Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 795

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 816403 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #6195 on: August 28, 2014, 01:06:44 pm »

What is /tg/-station? That space ship game you all play? But wow saycode looks like absolute hell

Also your comments are spectacular. Well well notated!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: August 28, 2014, 01:09:26 pm »

Yeah, /tg/station is the best a popular branch of Space Station 13.
Saycode probably dates back to before even the goons got their hands on the source, but there's no way to trace anything further back than 4 years.
And there's of course the several years of people adding onto the code and having to do shitty things because everything else is shit.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: August 28, 2014, 01:50:51 pm »

duuuuude i wasn't gonna mention my homing projectile cooode in the cooode threeaaaad

(really it's ok i just wasn't going to post it here)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: August 28, 2014, 02:41:43 pm »

ptw
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6199 on: August 28, 2014, 02:43:34 pm »

duuuuude i wasn't gonna mention my homing projectile cooode in the cooode threeaaaad

(really it's ok i just wasn't going to post it here)
It's not the point of the quote, though, i was just too lazy to snip it out.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6200 on: August 28, 2014, 02:51:36 pm »

I know :P

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: August 29, 2014, 09:59:29 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:21:22 pm by MC Dirty »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: August 29, 2014, 10:07:57 pm »

The documentation on Python is absolutely stellar...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6203 on: August 29, 2014, 10:10:59 pm »

I despise Assembly. Had to learn it a year ago and rare were the days where I could still understand what I wrote the previous day or why it doesn't work. I get that it's powerful and fast, but I really don't like working with it. C was fun, though. Learned a bit of it last semester where we wrote code for an ATmega. Haven't really touched it since then, though.

Nowadays, Assembly is practically unneeded. Your normal C compiler is preeeetty good at optimizing.

also this

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: August 29, 2014, 10:39:35 pm »

Well, I might just dislike it because of the nature of the project.
Or I might just like the layout of the Java documentation more because I find it more readable. Having a page for each class instead of having all collections ever on one page just seems like common sense to me. Also, the Python documentation doesn't appear to have a list of all of a class' functions.
Not to mention that the return and argument types are always made explicit in the Java documentation while in Python, I have to read through the entire class documentation or sometimes even the documentation of the class that it inherits from to understand what's going on.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:41:19 pm by MC Dirty »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: August 29, 2014, 10:50:31 pm »

That's mostly fundamental differences in language, though. Java's more object-oriented than a sitcom sleazeball. You can write an entire Python program without defining a single class. Not only that, but it's not as strongly typed as Java, with built-in duck typing and such.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: August 29, 2014, 11:42:02 pm »

Interestingly, PHP is in a similar boat and I find its documentation to be surprisingly good.  Not a whole lot else going for the language other than ubiquity, but the documentation is good at least.

In a related vein, documentation is pretty darn important.  Such things can save you hours of erroneously making assumptions from years of coding in a language.  For example, I couldn't figure out why a list of recordings I was getting from that DVR API was always off by one and never returning my most recent recordings.  I thought I'd corrupted an index on the DVR's disk or something and jumped through hoops including deleting everything on its partition.

The problem, naturally, was that the weird not-a-JavaScript-array was indexed from 1 to count rather than 0 to length like I foolishly assumed.  Clearly documented, but I still have to ask if there was any reason for that other than pure spite and the need to be different.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:50:10 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: August 29, 2014, 11:46:06 pm »

Like how Lua has 1-indexed lists. Oy.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: August 29, 2014, 11:51:37 pm »

Yeah, but at least that's a native part of the language.  JavaScript's built in arrays all index from 0, of course.  I really, really can't imagine why they thought it should start from 1.

Kind of smells of someone operating from the mindset of a different programming language and trying to force it into the one they were working with, but I don't know of any other languages that do have 1 based arrays except Fortran I think... my mind has kind of blocked out most of the Fortran I had to learn.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: August 30, 2014, 12:55:40 am »

So today I discovered Deskope. It's an application for the Oculus Rift which copies an interactive version of your desktop into your rift such that you can interact with it in a nice way. It's also open source. https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1505

Which means I just got a fast track to what I wanted to try with the Rift. A few tweaks, and I should be able to duplicate this functionality into my personal projects, giving me an exact (and interactive) duplicate of my desktop from within a 3D virtual world in the rift. Oh yeah, and apparently other applications don't seem to mind to much.

For example, Dwarf Fortress in an Oculus Rift.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which means games played within games. And if I can figure out the right combination of hacks, programming & compiling from within a copy of the program being programmed and compiled.
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 795