Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 795

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 804513 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #1665 on: February 23, 2012, 03:39:06 pm »

You'll have to let us know what you're actually doing.  I'm decent at mobile application development and I'm actually very good at designing databases.
He said "but it's definitely .NET", as such that cuts objective-c out as a possibility. All it really leaves in C#, F#, J#, VB.net , C++ with the .net framework, small BASIC and JScript.net...

I'm fairly convinced that the guy who set up the meeting didn't really know what he was talking about.  The required reading is C# 4.0, Murach's SQL 2008, and C# Pro-WPF.  So it's all C#, but there's nothing particularly "mobile" about it.

The fact that I do at least understand the rudiments of C# and program design should be a good leg up, but I'm a little afraid that if I say, "Yeah I know some C#" he'll start pitching a bunch of stuff at me that I won't know a damn thing about.  What I consider rudimentary, he may not consider C# 101.

That's actually fine.  Any sane supervisor will understand that you're still learning.  Oh, they'll still give you that mountain of stuff you don't understand, but they'll also help you figure it out if you need.  You'd be astounded just how quickly you learn when you're on the job.

All I can do to help you with C# is help as it relates to C or Java.  SQL, I really should be able to help you with.  SQL Server isn't bad.  It shouldn't give you many problems, but just in case...

Yea, sounds like standard c# development. The "mobile" aspect may... or may not... be mobile web development using asp.net with c# as the back end. If so, you may also want to catch up on webforms or MS MVC, xml, html and javascript.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: February 23, 2012, 05:01:36 pm »

The fact that I do at least understand the rudiments of C# and program design should be a good leg up, but I'm a little afraid that if I say, "Yeah I know some C#" he'll start pitching a bunch of stuff at me that I won't know a damn thing about.  What I consider rudimentary, he may not consider C# 101.

That's actually fine.  Any sane supervisor will understand that you're still learning.  Oh, they'll still give you that mountain of stuff you don't understand, but they'll also help you figure it out if you need.  You'd be astounded just how quickly you learn when you're on the job.

So, he did pitch a bunch of stuff at me about database software and server management and stuff that I absorbed like a brick.  But he was very impressed by saying I'd been teaching myself C# (which is technically true) and had written Java database frontends before.  The actual thing that he wants to do is take me on as grunt programming labor for a project he was hired for, and have me read the books on my time and work with him on Saturdays, for he expects like three months.  Then that'll be actual work experience with programming, and he might hire me into his new company at the end.

Basically, I think I'm in waaay over my head, but if this thread is anything to go by, that's the right of passage for programming.  And to think, this thread started because of me futzing around with a roguelike idea, at a time when I wasn't even thinking about a career with computers.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: February 23, 2012, 05:04:26 pm »

Glad we could help man! Not sure just how much help I can be with database stuff, as I have never used your ORM, but as far as SQL goes I can always provide a few handy pointers.
Normalisation is my bitch.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: February 23, 2012, 05:11:39 pm »

I guess they don't have an in-editor interpreter (emacs does, though, I believe), but then I usually have my python interactive shell ready to go in another window anyways. :shrug:
Not nativly as far as I know (or, at least, not in Emacs 24. It apparently was present in Emacs 23, but it got removed), though there are some packages that provide this functionality (python-mode for one). Edit: A cursory look reveals that, yes it works, but it's nowhere near complete functionality (at least for someone who's used to slime). Autocompletion seems to be lacking (no fuzzy completion for example) and there's no tight integration of the python shell with the opened files yet. Ropemacs with pymacs fixes most of these problems, though it doesn't offer tight shell integration apparently. Alternatively, Ipython also provides most of this and has better shell integration.

Note that there is also this. which provides a python shell for Vim.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:23:52 pm by Virex »

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: February 23, 2012, 06:44:39 pm »

I prefer using Geany for Python programming. It's very similar to Notepad++, but I find the plugin system a lot easier to work with. Plus, I like how it looks.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: February 23, 2012, 08:09:12 pm »

I use Scite as an IDE.  It doesn't do much other than syntax highlighting, but its pretty nice for a simple IDE.  I think it comes with ruby, as it keeps mysteriously getting installed on all my computers.    :o

Edit: Woot, and I just found out how to do reflection stuff in python.  Its got an inspect module!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:14:01 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: February 24, 2012, 12:29:00 am »

Who's ready for another edition of "point out the obvious flaws in Sirus' code"?  ::)

Alright, so today's topic is if-else branches and switches. Should be easy stuff. Once again, I believe my mental block with functions is to blame. It's weird though, since most of the calling code comes from stuff that the teacher himself typed out. I get no overt errors during compilation, but any valid score returns a negative number and an F. Oddly, entering an invalid score does return the proper error message and end the program like it should.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I honestly wish I could be a helper in this thread, or at least not have so many problems. I just want to thank people for being so patient with me, and not beat me over the head too hard.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: February 24, 2012, 12:35:45 am »

Your getScore function definition should take an int pointer like the declaration, which means you can just pass that pointer to scanf.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: February 24, 2012, 12:48:25 am »

It...doesn't seem to be working. Are you talking about changing the code to this:
Code: [Select]
int getScore(int *score) - because that gets me the same result, and I also get a squiggle line under the <= operand saying that types int * and int are incompatible.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: February 24, 2012, 12:52:28 am »

Yes I am. Also you need to change the if statement to if((*score > 0)&&(*score <= 100)) because you need score to be a pointer so that the score variable in main() can be changed by the getScore function.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: February 24, 2012, 12:55:18 am »

That did it!  :)

I had tried that before actually, but I forgot to get rid of the ampersand in the scanf and the whole thing crashed.

EDIT: Well, after that the rest of my assignment was easy. Just a few nested if-else statements and logical operators.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:03:20 am by Sirus »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: February 24, 2012, 02:26:37 am »

The 3D networked multiplayer space shooter we are writing in Flash/Actionscript is going very well! In the 7 days since we started, we've got 3d ships rendering (with phong shading), the networking system is almost entirely implemented (and the parts of it which are have been tested fairly thoroughly), collision detection should be done in a couple days, and overall, we seem to be on track for the due date of Wednesday.
How is Actionscript taking it? I'm under the impression that it is a lot more refined than it once was.
Fairly well so far as speed goes, though we aren't rendering much yet. The true test will come later this week when we add in a bunch of other objects. I wouldn't really call it refined though. We are using the new Stage3D (info here) stuff; you have to download an up to date version of the AS libraries to use it, as none of the flash builder versions have it out of the box yet. The rather lengthy setup process for the particular set we are used can be found here; we're using Away3D to make our lives not hell. Stage3D uses both fragment and vertex shaders, which unfortunately must be written in AGAL assembly language (which btw is a pain to find documentation for, as Stage3D is the only thing the language is for, and Stage3D documentation isn't exactly great to begin with). It's an odd mix of Actionscript, a language meant for beginner level programmers, and 3D graphics programming requiring about the same level of skill as DirectX or OpenGL. The shaders are running on the GPU, making it quite nice for rendering, unlike Flash's previous 3D setup, which was CPU only; and interpreted CPU at that.

For the networking we are using the beta version of Adobe's Cirrus, which makes it relatively simple. It essentially sets up a network so as to put all your applications into a 'room' in which they broadcast their messages to the other applications in the 'room.' It uses a central Adobe server to find that room, but other than that is p2p.

This quarter's looking into Stage3D and some of the other Flash stuff really makes it look much more promising than it previously appeared to me; that it can be used for fully 3D, GPU rendered games certainly brings it above the level it previously existed on. Though as it is interpreted on the CPU side, it is gimped in that regard.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:33:39 am by alway »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #1677 on: February 24, 2012, 02:00:38 pm »

I have a class, and I need a 2D array of this class, but it seems I also need a constructor for arrays in this class. Anyone know how to do this?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1678 on: February 24, 2012, 02:25:29 pm »

I have a class, and I need a 2D array of this class, but it seems I also need a constructor for arrays in this class. Anyone know how to do this?

What language?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: February 24, 2012, 02:25:58 pm »

What language are you using? I don't know of one that'd require you to do anything special for arrays of a custom class...

EDIT: ninja'd...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 795