Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 819 820 [821] 822 823 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1263054 times)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #12300 on: December 16, 2021, 02:16:10 pm »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #12301 on: December 17, 2021, 06:40:54 pm »

Unfortunate that many of the images in the earlier posts in this thread are dead links by now.

woodsmoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12302 on: December 19, 2021, 03:28:27 pm »

I got into a strange mood and messed around with ink.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 03:31:24 pm by woodsmoke »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12303 on: December 19, 2021, 03:50:56 pm »

And you made an artifact  ;). Looks great.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #12304 on: December 19, 2021, 05:24:52 pm »

Page 32... I think

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12305 on: December 20, 2021, 07:49:15 am »

I probably said it already but I really love this guy's attitude.

Spoiler: Grandfather 2.0 (click to show/hide)

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12306 on: December 20, 2021, 12:45:27 pm »

Almost done

so so good. I love seeing these, art is incredible.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #12307 on: December 21, 2021, 05:54:10 am »

Thanks a lot ^^ It's almost done : one more page and I'll post the whole chapter.

Also a gift to the FH discord chat that I'm currently part of

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12308 on: December 22, 2021, 12:43:55 am »

I created a fantasy setting for NaNoWriMo a few years ago where the only intelligent creatures were sapient dragons instead of humans.  On a whim, I've decided to pick it up again and drew a reference image for myself of what a male looks like, with a human for scale reference:

Slightly bigger standalone without the scale background:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are a few details I'm not sold on yet.  The auricles/pinnae/external ears are out of place on a reptilian creature, but they have wings too so they're clearly not true reptiles I guess, and I think they're cute so I want to keep them.  I'm not sure about the frill either, which looks stolen from Spyro, but I've always thought dragon heads looked too bare without something like that.  The scales/scutes making up the "eyebrows" seem a bit too human, but I like what they allow for expressions so I'll probably keep them.

I mostly drew the reference because I'm trying to figure out other details for the setting, like how clothes of all things will work.  The wings make clothes really hard to envision, without a seemingly unreasonable amount of complexity from laces or buttons.  They have somewhat clumsy thumbs and don't have quite the manual dexterity that humans do, so I don't want to go overboard on that.  It almost feels like they'd have to have help putting any kind of clothes on, which admittedly would make the story interesting if a bit strange.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12309 on: December 22, 2021, 04:22:09 am »

Oh yes an excuse to talk about frogs some more

Yeah, clothing is a problem when it comes to animal people. Can share some insights from my ponderings.

I guess the first question is, do they even need clothes, and what you've already touched upon, can they make them without overt difficulty to satisfy the need. In my setting the frog people generally, don't wear clothes, it's mostly a ceremonial deal for the priestly class or other authorities. The most covered up occupation is a leper doctor, for obvious reasons

They don't feel the same shame as we do, and they don't settle in areas where they would freeze. I picture them being a lil' bit more reptilian-ish than a pure amphibian, with somewhat sturdier skin that prevents them from drying up, that is, they drink as we do and wouldn't die in salt water, though it does cause irritation to some races. With the cold-blooded aspect, that I haven't defined much as of yet, but it is clear to me they should be susceptible to cold, which presents a problem for kvaksas from the Great Island, where there's a seasonal climate and they have to deal with winter, even snow. It wouldn't be very smart of them going full on dormant, sealing within their clay-coated insulated homes and not doing anything for a whole season. For anyone operating outside, clothing is a must have.

There are these fur bags the kvaksas rest in in winter, but they would have their uses outside, too, I imagine it being strapped to a back of a hound so the rider is warm, this would let hunters go out in the winter. The pack monitors lizards would be dormant, though, so each settlement would have to fend mostly for itself - winters would cut trading completely in these parts.

For the question how these are made, the frogs do possess some fine motor skills, males having an enlarged thumb excellent for weapon gripping, but there's also magic, all of the weaving was done by magi-priests at one point, before looms were designed, who invoke a "civilization" spell upon the raw plant material. I haven't considered leather much until I've started thinking about the winters, but it is clearly the more accessible resource compared to cloth, the production would be easier, and the demand for leather straps is high. I guess magic could be an answer for clothes of your dragon people, but that can prove quite difficult to handle and define well.

On the helping to put clothes on problem, might not be a problem, maybe it's just a bruh moment social thing. Kvaksa warriors strap their weapons to their backs, and this also has to be done with help of a fellow, but outside combat it's just much more effective to have both hands free, so no one thinks about it too much. It all really depends on what role does the clothing have, is it covering, cold, status, ritual, pure aesthetic? There's a lot of think about, and I'm sure you can come up with something interesting.

But I made real life test for you

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12310 on: December 22, 2021, 10:50:55 am »

I'm not sure about the frill either, which looks stolen from Spyro, but I've always thought dragon heads looked too bare without something like that.

Ooh ooh, how about a mane? It's already got horns—those are made of keratin too, yes?
...unless they're really tusks, narwhal-style? Or antlers?

aaa is precious

aaaa

Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12311 on: December 22, 2021, 10:58:49 am »

That's an excellent sock dragon and got a chuckle out of me.

As for whether the dragons would need or wear them in the first place... that's a good question.  Scales would offer more protection than our own skin, but they might find more use for clothes for warmth than us.  I assumed they were more endothermic than most reptiles but not as much as mammals.  Would clothes be particularly useful for that?  Would they be a hindrance, since reptiles also have to deal with overheating too?  I'm not really sure.

Fashion, self expression and status certainly would matter, but commoners may not bother with clothes.  I'll ponder that.

Armor is another important matter, since the underpinning of the setting was a fight against a zombie dragon apocalypse and they'd definitely use armor.  Wings are impossible to armor, but the rest would probably be possible with some effort.

Quote from: Superdorf
Ooh ooh, how about a mane? It's already got horns—those are made of keratin too, yes?
...unless they're really tusks, narwhal-style? Or antlers?

Funnily enough, at one point I considered antlers and even hooves (hind legs only maybe), but decided against both for a few reasons.  Hair also feels a little too mammalian, even if it could just as easily be thicker keratin rods or strands that look a bit like hair.  I also considered feathers, for a look between birds and reptiles, but wasn't fully sold on that either.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12312 on: December 22, 2021, 02:04:01 pm »

Ooooh, the clothing problem. I've spent a ton of time mulling over this, for a lot of different species with different bodyplans.

Oftentimes its not only a matter of how to make the clothes work on a particular body, but also what are the species specific requirements for that clothing, and also what effects the solutions to the particular problems have on the rest of their society.

yay a chance to talk about Elysian clothing.
Elysians for example, cannot wear anything resembling pants due to the patagium getting in the way, so this is probably relevant to you Telgin. While they don't really need or want to wear clothing, Elysians live in universes that they usually co-inhabit with species that often are offended by nudity, such as humans, so they have to wear something. The obvious solution is a cloak and indeed that is the most common form of Elysian clothing. However, most want or need to keep their marsupium(pouch) exposed, so the cloaks are kept open at the front, or have a cutout around there. The second problem is that of carrying stuff around; Elysians also cannot wear backpacks or any other bag with straps, without hampering their ability to glide. Thus the solution? Development of ropes and netting, allowing stuff to be tied to a net worn over the cloak. This resulted in Elysians having an overall fondness for nets and net work, with many of their more advanced clothing pieces incorporating nets into their construction and also nets featuring prominently in their dwellings.

Here's a very basic render of what a clothed Elysian typically looks like, with an ultra-simple cloak and basic net. (literally made this in 30 mins. Six hours. an entire day.)
The net is worn loose, though it's heavy enough to keep the cloak pinned down.

There are still alot of model improvements to do, though.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 02:07:25 pm by Strik3r »
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12313 on: December 22, 2021, 02:47:08 pm »

Ohoho, a gliding race, now that's something! I like the net idea, it makes sense and looks super cool. Unique scenarios, unique solutions, very nice and interesting!

Also Superdorf, if you go aaa at a frog in a bag, now imagine a mother carrying one on her back with a cluster of freshly metamorphosed kids  :P I probably need to draw this now, don't I...

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12314 on: December 22, 2021, 03:54:09 pm »

Hmmm, yes... Civilizations of frogs, dragons and Elysians are always very very appealing to me! Also, the dragons in question are particularly nice!

So to take part to the discussion, I may have found part of an answer to explain how an amphibian or a reptile could heat itself.

Read that, you will see cuteness:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/2074982-first-warm-blooded-lizards-switch-on-mystery-heat-source-at-will/

Furthermore, I think that making armors for dragons is entirely feasible, and much inspiration can probably be found for it by browsing at pictures of horse barding.

As concerns the frogs in fur bags, even if they are singularly amusing to look at, I sincerely doubt of their practicability, because they are extremely tight and dragging inside them would probably prove exceedingly difficult! I must concede though that riding a hound while huddling into them would certainly provide tremendous fun, but how would the frog control the hound, how could it possibly mount the hound, and whithout more space or holes for the limbs, how would it seriously manage to go on a hunt, especially if weapons are to be used!

To remediate to the problem (and not reducing the bagged frog to the state of a mere pollywog :P), why not just strapping several sheets of fur on the hound? Then the frog could comfortably install itself between them and the warm back of the hound, wich is already covered of fur and would provide a direct source of heating! It would in addition open the possibility of wearing at the same time fur clothes allowing far easier movement.

Ohoho, a gliding race, now that's something!

I obviously couldn't say otherwise!

And to dress the Elysians with cloaks and nets appear absolutely perfect to me! I think that can adapt wonderfully to their forest habitat.

Now we are all excitedly awaiting for the new tadpole bag!
Pages: 1 ... 819 820 [821] 822 823 ... 845