Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130]

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 294336 times)

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:incessant muttering]
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1935 on: September 14, 2023, 03:32:13 pm »

I'd consider myself an amateur, as I have no published works and am not actively attempting to. Sitting down and actually forcing myself to finish something sounds exhausting, so I mostly make errant notes about worldbuilding. I do dream of creating a great book focused on my world, though, but ask me how much I've done to make that a reality. A short description of something, then, and a W.I.P., as well as a story written a few years ago.

And then, the only piece I've actually put on my website (best viewed on Firefox): https://thesodafoutain.neocities.org/htmls/book/jo-ur
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Richard Stallman's Kind Communication Guidelines

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: February 19, 2024, 08:48:18 pm »

Spoiler: Part 10 (click to show/hide)
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: March 30, 2024, 07:31:56 am »

So, I am using my recent bout of COVID to write up a short guide of general advice.
I'm calling it "How the Ant defeats the Elephant" or perhaps "How the Ant becomes the Elephant".

It's supposed to be generally good info for how to approach the task of confronting a seemingly more powerful person, place, or thing as a normal weak relatively powerless individual.

I'm embarrassed at how short it is, honestly.

Any ideas of what might help it be more useful? Anecdotes? Stories? Parables? Raw facts?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: March 30, 2024, 09:54:43 am »

Depends entirely on what impact you're going for.

Think of your audience. What do you reckon they'd want to see more of? Facts? Cute stories?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: March 30, 2024, 11:21:20 am »

Now that I'm up to 7 pages, it's probably more important what will keep them reading. I would like them to finish it, and ideally learn from it.

There is also the issue that in order to maintain autonomy, I'm an unreliable narrator. Ergo, I will have to spend some time proving that the advice is Skookum and not Hokum. I only just realized in these terms are basically opposites. Skookum

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: March 30, 2024, 12:30:13 pm »

Yea, then show don't tell. A few wee stories to round it out and keep folks hooked.

I would say that as an unreliable narrator, folks will distrust overt messages or facts. So yea, lie all you like, it won't matter too much. But keep the theme truthful.

Zum Beispiel - If the theme is 'love unites us' then the narrator could say '10,000 couples kill each other every year.' All good, and instantly distrusted.

But in the context of the theme, he'd be speaking to, for instance, a family of woodland critters. These, though from different species and levels of the food chain, united to preserve the life of a lost puppy - who had touched all their hearts.

So yea, overt versus implied. Mine that implied meaning, friend, and draw forth gold.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 03:17:27 pm by TD1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130]