Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1256930 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #9750 on: August 10, 2018, 04:04:18 pm »

Until some chick stares you right in the eyes telling you you're a rapist after you told a dick joke, you haven't seen the bottom of human stupidity. Just thinking about that makes me realize how cool you guys are, keep being awesome.

Also nice faces ! Also I dig your action pose a lot, can't wait to see that happening in sequential art. Don't forget to work on your comicu !

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: August 10, 2018, 04:07:48 pm »

Until some chick stares you right in the eyes telling you you're a rapist after you told a dick joke, you haven't seen the bottom of human stupidity. Just thinking about that makes me realize how cool you guys are, keep being awesome.

Your current avatar is a suitable analog of my reaction to your anecdote.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: August 10, 2018, 05:00:38 pm »

Also nice faces ! Also I dig your action pose a lot, can't wait to see that happening in sequential art. Don't forget to work on your comicu !

Thank's dude, I will yes, work continues in some form--as always.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: August 11, 2018, 11:59:17 am »

I read that as: "Until Jack Chick stares you right in the eyes telling you you're a rapist after you told a dick joke, you haven't seen the bottom of human stupidity."
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9754 on: August 11, 2018, 12:44:43 pm »

It is kind of a lazy joke so I could have just ignored it or accepted it as a part of the character, but it doesn't help that you decided to call attention to it and then provide some uncomfortable context.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9755 on: August 11, 2018, 01:01:37 pm »

I'm very proud of my red letter mind you. Also the problem in trolling stupid people is they don't pick up subtle clues. Smart people are easier to anger because they have an understanding of what's going on, but they also are not the kind of people I'm aiming at.

Think about that joke as a practical joke. The punchline is not "dick", the punchline is the real life people getting thrown into a frenzy because of it

Talking about that, that page is done

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:08:57 pm by Cathar »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: August 11, 2018, 04:30:27 pm »

Question for comic-y artists out here: Do you guys draw the characters or the environments first?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9757 on: August 11, 2018, 04:42:30 pm »

It totally depends on your method. What I usually do is :

1°) Draw the 3D grid
2°) Draw basic shapes of both environment and characters (they are part of the same picture and need to be thought as such)
3°) Refine each character individually
4°) Refine the environment

That is unless I want to rush things, in that case I make no distinction between characters and environment and just draw it as a single unit

Edit : Have a page in its earliest sharable WIP state, if it can help
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:55:18 pm by Cathar »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9758 on: August 12, 2018, 05:06:31 am »

I've noticed that your WIPs often have figures blocked in in grey and black. How does that help?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9759 on: August 12, 2018, 05:41:25 am »

I've noticed that your WIPs often have figures blocked in in grey and black. How does that help?
That's a method of constructing figures and also of constructing scenes. It's very useful to figure out the boundaries of a subject before you start doing details otherwise you're quite likely to make mistakes like realizing you haven't given yourself enough space to show limbs or clothing elements that you want in the scene.

It's even more important when you're working with traditional media to plan effectively. Frequently when I'm sketching I find myself running out of room if I start with the torso and oops, I don't have enough space and now the head is cut off by the edge of my paper...

---

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9760 on: August 12, 2018, 09:01:47 am »

Yes, basically this. As far as I know, a page is basically a single, huge, complex drawing, as opposed to a collection of single unrelated pannel, and has to be planned as a whole.
Because I want it to look sharper, my characters are drawn on a larger canvas, then resized to fit their pannel, but to maintain the cohesion of the page, every single character has to be placed roughly on the board before I can go on refining them.

If it makes sense ?

I have friends that go further than that and plan their whole comics like that, before they do any inking. But I tried this method, and I realized it made me feel discouraged and the experience was not enjoyable (my brain usually runs wild as I draw, I get new ideas all the time, and I prefer to draw in a way that allow me to express that). That said, some artists do want more or less planning, so whats important is finding the balance that works best for you.

Also nice to see more of your art, Parsely. Not sure who is hunting who in that picture tho :D
Are you going to ink it?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9761 on: August 12, 2018, 01:32:47 pm »

Also nice to see more of your art, Parsely. Not sure who is hunting who in that picture tho :D
Are you going to ink it?
I don't get a lot of comments on my stuff so I appreciate this, thank you! I don't really like inking on paper, if I had a scanner and non-photo blue pencils I might do that though.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #9762 on: August 13, 2018, 01:38:28 am »

Greyscale blocking is also used to lay out values for composition, which I'd say is actually its most important use.

Spoiler: Catcher (click to show/hide)

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9763 on: August 13, 2018, 04:44:24 am »

And that's done

Next page coming along :

Edit : And now for something completely unrelated

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:08:26 am by Cathar »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9764 on: August 15, 2018, 08:55:31 am »

On your finished page, first panel: "Is this Asuciro castle?"

In the last panel, 'let' is not a comfortable fit to condense this concept of "We don't [have a policy that would] expect / force / permit travelers to remain in the wild after sunset." I think the most natural solution here is to use a positive verb: "Of course we will shelter travelers from the wild after sunset." (The 'will' is optional and I think more expressive of an eager / glad attitude: "Of course we shelter travelers" says the same thing but sounds more as if it is fundamentally obvious, a fact taken for granted by the speaker.)

Also auto-correct just changed to a single L in travelers, so there you go.
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 845