Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 841210 times)

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #2175 on: April 16, 2012, 06:12:47 pm »

The challenge lies within concepts, abstract stuff, and connecting all that stuff in your brain, before you write it down.

Quite similar to natural languages, if you ask me. The basic grammar takes only a few months for me to get--but it's the deeper things like idioms, slang, informal grammar, and the like, that are the truly hard part to learn.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: April 16, 2012, 06:37:48 pm »

I'm reviving this game.

Note that it's super early and nothing resembling playable, just a skeleton and a poor one at that.  Now that I haven't touched it in a while, I have enough context to fix the badly coded parts.  I'm building it with good network code from the ground up (instead of its previous complete lack thereof), and within a reasonably short amount of time (a few weeks), those consoles will be interactive.  Collision detection on the ship is currently terrible, and the single player flies around instead of walking; after about 2-4 months of work, I have a reliable plan to have multiple players on a single ship, walking around, and able to see each others' interactions with the ship consoles.

After that, development of gameplay in one of three directions.  1) ship-to-ship combat, 2) research/engineering projects, 3) exploring and finding planets.  All of those will take tons of work, well, the research projects not so much (since it's just one player playing a puzzle game for as long as they want, while their performance is tracked over long periods).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: April 16, 2012, 06:42:26 pm »

Something strange just struck me about programming langs.

If programs are written in programming languages....then what are the programming languages themselves written in?
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: April 16, 2012, 06:44:06 pm »

Something strange just struck me about programming langs.

If programs are written in programming languages....then what are the programming languages themselves written in?

If English textbooks teach you English, then what language are they written in?  :P
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2179 on: April 16, 2012, 06:48:41 pm »

More seriously, they really are written in that language (or C or C++ or any other common language.)
In the end, though, they write to Machine Language. 0s and 1s as defined by the OS and/or hardware of your system.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: April 16, 2012, 06:52:23 pm »

Yeah, but...SOMEONE had to originally define what all that fancy stuff in, say, Python, like variables, does

(man, that sentence was awkward)

In the end, though, they write to Machine Language. 0s and 1s as defined by the OS and/or hardware of your system.

If I wanted to be a dick, I'd ask what machine language is written, but given how that would go down the slippery slope into a "chicken or the egg" paradox, I'll take your answer. Thanks!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2181 on: April 16, 2012, 06:56:01 pm »

No, really, Machine Language is THE original language.
Or, more exactly, the circuits define what you could do. Think of Minecraft and its redstone. A certain machine code does a certain specific thing (or chain of things) defined in the processor.

Yeah, but...SOMEONE had to originally define what all that fancy stuff in, say, Python, like variables, does

That's defined in the compiler, which is most likely C++/C#/Cocoa/other code, which leads to my answer. I'm sure Wikipedia has a better explanation, even though it is Wikipedia.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: April 16, 2012, 07:30:46 pm »

Some languages that different compilers/interpreters are written in:

gcc: C (originally asm, but switched over)
g++: Mostly C, with some C++
Python (CPython): C
Python (PyPy): Python
PERL: C

Brainfuck: EVERY LANGUAGE IN EXISTENCE

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2183 on: April 16, 2012, 07:35:21 pm »

C++ (Code::Blocks, at least. Microsoft Visual Studio also.) compilers are written in C++. Eclipse (Java) was written in, surprisingly, Java.

gebe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: April 16, 2012, 07:37:47 pm »

C++ (Code::Blocks, at least. Microsoft Visual Studio also.) compilers are written in C++. Eclipse (Java) was written in, surprisingly, Java.

Eclipse is an IDE though. But javac, the Java compiler, is also written in Java.

edit: By the way, just on a side note, I study computational linguistics and from empirical observations I would say that the correlation between being a good linguist and a good programmer is about zero :D I work with some great linguists (NLP studies usually tend to be a crucible with people either coming from the field of linguistics or from CS) that have problems even grasping seemingly elementary programming concepts and in practice are awful programmers.

Of course there are brilliant linguists that are also brilliant programmers but it usually boils down to them being smart, hardworking people with a burning passion for both fields more than an inherent ability for learning any kind of language, be it natural or formal, just because they have studied linguistics. However you put it learning to program is absolutely nothing compared to learning a natural language and I would say the similarities (regarding the general learning experience) are few even though the jargon may sometimes overlap.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:06:50 pm by gebe »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2185 on: April 16, 2012, 07:38:58 pm »

Oops, confused front& backends xD

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: April 16, 2012, 07:39:19 pm »

If you trace all the compilers back, the first ones were written in assembly. Then new ones were written in the compilers written in assembly. Etcetera.

The first c++ compiler was written in a wacky offshoot of c, as I recall. Dunno about Java.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2187 on: April 16, 2012, 07:40:03 pm »

I'd imagine Java was first written in some C type code, then written in a compiler of Java in Java.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: April 16, 2012, 08:02:25 pm »

Someone explain this to me:

Generating 4096x4096 random 8-bit integers takes 8.0 seconds.

Generating 4096x4096 random 64-bit floating point numbers and casting them to 32 bit floats takes 7.5 seconds.

I'm using C++ and boost::random.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: April 16, 2012, 08:20:58 pm »

Hmmm. Maybe downcasting to a 8-bit integer takes some time, or possibly the second scenario is better positioned to take advantage of certain features of modern CPUs?
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 796