Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1258313 times)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #10410 on: March 11, 2019, 12:08:21 pm »

A mole, actually:

Well, really a "moal" (thus my personal text), which is just a mole that writes poetry. I'm the only one, anyway.

I suppose this counts as something I drew, so it's not off-topic...
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: March 11, 2019, 12:33:22 pm »

Poetry, you say?

TRIGGERED
Never heard of a moal before. Is it from a book? Either way, that arm is suspiciously tea-pot-handle shape. Definitely a teapot in disguise.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10412 on: March 11, 2019, 02:16:02 pm »

enthusiasm
responsibility
truly
And it might sound better to say "Only the northern campaign truly matters," if that's the sense you're going for.
(I do this for a living)

If I may ask: everyone in this world seems to wear very dark, mostly black clothing. Is there a particular reason for that?
Nice demon master, by the way.

Thanks for the spelling check, sorry for my broken english (it's good by french standards, I swear)

As for the black clothing...Well. DF says undyed cloth is gray... But gray (50/50) doesn't look good, so I use a darker gray. The fur on the goblin is troll fur, gray aswell.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: March 11, 2019, 02:32:29 pm »

As for the black clothing...Well. DF says undyed cloth is gray... But gray (50/50) doesn't look good, so I use a darker gray. The fur on the goblin is troll fur, gray aswell.

In gameplay terms probably, but Kenaf, hemp, and jute seem to be more of a beige, cotton and linen more of a light gray or maybe white, ramie's a bit of a medium-to-light grey, and I would imagine rope reed stuff to be more of a brown, with Pig Tails and troll wool being a true medium. Wool from other critters would vary from animal to animal.

Plus there's the matter of dyes which allows a bit more creative freedom (no reason goblins wouldn't have black, green, red, or blue clothes after all. They can be dyers too.)

Finally finished some character drawings, one of a Grey Hat hacker named Katja Holland on one of her few trips into Redwood (not fond of the regular near death experiences those trips entail.)

And one of Apolonia, a hideous amalgamation of poloish cavalry history (modern knee and elbow pads, 1930s revolver, a Napoleonic dress uniform, and renaissance era metal armor and boots, with some modern paint/dye on both.) Created and drawn as a thank you to someone for making the hive beasts I need for a bee-based fortress project. She's a nutty one, and probably wouldn't look out of place in 40k as part of some strange pan-slavic themed guard regiment.

I need to do more dynamic stuff, but character art is at least something to give me ecessary practice in other areas at least.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10414 on: March 11, 2019, 02:59:08 pm »

Yeah...I try from time to time to use references from reality, like some kenaf hoods are light brown and all...But in general I prefer to rely on DF readings and avoid moving too much from it. For instances, goblins don't use dye, pearlites don't either, simply because it's not in the culture DF generated. People from Amegil use emerald dye, and since they do really ressemble pearlites physically, it's used to differenciate them. Same for people in the southern island, who have wildly different cultural garments (people from the deep south use veils for instance, and both red and green clothes).

Having red cloacks is one of my secret objectives long term, and I'll describe it as a technological advancement. My objective is to stick by DF's understanding as close as possible for this kind of little details

Have more Thomocemir knights, Gorhax and Slada

Also you have improved a lot lemme say that
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:03:02 pm by Cathar »

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: March 11, 2019, 03:04:15 pm »

Never heard of a moal before. Is it from a book?

Just a pun I came up with years ago (back when I wrote poetry). I chose "Loam" as my pseudonym (for no reason, just popped into my head) and decided Loam was a mole: "Moal" is, of course, an anagram of Loam (or is it... the other way 'round???)

Thanks for the spelling check, sorry for my broken english (it's good by french standards, I swear)

Your English is good by English standards, which is sort of depressing.
Thought as much about the clothing; you pay attention to all the little details DF gives out, which is cool. But surely some of those folks are wearing leather gear also?
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10416 on: March 11, 2019, 03:12:47 pm »

Sure they do ^^ When they wear leather I draw leather, which is brown according to DF. For instance this page :

Leather is just far less common than textile for clothing.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: March 11, 2019, 03:33:16 pm »

I sincerely never noticed a difference in dyes being used culturally in-game. I always seem to just find dudes wearing random mish-mashes of dyed and undyed clothing + leather of various sorts. Except for elves. Elves obviously just wear cloth outside of battle.

But then I'm not quite so involved with things of that nature as you are with stuff in Mong Kima.  :P

And if you mean I improved compared to what I opened with, it's probably because that stuff was already a couple months/weeks old at that point I think. I like to think I'm at least getting better at proportions and lighting though (legs still seem to be a weak spot, and certain perspectives for hands and items.)

Also it's spelled cloak.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10418 on: March 11, 2019, 03:41:07 pm »

DF doesn't get the credit it deserves for keeping tracks of goods ^^ Ever noticed only dwarves wear blue in vanilla? That's because blue dye (dimple cups I think) only grow underground. Goblins and elves have no agriculture, and human only farm above ground. For people in Mong Kima, they simply do not occupy land where dye grows, so they don't have access to it. Maybe when I'm done with my conquests it will change tho

Also what I mean is I'm observing a clear and consistant progession with every one of your uploads, even including recent ones.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:48:30 pm by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: March 11, 2019, 03:48:26 pm »

I'll be a cheeky shit and say "What, it never occurred to them to buy dye from traders?" :P

But honestly, half of what my dwarves wear is undyed or leather. So it's one of those things that, as said, I never noticed or bothered to notice, though I do make an effort to dye my in-house thread.

Still, you definitely do good work on the drawing front. Much better than what I can do, since I tend to go through lulls in activity and I can't seem to just force myself to do shit.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10420 on: March 11, 2019, 03:54:18 pm »

Well, just throwing that out there, but if you're up for an art trade at any point, the door is wide open

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10421 on: March 11, 2019, 04:01:25 pm »

Well, just throwing that out there, but if you're up for an art trade at any point, the door is wide open

Never really done such a thing. Not exactly a clamoring interest in what I come up with, y'know? :P

Don;t really have anything beyond here and a deviantart page I haven't put anything on for... hell, a couple months now I think, to put anything anyway.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10422 on: March 11, 2019, 05:08:04 pm »

People's interest is about 90% marketing and 10% skills, something along those lines, and I suck at marketing myself so I don't judge people for not moving the crowds. Your art is good and getting better and better and if you enjoy drawing I do encourage you to continue because you have more than potential.

I'm interested in your dA tho

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: March 11, 2019, 05:12:22 pm »

I made an axe worthy of a great dwarf warrior in Blender!

Click here for the full image!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: March 11, 2019, 11:21:00 pm »

That looks excellent, though your link appears broken.

I've organized an assortment of room props:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Today I've modelled a dart set.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:26:03 pm by BlackFlyme »
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 845