Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 795

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 821006 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #765 on: January 22, 2012, 04:28:10 am »

Sprites ARE surfaces. Most anything you see in a SDL program is a surface.
Then why can I declare either a sprite, or a surface? They might be similar in concept, but it seems that they have different implementation.
Ah well I don't recall anything about "sprites" in any tutorial or documentation I've seen. Don't see anything in a cursory google search, either.

You using some non-standard libraries?

If you're modifying the surface dynamically, it's certainly possible, but that's going to be hellishly slow.
Hmm, I see. I wonder why it would be slow in SDL, but not OpenGL. It uses SDL does it not? What makes it so fast?
SDL simply sucks at using graphics cards. OpenGL however is optimized to do so.

So should I pack up shop and move to OpenGL before it is too late?
You can use both at the same time. I still use SDL to load image files, and from there just convert to an opengl texture.

It's a bit of a headache to move over but once you figure out all the added complexity opengl adds, it's a LOT easier to do what you want.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 22, 2012, 04:34:18 am »

@Aqizzar
Oh god, I'm going to be honest, this is a bit like watching Howl's moving castle get up and walk across the hills. You are not 100% how it holds itself together, but the fact that it does is spectacular. Remind me to give you a lesson on what static means some time... Anyway, code diving ahoy!

You using some non-standard libraries?
It should be pretty fucking standard. SDL.net, so a c# wrapper, but that shouldn't matter.

Also, time to get my OpenGL on.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 22, 2012, 04:38:09 am »

@Aqizzar
Oh god, I'm going to be honest, this is a bit like watching Howl's moving castle get up and walk across the hills. You are not 100% how it holds itself together, but the fact that it does is spectacular. Remind me to give you a lesson on what static means some time... Anyway, code diving ahoy!

That's pretty much exactly what all three of my Java professors said too.  I really am a coding necromancer, the things I create have no right to shamble about as they do, and yet it moves

Public/protected/private?  Fuck that, make everything public, let's have a party!  Static?  Nah brah, that's just for the Main arg thing, right?  Yeah totally.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 22, 2012, 04:40:52 am »

Fuck that, make everything public, let's have a party!
Second best programming quote ever.  :D
First is "Friends can access each others 'private' attributes!"  :P

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 22, 2012, 07:11:50 am »

I'm starting to find programming rather annoying now... I seem to have the skills to use weaker scripting languages like Lua and instant game makers, but there's just too much of a time curve to try to learn some proper programming languages, and even less time to actually make a proper engine with them. Doesn't help that I'm job searching at the same time.

It's a bit of a motivation that programming skills are quite well-paid (apparently a starter noob programmer gets paid more than a civil engineer or an accountant with a year's experience), but still.. I hate that curve where you're stumbling to memorize syntax and coping with different programming styles.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 22, 2012, 10:00:32 am »

For an idea of programmer pay - My first job was in the range of 60k plus full benefits to work with a language I'd only had 4 months experience with.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #771 on: January 22, 2012, 10:40:03 am »

In the UK,the average salary for a Junior programmer is about £21k (~$33k) a year with a bit over 10% of jobs offering over £30k a year. You usually are a junior for a year or two. £21K works out to about £17k (~$26) after taxes are done with you (£30k to about £22k, taxes in the UK are a bitch at times). Once you stop being a junior it averages to about £35k (~$55k) with 10% going over £55k (~$85k) (£26k and £38k when you take tax). And that's not taking student loans into count...

Wow, looking at the taxes I'm even more tempted to move abroad -_-
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:42:03 am by MorleyDev »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 22, 2012, 12:00:02 pm »

Remind me never to move to the UK... that pay range seems incredibly low. That starting programmer salary was only slightly more than I was making when I worked at Walmart, and is about on par with what I was getting for QA/Data entry (which didn't involve any actual programming)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #773 on: January 22, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »

I can live comfortably with a studio flat and food for less than £10k a year, and people earning £30k upwards are considered by many as being "middle class" so the pricing of goods and such has to be taken into account ^^

And those prices are for non-London jobs (London has a higher cost of living and jobs in London tend to pay more, which means London is giving its own category for prices).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:08:06 pm by MorleyDev »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 22, 2012, 01:26:12 pm »

@ Aqizzar:

A bit of performance could be eeked out by changing InterfaceObject.Input() into a giant switch statement. You probably know this already since you've already used a switch statement in your main game loop. This will only boost a little bit of time between when the player inputs a command and when the screen updates though. On my computer this already runs adequately.

Whatever duct tape magic you're performing here, keep it up.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 22, 2012, 04:46:44 pm »

"empty space" as a valid material would potentially accomplish a similar effect, no?
Shush, you guessed my trick.  ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 22, 2012, 06:14:19 pm »

I am doing something like this:

Procedural space sandboxthingy with roguelike elements.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 22, 2012, 06:21:46 pm »

Stargrasper's Java Basics Tutorial Series

FML.  At least I finally found time to write another one of these things that nobody is actually using or likely even reading!  It's short because I'm short on time and wanted to get this out.  Ask questions.

Lesson 0.5: Arrays and Loops

Arrays ~ A Box Enclosing Smaller Boxes

Arrays are a contiguous block of memory addresses that store a grouped set of values.  In English, that means that arrays can store a bunch of different things in one variable provided that all of those values are compatible.  By that I mean, you have to define a type for an array and it can only contain values of that type.  Fortunately, arrays don't care whether that type is a primitive or an object.  Note that as of now, objects are still magic.  You use square brackets to declare an array.  This is actually a holdover notation from C/C++.
Code: [Select]
// Arrays can be declared as follows
type[] name = new type[size]

// For example...
int[] intArray = new int[5];

That's how you'll usually instantiate arrays.  You do have to have the maximum size of the array in mind when you instantiate it.  There's nothing wrong with using a variable to contain the size.
byte size = 5;
int[] intArray = new int[size];

You can also instantiate them by just handing them the set of data they will contain.
int[] intArray = { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 };

The size is inferred from the dataset handed to it.  In this case, the maximum size of the array is five.

Now, I want a value out of the array.  Because there are multiple values in an array, I can't just use the name of the variable to get the value.  I have to tell it which value I want by giving it the index or slot number I want.
// Grab the element from index 2 and print it to the console
System.out.println(intArray[2]);

Another trick is that arrays, like pretty much everything in programming, are zero-indexed.  That is, they start counting from zero, not one.  So the first entry in the array is index 0.  That index 2 above is the third element.
// Grab the element from index 0 and print it to the console
System.out.println("This is the first element: " + intArray[0]");

Of course, it would suck if I couldn't modify the contents of my array.  Doing that is exactly like reassigning normal variables.  Just tell the array which index you want to alter.
intArray[0] = 3;

// Takes the existing value of intArray[4] and adds 4 to it
// Identical to intArray[4] = intArray[4] + 4;
intArray[4] += 4;

I can create multidimensional arrays, too.  They work just like normal arrays, but I have to tell it all the indexes.  Think of it as a two or three dimensional grid.
// 2d array
int[][] array = new int[10][10];

// 3d array
int[][][] array2 = new int[10][10][10];

Technically, you can create arrays of objects.  This is magic.  Move along.  You don't need to care about his.
Object[] objects = new Object[5];
Rectangle[] rects = new Rectangle[5];

Lets say I need to keep a list of something or other and I don't know how many I need.  The easiest way to handle that it to use an array with such a large maximum length that you'll never hit it.
// Five million...that ought to do...
int[] intArray = new int[5000000];

That takes up a lot of memory you aren't using, though.  Wouldn't it be nice if the thing could just dynamically resize itself?  Well, through the magic of objects, it can!  Yes objects.  You aren't supposed to understand them yet.  They're magic.  Just follow along...
// We're going to create a list.  Specifically, an ArrayList
// When we declare one of these, we should really tell it
// the type of object that it will contain.  In this example,
// Objects.
ArrayList<Object> list;

// We still instantiate with new.
// And we need to still tell it the type of objects it will
// contain.  And we need to place parenthsis after that.
// It's an object thing.  Just do it.
list = new ArrayList<Object>();

// To add things, we conveniently use the .add(Object) command
// It takes the thing we're adding as a parameter
list.add(new Object());

// To fetch things, we conveniently use the .get(int) command
// It takes the index of the thing we're getting as a parameter
list.get(0);

// You can actually reassign values in the ArrayList with .set(int, Object)
list.set(0, 4);

// Of course, we may need to get rid of things too.
// Use the .remove(Object) or .remove(int) commands.
// The first takes the object to remove as a parameter.
// The second takes the index to remove as a parameter.
Object o = new Object();
list.add(o);
list.remove(o);

list.remove(0);

Okay, I think that will do for arrays and lists right now.  Before we get into loops, lets take a brief aside to look at some funky math I used up there once.

Math ~ For The Lazy Programmer

Okay, lets instantiate a few things.
int a = 4;
int b = 6;
int c = 3;
int d = 8;

Okay, that'll do.  Now let me show you how we traditionally do math.
a = a + b;
b = b - c;
c = c * d;
d = d / a;

Six key strokes.  We're entirely too lazy for that!  Lets make it smaller!
a += b;
b -= c;
c *= d;
d /= e;

Five key strokes!  Told you programmers were lazy!  And just because you're probably far too lazy to think it through, I guess I should probably explain what just happened...

To reduce the amount of typing and to simplify code, programmers came up with this idea of reassigning while simultaniously doing some sort of basic mathematical calculation.  In the case of a += b;, we're taking the value of a, adding b to it and then assigning that back to a.  Same with the others.  b -= c; subtracts c from b and reassigns that value to b.  c *= d; multiplies c by d and assigns that value back to c.  d /= a; divides d by a and assigns that back to d.

Later on, you'll see that there are a lot of cases where we want to increase or decrease a value by 1.  Well, writing a += 1 is too much work.  So we use this instead.
// These are different, by the way.
// The first increments after any other operations on the line.
// The second increments before.
a++;
++a;

// I can subtract 1 as well.
a--;
--a;

Down to four key strokes.  I'm honestly not sure whether they were lazy or if they though that would make the code easier to read...

What we've just done is far too simple, though.  I want to do complex math.  Now I know that 2 ^ 4 is 2 * 2 * 2 * 2.  I could code that like this...
int num = 2 * 2 * 2 * 2;

I don't feel like it.  Java has this really handy Math library for complex mathematics.  Like this...
int num = Math.pow(2, 4);

Which takes 2 and raises it to the 4th power.  There are a lot of functions in there you might like.  And if my browser would ever load up the API, I'd show you some of the ones I think you'd like.  Still waiting.  Getting impatient.  Google Search app is unreachable...crap...  Yay!
// Pseudo-random number
int randomNumber = Math.random();

// Absolute value
int num = Math.abs(randomNumber);

// e ^ number
double num2 = Math.exp(randomNumber);

// Log base 10
double num2 = Math.log10(randomNumber);

// Natural log
double num2 = Math.log(randomNumber);
// Guess which one we use more often

// Get the maximum of two numbers
num2 = Math.max(Math.random(), Math.random());

// Or the minimum
num2 = Math.min(Math.random(), Math.random());

Good stuff here.  Some of these you'll probably use a lot.  I seem to use Math.pow(double, double) a lot.  Well, that was a nice change of pace.  It was also a nice distraction.  I'd better get on with loops, though.

Loops ~ Over and over and over again

There are three different types of loops you need to know about.  While, For, and Do loops.  They're all pretty straightforward in their basic functionality.

A while loop runs so long as the condition passed to it is true.
// This is the general form of how a while loops works
while(condition);

// This is an infinite loop.  Always a bad idea.
while(true);

// Might help to...you know...do something...
boolean stop = false;

while(!stop) {
// do something...

// You may want to check some condition and
// set stop = true at some point.
}

// Not intuitive, but this still works
// The statement is true while stop is true
// Confusing, eh?
while(stop) {
// do something...
}

The loop will check the condition at the beginning of each round and if true, run everything in the loop.  If false, jump to whatever is after the loop.

For loops are similar except that you define when you want them to start and end.
// Basic form of a for loop
for(start, condition, increment);

// Here's an example
for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
// do something ten times
}

// Here's a more realistic example
// as well as the reason we covered
// arrays just now

// This prints out every element in the array
// Incidentally, I didn't tell you that you
// can call .length on an array to get the
// capacity of it.
int[] num = new int[15];

for(int i = 0; i < num.length; i++) {
System.out.println("Elements #" + i + ": " + num[i]);
}

// I can call .size() on an ArrayList to get the
// number of elements that it contains
ArrayList<Object> al = new ArrayList<Object>();

// Also, cheap way of populating a list
for(int i = 0; i < 5; i++) {
al.add(new Object());
}

// And then reading it
for(int i = 0; i < al.size(); i++) {
System.out.println(al.get(i));
}

// If you really want, you can embed these things
// inside of each other.  I use embedded for loops
// all the time
int a = 10, b = 10, c = 10;
int[][][] array = new int[a][b][c];

// This will run 1000 times.  Use it for things like
// traversing three dimensional arrays.
for(int i = 0; i < c; i++) {
for(int j = 0; j < b; j++) {
for(int k = 0; k < a; k++) {
System.out.println(array[i][j][k]);
}
}
}

Partly as code style and mostly as tradition, the letters i, j, and k are traditionally used as loop control variables.  Ideally, any time a programmer sees those variables, he or she can simply assume they are for loop control.  Keep going if you run out of letters.  Once, I had to use a six-embedded for loop.  I think I was using i, j, k, l, m, and n.

While and for loops must pass their condition before they can ever enter their loops.  If for some reason the condition is false the first time the code sees that loop, it's skipped entirely.  Do loops are unique in that they are assured to run at least once.  That is because do loops don't check their condition until the end of the loop.  They still kick out when they see a false condition, though.
// Basic form
do {
// do something
} while (condition);

// For example
do {
System.out.println("I can't think of anything.  Ever again.");
} while (true);

// Lets try this
boolean stop = false;

do {
if(stop)
stop = true;
} while (!stop);

// And just to prove it will work once
// remember that stop == true right now
do {
System.out.println("Going...");
} while (!stop);

I'm sorry I don't have as many example for do loops.  The reason is that I simply do not use them.  I was taught not to use them for some reason.  I think it's a stylistic thing on the part of my instructor.  It's about flow of code.  By my teaching I would much rather use a boolean to control my loops than to use a do loop just to ensure it happens once.  It's really not hard to ensure a normal while loop always happens once and is what I was taught to do.  It ends up looking something like this...
boolean stop = false;

while(!stop) {
// do something...
if (check something)
stop = true;
}

That will always run at least once and if the check fails, it'll set stop to true and stop the loop.  I might have to slap you on the wrist if you ask me for help with code using a do loop.

How do you decide which type of loop to use?  Simple, really.  If you know exactly how long the loop is going to run and you're only checking one condition, use a for loop.  If you don't know when the loop will end or have multiple conditions, use a while loop.  As I said, I just don't use do loops, but I imagine you might use them in place of a while loop if you want to ensure that it runs at least once.

What if I need to kick out of a loop early?  I was taught to use booleans to control my loops.  But there is a command called break that will pull you out of a loop or switch that you're in immedietly.  It's another one of those commands that I'll shoot you if I see you using in a loop.
// Here's how to use break.
// When i hits 50, the conditional
// passes and immedietly kills the loop
int i = 0;

while(i < Integer.MAX_VALUE) {
if(i == 50) {
break;
}
i++
}

// Here's how I would do the same thing.
i = 0;
boolean stop = false;

while(i < Integer.MAX_VALUE && !stop) {
if(i == 50) {
stop = true;
}
i++;
}

You know, I just realized that I didn't talk about switch ever.  I really should have done that in the Conditionals lesson.  Oh well...since there really isn't a good place in the roadmap and it'll go fast, I'll cover the basics of it here...

Switch ~ Conditionals The Old Way

Basically, you pass switch an integer or enum and it runs down it's list of cases and runs the code after that case.  This is the only place I won't shoot you for using break.  As the code goes down cases, if it doesn't hit a break, it will pass through cases.  This is called fall-through.  It's sometimes desireable.  If it does not find a matching case, it will match to default, assuming that is defined.  You can place a break after the last case, but it really isn't necessary.
// Basic structure
switch(condition) {
case 1:
// do something..
break;
case 2:
// do something..
break;
default:
// do something
}

// Choose even or odd numbers
// This utilized fallthrough to our advantage
switch(condition) {
case 1:
case 3:
case 5:
case 7:
case 9:
System.out.println("Odd");
break;
case 2:
case 4:
case 6:
case 8:
case 10:
System.out.println("Even");
break;
default:
System.out.println("Invalid Number");
}

// But maybe I don't want that...
// Yes the last break is unnecessary.
// It also doesn't hurt anything and it may help
// to remember to just put a break on all of them.
switch(condition) {
case 1:
System.out.println("One");
break;
case 2:
System.out.println("Two");
break;
case 3:
System.out.println("Three");
break;
default:
System.out.println("I'm too lazy to write any other numbers.");
break;
}

And that's all I'm saying about switch for now.  If you want to know more, ASK.

Post Epilogue

Hopefully somebody's still reading my lessons.  It's lower quality than I'd like because I wanted to get the thing out.  As always, I want to hear questions, complaints, and comments.

Also, there is no master source code file for this one...I wrote all the code in the lesson itself.  I didn't write anything in a programming environment.  That also means I'm assuming I did everything right.  If I f*ed something up, let me know so I can fix it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 22, 2012, 06:31:15 pm »

Why are we saying arrays of objects are magic? They work some what like arrays of primitives, you might make somebody think they are significantly more complex than they are.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 22, 2012, 06:33:44 pm »

Why are we saying arrays of objects are magic? They work some what like arrays of primitives, you might make somebody think they are significantly more complex than they are.

I'm wasn't saying arrays of objects are magic.  I'm saying objects are magic.  I haven't gotten around to talking about them yet.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 795