Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [NOW WITH A BOOK!] Project Stardust - a mostly-hard-SF worldbuild  (Read 7669 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: [NOW WITH A BOOK!] Project Stardust - a mostly-hard-SF worldbuild
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2023, 05:10:13 am »

The twentieth chapter of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! Here the orb theft subplot started in the last chapter is resolved. The next chapter will be the last one set partially in Yectkogg-- the gang is departing towards the space of the Anti-Abyssal Bulwark soon. But for now, yet another minor character is introduced.

I think I said all there is to say about the banal hell that is the Yectkogg Corporation. Was kinda depressing to write this.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2024, 05:15:47 am »

The twenty-first chapter of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! This is a chonky one. Elektra finally gets to do her job. The unlikely passengers they found in Ch.18 get comfortable... ish. And finally the group leaves this accursed station, as the plot threads set up on it get tied back up. Enjoy! The next chapter might be somewhat shorter. We're entering the last legs of the crew's journey.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2024, 06:06:58 am »

The twenty-first chapter of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! This is a chonky one. Elektra finally gets to do her job. The unlikely passengers they found in Ch.18 get comfortable... ish. And finally the group leaves this accursed station, as the plot threads set up on it get tied back up. Enjoy! The next chapter might be somewhat shorter. We're entering the last legs of the crew's journey.
The twenty-second chapter of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! This is another long chapter. Most importantly, a lot of important worldbuilding happens here! Most of the nations described here will be very important to future books and the later chapters of this book. But there are also some insights into what relmai culture is like, for those who (as recommended) are starting with this book.

A starmap has been added to the post-chapter author's note. Will be updated each chapter. I'm posting it here, for those who aren't following along with the book (no spoilers in it, tbh).

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2024, 08:00:41 am »

The twenty-fourth chapter of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! Yet another gigantic chapter... and a combat chapter at that. However, this combat is resolved in a rather unconventional way... in any case, the ways of the traitorous captain Elijs Valters backfire. Jamaad and Kuw get to shine, mostly. In addition, an outline of what the last leg of the journey will entail is described at the end, and it ain't pretty.

Also, the map has been updated.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2024, 09:33:31 pm »

The twenty-fifth chapter of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! Moderately-sized chapter compared to the previous ones. As the title implies, this is the true last respite of any kind before the gauntlet that will be the last stretch of the journey. Nevertheless, what happens here is an important, and definitely unexpected, bit of worldbuilding that WILL be relevant later in the franchise. Check it out!

I'm gonna finish this book soon, then re-edit parts of the first book (cleaning up janky writing as that was my first book, various worldbuilding retcons, etc).

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2024, 08:24:31 pm »

The twenty-sixth chapter of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! Back to our normal-ish chapter sizes. Some warp lore, and most importantly the true start of the harrowing gauntlet that will be the least few jumps. These next few chapters will be chaos.

I expect the end to be somewhere around chapter 30.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2024, 09:53:51 pm »

The twenty-seventh chapter of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! As the title (Chaos!) implies, the wringer starts here. The ship is in some serious trouble at this point-- but what is the extent of the damage? And what consequences are there to it? Find out!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2024, 10:35:21 pm »

The 30th chapter of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! The mental state of much of the crew reaches an all-time low. As I stated before, the last few jumps were a meatgrinder, previously physical and now emotional. Now the grand finale is approaching. Will the crew of the Pheidippides manage to reach their destination while remaining sane?

This is the last "normal" chapter! The next chapter will contain the ending, an epilogue, and a post-mortem writeup. There is no deadline for it, expect it in under 2 weeks though.

So yea am about to finish this book.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2024, 04:21:29 am »

The ending of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! The finale of a lengthy and harrowing journey. More than 3 times longer than the usual chapters are; I wanted to wrap everything up neatly. Most of it is the intense final space battle. What happens after? Might not be what you expect!

Thank you for reading!

Next up I'll fix my first book... the first book is very, very janky, needs a bit of editing. The quality in Marathon is more consistent.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2024, 03:45:21 am »

My first book, which used to be highly janky, has been de-janked as much as I could. It's still the first long-form writing I ever did, so the quality is definitely not as high as Marathon, but it's very readable and the premise is rather unusual. It's not military sci-fi unlike the second book, rather it's about a space road trip that ends up stumbling into a conspiracy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]