Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1260528 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #11805 on: February 02, 2021, 06:50:07 pm »

So, was the result completely unexpected, or are you able to know in advance if an image have the potential to generate something interesting?

I knew that the Paulstretch effect in Audacity has the potential to produce these sorta psychedelic patterns when you give it these images in "planar RGB" format. Planar RGB is very simple. You take the R, G and B components of a picture, then you just have these 3 planes of R, G and B stored right next to each other that then get combined to produce a full-color image.

So then I wanted to try this idea in other color formats, just out of curiosity. There's this thing mostly in video called YUV/YCbCr. What that does is store the grayscale image (Y), the blue projection (U/Cb), and the red projection (V/Cr). It depends on the exact format, but I went with planar YUV 4:4:4, which just stores the Y, U and V components as planes of grayscale, blue, and red right next to each other in some way that I'm not aware of without dropping the resolution of any component.

I went into FFmpeg, banged my head against the wall trying to get it to work, got it to convert that nice picture into YUV, put that into Audacity and Paulstretched it. Then I banged my head against the wall yet again trying to get FFmpeg to accept the nonsense it's being fed, and finally got that result. At least it does produce nice color patterns, so that time I spent wasn't completely in vain. Could've gone completely sideways; I'm very sure this technique hasn't ever been published as a databending method. I am completely on my own for the first and last thirds (the parts involving FFmpeg) of this process.

I think I should write about this. I don't see myself as an artist, I see myself as a scientist who just happens to produce art on occasion, so I do want to just publish this method as an extension of the general method as detailed here and here. Maybe I'll try with different color formats, since with FFmpeg, I get to mess with a wide range of those. I don't care that my work is entirely reproducible on any computer with the right know-how. That's the point.

Edit: I have no clue how yuv444p, the pixel format I used is supposed to work. It's not 3 planes of Y, U and V stacked together consecutively.

Quote from: Yellow Pixel
Did you choose the original picture because of the rainbow?

It's pretty much that. I knew that the whole YUV thing basically splits images into the brightness component and two color components, so I wanted a colorful image so that the effect has something to work with. Effects cannot create new data, they can only manipulate it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 11:26:45 pm by methylatedspirit »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #11806 on: February 03, 2021, 12:51:00 am »

While I figure out what the everloving heck is going on with this format I've chosen, I made (not the original photo, but the results) these. They're all based on the idea of "what happens if I lower the bit depth (roughly corresponding to "color smoothness") of the color components of an image, but keep the original brightness component?" These aren't quite as spectacular as the Paulstretch ones, but I think it's interesting.

It's just a colorful noise filter that seems to skip every 3rd column. How about I just ditch this odd toolset for a bit, and just use GIMP?

Okay, this looks better, but I think the random dither doesn't look right. Now I'm going back to this Audacity and FFmpeg toolset, and add GIMP to the mix. I used GIMP to split the image into YUV, exported the YUV components separately, converted them into raw YUV, then applied Decimator to the individual color components. Reconverted them back into RGB format, and saved the resulting decimated color components. Used GIMP to recombine these images into full-color, and I get:

I dunno if there's a dithering method that behaves exactly like this, rendering my effort moot, but I think there's some kind of charm to this.

Attribution for original photo: Photo by Damian Markutt on Unsplash

Sidenote: When I refer to "Decimator", I'm referring to this one. It doesn't come with Audacity; you have to download it from elsewhere, and unfortunately, it seems like the original page for it has been lost, so I'm forced to point to a Softpedia page.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 01:01:16 am by methylatedspirit »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11807 on: February 03, 2021, 04:33:44 am »

Advised by master Celt bodypainters, I used Bourbon whiskey in my coffee paint, and it's the best formula I tested yet. Doesn't hinder the skin at all, it's easy to paint with a brush, dries up quickly and can be removed easily. So here's some new Kawavmaku:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11808 on: February 03, 2021, 05:38:26 am »

shave your arm, paint will go on better

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11809 on: February 03, 2021, 06:33:36 am »

A lighter can be used to shave your arm incredibly fast, had that happen once and man did it stink.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11810 on: February 03, 2021, 12:16:51 pm »

I think I should write about this. I don't see myself as an artist, I see myself as a scientist who just happens to produce art on occasion, so I do want to just publish this method as an extension of the general method as detailed here and here. Maybe I'll try with different color formats, since with FFmpeg, I get to mess with a wide range of those. I don't care that my work is entirely reproducible on any computer with the right know-how. That's the point.

While I figure out what the everloving heck is going on with this format I've chosen, I made (not the original photo, but the results) these. They're all based on the idea of "what happens if I lower the bit depth (roughly corresponding to "color smoothness") of the color components of an image, but keep the original brightness component?" These aren't quite as spectacular as the Paulstretch ones, but I think it's interesting.

Thanks for the info about these great artistic discoveries! I knew nothing about how works this kind of picture wizardry before yesterday, so it satisfy my curiosity. You really should publish the technique.

Advised by master Celt bodypainters, I used Bourbon whiskey in my coffee paint, and it's the best formula I tested yet.

Nice edible bodypaint: now with new side effects (if you drink it :P).

A scene from a fable I am currently writing, an unnamed Kevekiii Ūāvaukek is wandering the land and encounters a Vakvakok, a guardian spirit of rivers.

I'm already charmed!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #11811 on: February 03, 2021, 05:38:49 pm »

Advised by master Celt bodypainters, I used Bourbon whiskey in my coffee paint, and it's the best formula I tested yet.

You're supposed to paint with it, not drink it. ;p
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11812 on: February 04, 2021, 02:29:51 am »

That's what they told me about lead based paints, but that didn't stop me!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11813 on: February 04, 2021, 07:44:29 pm »

Someone else's design, drawn by request
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Spoiler: wobble-eyes (click to show/hide)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11814 on: February 05, 2021, 03:20:40 pm »

A lighter can be used to shave your arm incredibly fast, had that happen once and man did it stink.

Just curious, was it an accident or on purpose?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11815 on: February 06, 2021, 04:43:49 am »

One day in high school a friend of mine had a lighter and asked if I wanted to see something cool, and I said yes then he put the lighter near my arm and suddenly I didn't have arm hair anymore, surprised the hell out of me didn't expect it to just go up and be gone so fast.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11816 on: February 06, 2021, 04:55:54 am »

One day in high school a friend of mine had a lighter and asked if I wanted to see something cool, and I said yes then he put the lighter near my arm and suddenly I didn't have arm hair anymore, surprised the hell out of me didn't expect it to just go up and be gone so fast.

Can I call you King Zultan III. the Armhairless now?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11817 on: February 06, 2021, 06:05:51 am »

Can I call you King Zultan III. the Armhairless now?
If you want to I have no problem with it, also why III?

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11818 on: February 06, 2021, 06:14:31 am »

Last time I checked you had three heads, I dunno

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11819 on: February 06, 2021, 06:18:30 am »

Last time I checked you had three heads, I dunno
That makes since.
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 845