Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 795

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 820993 times)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 03:54:12 am »

I was thinking x86, but alright, I'll do that.

By that, is it safe to assume you mean Intel x86?  Intel uses a CISC instruction set for its processors.  ARM, like Apple computers before the switch to Intel, used the RISC instruction set.  I have no idea what instruction set the SNES used.  These instruction sets are what makes assembly work in some places but not others, as mentioned earlier.

Also, you posted 3 seconds after my last. :P

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 03:57:57 am »

I imagine there are plenty of places out there dedicated to hacking... err, completely and utterly non-maliciously programming x86's :) So that shouldn't be that hard.

I have no idea what instruction set the SNES used.
http://www.smwiki.net/wiki/65c816
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:59:43 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 04:01:41 am »

I was thinking x86, but alright, I'll do that.

By that, is it safe to assume you mean Intel x86?  Intel uses a CISC instruction set for its processors.  ARM, like Apple computers before the switch to Intel, used the RISC instruction set.  I have no idea what instruction set the SNES used.  These instruction sets are what makes assembly work in some places but not others, as mentioned earlier.

Also, you posted 3 seconds after my last. :P

Intel x86, yes; ubiquity was the main reason I chose that flavour. Why do you recommend MIPS?

I'm a ninja, with lightning fingers.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 04:08:20 am »

I've programmed as a hobby since I was a young teen, currently doing a Computer Science course as part of my ongoing quest to make it a career :P. Language wise, I've finally reached that point where you can pick up a new language pretty quickly from learning of them (which is nice xD).

Most of the time I prefer to work with the C-based languages. I've done loads of C++ in my time, and a fair bit of C#. I've also done a lot of Java but I hate that language with all the malice and contempt I can bring to bare against it fueled by the fiery pits of my own darkness and a HELL HOUND WITH SEVEN EYES AND SEVEN MOUTHS AND FED ONLY ON THE PURE DESIRE TO DESTROY! *ahem* So yeah, not a fan but it's one of the languages I've used the most.

Then there's the various BASIC variants I've endured. Done some work in Lua too, and I can do some of the HTML5, CSS and Javascript although I find website design to be quite boring.

and obviously the thing about Java is an exaggeration (The hell hound only has six eyes). But seriously, I can write a long list why I dislike it but I can't deny it works and I can get stuff done in it xD
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:04:07 am by MorleyDev »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 04:38:28 am »

Yea, a lot of things they didn't think about very much in Java got into c#

Seriously, IEnumerable is so good. Use it when ever required.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 04:46:11 am »

I used to program stuff years ago. I even got into a competition in my last year of high school.

Sadly, I stopped once I discovered that a career was by no means guaranteed or even a wise path to take, and now can barely remember anything.

Thankfully, next semester I am taking a couple of programming classes, so maybe I'll get my old spark back. I have all sorts of ideas in my head, if I could only figure out how to make them work.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 08:13:52 am »

That's another thing, MorleyDev. Although I also do not like Java, I don't really want this thread to degenerate into constant bashing of it. From now on, if someone is going to bash a language, either also consider the good parts of the language or don't bash it at all. You're fine, but this is a warning for the future. I know how bad flame wars get among programmers.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 08:23:57 am »

I was a happy programmer.

designing system, developing stuff, doing all sort of supporting things for the other developers.

now I had this halfway promotion to the sounding level of software architect. only that instead of architecting anything, I'm writing useless documentation about why you should buy this system we're doing instead on documentation on how this system works and how are we going to develop it.

I hate it. I'm simply not meant to be a promoter. if I were, I would have built my own society eons ago.

I just want to be a developer. I like it.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:25 am »

I was a happy programmer.

designing system, developing stuff, doing all sort of supporting things for the other developers.

now I had this halfway promotion to the sounding level of software architect. only that instead of architecting anything, I'm writing useless documentation about why you should buy this system we're doing instead on documentation on how this system works and how are we going to develop it.

I hate it. I'm simply not meant to be a promoter. if I were, I would have built my own society eons ago.

I just want to be a developer. I like it.

The title of 'software architect' is typically a programmers career goal given the very large pay raise the comes with it and the typical duties involved.  Of course, it's also a management position.  Your employer seems to have hit the 'management' part a little hard, though.  You could talk with whomever your superior is and in the worst case, demand a demotion if you're that upset.  It's a bit insane an option, but a friend of mine recently did it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 12:34:50 pm »

well, I'm not that upset about the management part, that was supposed to happen sooner or later, I'm upset about having to write software that has not yet entirely been sold and being part of the writing of a sale brochure masqueraded as a technical document

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 12:42:19 pm »

well, I'm not that upset about the management part, that was supposed to happen sooner or later, I'm upset about having to write software that has not yet entirely been sold and being part of the writing of a sale brochure masqueraded as a technical document

That, unfortunately, is par for the course.  Either a customer comes to you and says "I want this" or you build something and try to find a customer for it.  As the highest level person that's likely to be involved in the development of software, tasks like that are your normal duties.  Consider yourself lucky you get to write any software at all.  A lot of places, this position is solely a design position and your subordinates actually write stuff.

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 01:02:35 pm »

Well, I don't do a whole lot of serious programming but I'm making a C++ Roguelike if that counts.

Pic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 01:49:37 pm »

Consider yourself lucky you get to write any software at all.  A lot of places, this position is solely a design position and your subordinates actually write stuff.

I sincerely hope not. I'm meant to solve problem, not to "sell solutions" :(

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 02:55:07 pm »

Consider yourself lucky you get to write any software at all.  A lot of places, this position is solely a design position and your subordinates actually write stuff.

I sincerely hope not. I'm meant to solve problem, not to "sell solutions" :(

Sorry, there's a misunderstanding somewhere.  What I meant to say is that you are the one actually solving the bigger problems.  You're designing a solution to the problem at hand.  Your subordinates implement that solution.  The grunt work of programming is no longer necessarily your job depending where you work.

What do you mean by not wanting to "sell solutions"?  That's kind of your job anywhere in IT.  There's a problem.  Solve it.  Profit.  The big difference is whether or not you're coming up with your own problems.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2012, 03:14:58 pm »

What do you mean by not wanting to "sell solutions"?  That's kind of your job anywhere in IT.  There's a problem.  Solve it.  Profit.  The big difference is whether or not you're coming up with your own problems.

I think he means the position feels more like advertising than anything to do with programming.  And on a personal note, I hate the euphemism of "solution" for "program".

And I guess I inspired a thread?  A superfluous thread?  Sounds about right.  I need to work on my display class, I think I know exactly what I'm doing.  It's a good sign when I can pseudo-code in my head while I'm at work.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 795