Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 795

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 820664 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2012, 08:06:43 pm »

Just for kicks, would you mind looking at that program and running it, and see if you have any idea why the comparison would fail, Star?

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2012, 08:07:19 pm »

Really like how this thread's picked up steam. I mostly code in C++ but I've done a bit of Java and Python. I've made a small little Java IRC bot before but nothing big; I find C++ more comfortable to use as it doesn't force OOP down your throat when it's just really not necessary.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2012, 08:09:37 pm »

no clear reason

Quote from: Everoby
Java

:P
Made my day.

Exactly.  Oh, there's a reason and if I looked at the offending code I bet I could tell you why...but yeah...it will be a perfectly clear reason.  Clear as mud, that is.

Just for kicks, would you mind looking at that program and running it, and see if you have any idea why the comparison would fail, Star?

Give me a minute.

Really like how this thread's picked up steam. I mostly code in C++ but I've done a bit of Java and Python. I've made a small little Java IRC bot before but nothing big; I find C++ more comfortable to use as it doesn't force OOP down your throat when it's just really not necessary.

I agree.  C++ definitely has its place and is more comfortable for a lot of people.  I'm preferable to Java personally, but even I still think C++ is good.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2012, 08:12:00 pm »

I do have a little love affair with c++, but sad to say it is sooo slow to code in next to either Java or c#. In the end I end up taking c# just so that I can get stuff done in no time at all.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 08, 2012, 08:12:11 pm »

While we're on the topic of language gloating anyway, would there be interest in some introductionary tutorials on Common Lisp or Clojure?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 08, 2012, 08:12:43 pm »

Can't you overload the == operator or something?
C++ yes.
C# yes.
Java narp.

See, that's why you should never know more than 15 programming languages. I always mix up features.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 08, 2012, 08:12:59 pm »

While we're on the topic of language gloating anyway, would there be interest in some introductionary tutorials on Common Lisp or Clojure?

Do it, I love Lisp!
Never seen Clojure though...

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 08, 2012, 08:14:24 pm »

I do have a little love affair with c++, but sad to say it is sooo slow to code in next to either Java or c#. In the end I end up taking c# just so that I can get stuff done in no time at all.

If you want lightning fast prototyping, use Python or Ruby or something.  Interpreted languages usually let you prototype quickly.

Are you asking us to write them or offering to write them?  I can write them both if you give me a week to learn the languages.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2012, 08:16:09 pm »

Na, the visual studio IDE makes c# much faster than even those. Seriously, the intelesence is to die for.
You don't even needs docs most of the time, it tells you what does what.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2012, 08:19:43 pm »

Are you asking us to write them or offering to write them?  I can write them both if you give me a week to learn the languages.

I was offering it, though I wouldn't mind seeing your take on concurrency in Clojure (if you have the time for it of course), as the details are still a bit hazy for me (not what refs, atoms agents et cetera do, but when to use one over the other in practical applications.)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2012, 08:22:48 pm »

Na, the visual studio IDE makes c# much faster than even those. Seriously, the intelesence is to die for.
You don't even needs docs most of the time, it tells you what does what.

I need to start messing with C# when I find the time.  I should be able to learn the language in about a day given my experience.

I was offering it, though I wouldn't mind seeing your take on concurrency in Clojure (if you have the time for it of course), as the details are still a bit hazy for me (not what refs, atoms agents et cetera do, but when to use one over the other in practical applications.)

If you're interested in writing tutorials for anything, you should do it.  Even if we have tutorials on the same thing, then we can compare notes and merge them to a better tutorial.

As for clojure, I've never used it.  I'll try to find time to start learning it.  I probably should be able to learn it quickly if I can find time...just give me a few days to get started.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2012, 08:24:58 pm »

It does some things Java doesn't, not much, but they are there.

Also, shit is about to get all atomic up in here, and I'm not talking about yo functions, dawg.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 08, 2012, 08:28:37 pm »

It's a pretty fun language actually, but you need to know quite some Java (or be proficient at reading the Javadocs) to use it effectively. It's basically a Lisp variant on the JVM, so you can access any Java library you need with a few lines of magic glue. It also has a very original way of handling concurrency, but I'll leave that for the tutorials.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 08, 2012, 08:30:58 pm »

I'd appreciate you guys not using pronouns without first using a noun to tell me which programming language you're talking about...prevents me from having to guess quite as much. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 795