Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1260534 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #12315 on: December 22, 2021, 10:22:21 pm »

This is all a good discussion and has given me some food for thought.  After some pondering, it seems like the most sensible place to start for most horizontal creatures is something like a caparison, which would almost work for dragons if you cut out slits for the wings.  It would be... ineffective for modesty if they were flying though, if they care about that.  Still not sure.

I'm also envisioning something like the cloak you've demonstrated here.  Something with a hole for the head that they could cinch around the body near their hips would also work in a way.

I need to try doodling a few designs and see if anything works out.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12316 on: December 23, 2021, 09:32:24 am »

it seems like the most sensible place to start for most horizontal creatures is something like a caparison

As all horses worthy of the mane should know, the caparison is the most splendid garment in the known Universe. So I am sure they wholeheartedly agree.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12317 on: December 23, 2021, 04:18:37 pm »

A quick concept involves a somewhat complex cut of garment that they drape over their back and then tie off or button on the sides and around the abdomen.  The rear section could just drape over the tail and hindquarters, and I guess that if they care about modesty they might just wear something like a tied loin cloth underneath it.

The pictured example would obviously be higher class since he has jewelry, but I figured I might as well draw some of that to get an idea of what they might wear.  I wanted to give him a cloth choker too, but uh oh, his frill's in the way.  Guess they wouldn't have those.  Poorer dragons probably wouldn't bother with sleeves or the socks either, but I imagine any could afford the main garment if made out of coarse materials.  Not really sure what to call it so I'll probably just stick with the term robes.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: December 24, 2021, 09:44:28 am »

looks good. I like that there's buttons on the sides so that one doesn't have to try to (somehow) get the thing over the wings, which is probably impossible anyway. Of course for button placement, one has to take into account how the limbs move to make it as easy to put on or take off as possible.

I wanted to give him a cloth choker too, but uh oh, his frill's in the way.

Why not instead something like this?

(I just wanted an excuse to model and render a torc.)
A torc, essentially just worn backwards? Twisted helical design, Made out of silver. now that'd be a real status symbol in a world where silver is scarce.
here's how that might look like on this guy:

(in hindsight looking at it, i think i made the lines too heavy during rendering. ah well.)

I guess that if they care about modesty
Do they? Do they even have anything to see down there, being reptiles? Does seeing eachother's bare undersides have any significance to them? And also, how frequently are they going to end up on their backs?

Also, as a silly aside, the one thing about the ref that is bugging me to no end, is how insanely large his head is. :P If it were up to me, i'd probably do something more like this, make the head a bit smaller and make the neck look slightly thicker and more reptilian:
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12319 on: December 24, 2021, 01:46:37 pm »

I agree the torc looks good, and I've always wondered how flexible they would need to be to put around the neck like that.  I assume silver is pretty soft so it's probably not a problem.  I know these existed in real life, after all.

Regarding the head size... that was somewhat deliberate.  Typically, when you shrink a human character down for stylistic reasons you keep the head disproportionately large, and I was going for a similar effect since they're only about a meter tall.  However, looking back at the reference I can see that the skull area is larger than the accompanying human's, so it's probably too big overall no matter what.  This is something I can trace back to bad habits I learned while learning to draw 20 years ago that have been difficult to excise.  In any case, I do think that the edit looks better and I think the neck design is a bit better too.

Quote from: Strik3r
looks good. I like that there's buttons on the sides so that one doesn't have to try to (somehow) get the thing over the wings, which is probably impossible anyway. Of course for button placement, one has to take into account how the limbs move to make it as easy to put on or take off as possible.

I was assuming that they had enough flexibility to reach around to their sides, possibly using the opposite foreleg.  Reptiles seem to have a bit more range of motion in their forelegs than a lot of quadrupedal mammals, owing to the fact that they typically have a more splayed posture, but I went for a more mammalian leg design here so it's probably not strictly realistic for them to be able to reach around like that.  For intelligent and tool using creatures the flexibility is important though, so I'll live with a bit of a stretch in reality here.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #12320 on: December 24, 2021, 10:38:03 pm »

Finished the last page of EP2

Full episode available to download(cbr file) or to be Read online (reddit post).

Im so super tired, also merry whatever you're celebrating o/

Edit bonus birthday gift

Edit 2 More stuff

Considering coming back to Mong Kima, as I'm starting to miss my little people.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 07:25:00 am by Cathar »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12321 on: December 31, 2021, 03:06:10 am »

Mong Kimaaaa
I'd love to see more Mong Kima updates, but the samurai comic has been sweet too!
(I love the light on that guy's face in panel 2)
Spoiler: also (click to show/hide)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: January 03, 2022, 11:48:27 am »

- Snip - (like happened to Patroclus)

*clapping*

Love it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12323 on: January 03, 2022, 09:04:28 pm »

Glad to hear it :)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12324 on: January 04, 2022, 02:27:43 am »

I feel like Tuna man could be a superhero with......      tuna powers.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12325 on: January 04, 2022, 05:35:04 am »

Oh yeah Mong Kima

Also very nice work on Superdorf's side. You are hereby forgiven for the tuna, if you ship one to me at once

I hadn't finished much pictures, but might as well post some progress.

Spoiler: Unfinished stuff (click to show/hide)

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12326 on: January 04, 2022, 06:00:53 am »

Ooh pixel art? Cool! Man, you do a lot of different stuff. Drawing, Worldbuilding, Conlanging, 3D, pixel art and a whole bunch of other stuff. Is there anything you don't do? Does God really bestow such talent on people? Might have to start believeing at this rate, heh.

Though, i will point out there seems to be some slight pillow shading going on there in the pixel art.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: January 04, 2022, 06:29:07 am »

Though, i will point out there seems to be some slight pillow shading going on there in the pixel art.

Quite possible, I don't like large areas having a single color, so some shades probably don't make sense. The good thing is, while these are really quick to make, I also notice the imperfections more often and perfect them over a couple of days. Not to mention, while I'm not completely new to this, I've been doing some DF sprites, in this larger scale I think of the pictures how I would draw them on paper, so that might be not suitable for pixelart.

Is there anything you don't do? Does God really bestow such talent on people?

Yes there is, and I'm not talented. All of what I do I've been perfecting for a long, long time, it's pure practice. And believe me, nothing I do is very useful, not enough to get me daily bread. The reason I'm still doing these is it brings joy to me and you guys too. As long as that's the case, I'll happily continue.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: January 04, 2022, 08:54:05 am »

Ohhh, conlang. Hadn't seen that. What are your grammar rules?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: January 04, 2022, 10:26:13 am »

What are your grammar rules?

Oh boy  :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 11:20:29 am by Quaksna »
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 845