers, and Iterator patterns that are adopted directly into the language as a feature now.
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3678 on: January 20, 2013, 09:16:07 am »

And Java is losing a lot of ground to C# in the business world. In the UK the majority of jobs I've seen going for programmers are looking for C# programmers.

For a crude look:
Software Developer on a UK Jobsite returns 1795 matches
Software Developer .NET, 852 matches.
Software Developer C#, 765 matches.
Software Developer Java, 513 matches.
Software Developer C++, 215 matches.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:30:44 am by MorleyDev »

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: January 20, 2013, 09:39:55 am »

And Java is losing a lot of ground to C# in the business world. In the UK the majority of jobs I've seen going for programmers are looking for C# programmers.
I don't think it is loosing ground. There a A LOT of old software running on .net, so many bigger companies hire a lot of C# people to maintain those codebases.
That does explain the stupid big amount of .net applicants we get at my company.

Either way, Java and C# are very similar in my opinion. It is not hard to get into the other once you know one.
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: January 20, 2013, 11:56:59 am »

Damn I love simplex noise.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Notice that pixel on the top left of the right picture? Thats the island on the left picture.

Now I just gotta find a way to actually do something with this.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: January 20, 2013, 01:34:25 pm »

That is some awesome simplex noise you have there.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: January 20, 2013, 02:11:21 pm »

C++ itself is also trending towards more of a hybrid between C and a managed languaged. With all it smart pointers/containers, and Iterator patterns that are adopted directly into the language as a feature now.

The great thing about updates like those is, you don't have to use them if you don't want/need to. You can write a C program in C++, and it will be functional (ba-dum tish). Except for name-mangling, of course, but that can be controlled by using C-style linkage (via extern "C"). Most of those shiny new features are useful for the programmer, so you don't have to write as much code, but won't make an impact on performance (thanks to optimization during compile time).

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3684 on: January 20, 2013, 05:22:58 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGOH0mZ6hPA

Erm, I have no idea what I am looking at... :S A programmed smart watch of some description?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3685 on: January 20, 2013, 05:41:46 pm »

LCD screen from a cell phone

Edit:  This one --> here
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:04:42 pm by Capntastic »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: January 20, 2013, 09:14:39 pm »

Oh that's right we do have a programming thread!  I have a question.  I've been learning C#, specifically for doing stuff in Unity.  I'm starting to like coding quite a bit, and I seem to have a decent understanding of it... which other languages should I start learning if I want to get into making games?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: January 20, 2013, 09:29:00 pm »

Big games such as the AAA market produces? C++
Otherwise, Java is a great option. Also, Java is very similar to C#.
Otherwise, if you want to develop for Windows Xbox, C# is a very feasible option.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: January 21, 2013, 03:24:52 am »

LCD screen from a cell phone

Edit:  This one --> here
That's pretty nifty. Also love the "smartphone fad"-jab :)
So what're you making with it? Or just trying things out?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: January 21, 2013, 12:01:45 pm »

Wrote a Gomoku clone for an assignment. Wrote it in a single day, because I only found out about it on Saturday, and it was due today. I think I did pretty well, since a graphical display wasn't even part of the requirements.

Edit: Here's the link.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 796