Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 795

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 804632 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #1650 on: February 22, 2012, 07:08:12 pm »

So, I've come to a terrible disagreement with a coworker.

When using the MVC architecture, I argue that the bulk of the business logic should be broken down and handled by the models, relying only on the controller to pull things together and pass messages. He thinks the controllers should handle the bulk of the business logic.

These views are clearly incompatible. I don't know what we're going to do, but I'm guessing it's gonna turn into a big mess. :/

At the very least we should probably stop arguing about it in front of the boss...
He is a fool, put the logic down in the model.
This is because each use case should has its own controller, and sometimes different use cases depend on the same functionality, so you must put your logic down in the model, or you will find yourself repeating logic. Further more, the model is a deep structure, while the controller is often just a shallow façade, putting logic in the controller will lead to massive chunks of code as the logic isn't spread over several classes. What he is proposing is a very blatant violation of Information Expert, a rather important GRASP pattern.

Punch him in the face for me, I hate it when people don't keep their damn logic in the model.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: February 22, 2012, 07:41:52 pm »

So, I've been offered an opportunity for an internship with a software company.  I think they make mobile phone applications, and I know "database" was thrown around a lot too.  I'm still waiting on the details, but it's definitely .NET and C-family related stuff.  I'll ask for people's experiences once I know what the actual software is.

I'm also using for free the study materials my uncle got from a stupidly expensive service certification college.  I'm studying the CompTIA A+ stuff right now.  It's presented in video form by Mike Meyers, meaning my uncle basically paid twenty grand for the extended version of a YouTube series.  It's supposed to be a ground-up course assuming no real prior computer expertise.  However, the first module is aimed at the business of being a technician, and the first couple videos are about hygiene and presentation.  "As nerds, these are not our strong points."
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: February 22, 2012, 07:46:23 pm »

.NET mobile phone applications?
You will be using silverlight.

Also, congratz!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: February 23, 2012, 12:10:58 am »

DAMN YOU PYTHON

I hate learning new languages. Yeah it gets easier every time, but the initial hump of constantly looking up syntax and wondering what the hell things do is so annoying. Once I get it down I'll like it just fine, but gah...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: February 23, 2012, 12:12:12 am »

What is giving you trouble? For syntax, python has never really seemed like the kind of thing that would cause much trouble... It is the built in functionality that is flawed to the level of being broken.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: February 23, 2012, 12:18:00 am »

I've only been working with it for like, 3 days, and I'm modifying something someone else made (this is probably the big part, not knowing my way around their code). Also I keep doing stuff like putting parenthesis around if statements.

And my IDE sucks, being horribly laggy. Better than wordpad though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: February 23, 2012, 12:20:21 am »

Yea... Not sure if there is a great IDE for it. If there is I don't know about it.
I think between eclipse and visual studio, I have become a little spoilt.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: February 23, 2012, 12:26:29 am »

So, I've been offered an opportunity for an internship with a software company.  I think they make mobile phone applications, and I know "database" was thrown around a lot too.  I'm still waiting on the details, but it's definitely .NET and C-family related stuff.  I'll ask for people's experiences once I know what the actual software is.

I'm also using for free the study materials my uncle got from a stupidly expensive service certification college.  I'm studying the CompTIA A+ stuff right now.  It's presented in video form by Mike Meyers, meaning my uncle basically paid twenty grand for the extended version of a YouTube series.  It's supposed to be a ground-up course assuming no real prior computer expertise.  However, the first module is aimed at the business of being a technician, and the first couple videos are about hygiene and presentation.  "As nerds, these are not our strong points."

Android is programmed with Java.
iOS is programmed with Objective-C.
Windows Phone, not sure, but I could see it being .NET.

I know nothing of Windows Phone, but if you're using C for mobile applications, I would guess they're talking about Objective-C to code for Apple iOS devices.  You don't use C on Windows Phone, do you?

For databases...might want to brush up on your SQL DBMS's.  For mobile...it depends whether the DBMS is on the device or a server the device connects to.  If it's on the device, it's probably SQLite.  If it's on a server, it could be any number of things...Oracle and MySQL being the most common.

You'll have to let us know what you're actually doing.  I'm decent at mobile application development and I'm actually very good at designing databases.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: February 23, 2012, 12:36:38 am »

He said "but it's definitely .NET", as such that cuts objective-c out as a possibility. All it really leaves in C#, F#, J#, VB.net , C++ with the .net framework, small BASIC and JScript.net...

Small BASIC is an actual possibility here, who would have thought?  :P

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: February 23, 2012, 01:02:13 pm »

Yea... Not sure if there is a great IDE for it. If there is I don't know about it.
I think between eclipse and visual studio, I have become a little spoilt.
Sublime 2, Notepad++, and Jedit (with the right plugins) all work well for casual python work.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: February 23, 2012, 01:33:30 pm »

Why would you use an IDE to write python? Pff. ViM or EMACS is all you need for that.

Seriously though, aren't most of the benefits of an IDE specifically because they handle linking and compiling and other stuff you don't really have to worry about with Python?

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: February 23, 2012, 01:52:50 pm »

Why would you use an IDE to write python? Pff. ViM or EMACS is all you need for that.

Seriously though, aren't most of the benefits of an IDE specifically because they handle linking and compiling and other stuff you don't really have to worry about with Python?
Well, syntax highlighting, auto-complete, error highlighting, and an interpreter inside the IDE are all very helpful for Python as well.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: February 23, 2012, 01:54:04 pm »

You'll have to let us know what you're actually doing.  I'm decent at mobile application development and I'm actually very good at designing databases.
He said "but it's definitely .NET", as such that cuts objective-c out as a possibility. All it really leaves in C#, F#, J#, VB.net , C++ with the .net framework, small BASIC and JScript.net...

I'm fairly convinced that the guy who set up the meeting didn't really know what he was talking about.  The required reading is C# 4.0, Murach's SQL 2008, and C# Pro-WPF.  So it's all C#, but there's nothing particularly "mobile" about it.

The fact that I do at least understand the rudiments of C# and program design should be a good leg up, but I'm a little afraid that if I say, "Yeah I know some C#" he'll start pitching a bunch of stuff at me that I won't know a damn thing about.  What I consider rudimentary, he may not consider C# 101.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: February 23, 2012, 01:54:21 pm »

Well, syntax highlighting, auto-complete, error highlighting, and an interpreter inside the IDE are all very helpful for Python as well.

You don't need an IDE for any of the first three, just a decent text editor. Notepad++, ViM and gViM do all of that, and they are just text editors.

I guess they don't have an in-editor interpreter (emacs does, though, I believe), but then I usually have my python interactive shell ready to go in another window anyways. :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:56:21 pm by GlyphGryph »

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: February 23, 2012, 02:56:47 pm »

I'm fairly convinced that the guy who set up the meeting didn't really know what he was talking about.  The required reading is C# 4.0, Murach's SQL 2008, and C# Pro-WPF.  So it's all C#, but there's nothing particularly "mobile" about it.

The fact that I do at least understand the rudiments of C# and program design should be a good leg up, but I'm a little afraid that if I say, "Yeah I know some C#" he'll start pitching a bunch of stuff at me that I won't know a damn thing about.  What I consider rudimentary, he may not consider C# 101.

That's actually fine.  Any sane supervisor will understand that you're still learning.  Oh, they'll still give you that mountain of stuff you don't understand, but they'll also help you figure it out if you need.  You'd be astounded just how quickly you learn when you're on the job.

All I can do to help you with C# is help as it relates to C or Java.  SQL, I really should be able to help you with.  SQL Server isn't bad.  It shouldn't give you many problems, but just in case...
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 795