Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1239724 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #9855 on: September 14, 2018, 12:57:55 pm »

You're a hard worker Arx, you're getting ahead of yourself a little though.

You need to use reference and practice anatomy more before you can expect a human body drawn from imagination to look well proportioned. Stop practicing bad anatomy and use a reference, I beg you! Your anatomy in your initial sketch could improve a lot, the perspective is also an issue but that can be fixed at the same time as anatomy practice. If you don't mind I'd like to red line this drawing when I have time.

Your brushwork is really quite good and your colors are as well, I can see the ideas that you have and that's what makes me wish you would practice life drawing some more because you have the abilities that would let you benefit strongly from it.

Yes the face is very important, it's usually the first place we look when we're assessing another person. It's also one of the hardest parts of a human to get right because of how important it is.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:59:44 pm by Parsely »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #9856 on: September 14, 2018, 01:55:44 pm »

This is beginning to frustrate me, so I am going to say this once, to both of you, and request that you stop critiquing me when I don't ask for it:

The anatomy is referenced. If you think it is bad, it is because the perspective is (obviously) not particularly well conveyed by the basic silhouette, and I did botch the lighting in a couple of places giving the impression that things are weirdly proportioned.

No, Urist, I will not stop using references when I need them. That would be dumb. I believe I made it fairly clear that when I reference something, I'm not slavishly copying it. Using reference is not a bad thing, and far from slowing me down, it does the opposite. I've tested it.

No, Parsely, I'm not trying to draw from imagination. The perspective is, in fact, fine in principle - I slipped in execution.

The kicker here is that I have one of you telling me to use reference more and one of you telling me I need to use reference less. The only thing that makes me happier than unsolicited critique is when the peanut gallery starts arguing about what's wrong with the painting.

If you don't mind I'd like to red line this drawing when I have time.

Don't.

I realise this may come off as harsh, but when I post an artwork and say I'm not happy with it I get just a little tilted when people jump in with

you're getting ahead of yourself ("go home kid, you can't play with the grown-ups")
Stop practicing bad anatomy ("you're bad. git gud")
It's really important to practice figure w/o reference too y'know ("I know you think you know what you're doing, but you really don't")
I THINK that this is a pretty easy fix--if you just spend some time to A.) draw the armature and B.) define the volume at a unified perspective ("oh, this is easy. Just fix everything I think is wrong and the painting will look good")

especially in the thread that is not for critique. I'd like to be allowed to acknowledge the varying quality of my own work without having people try and ram criticism down my throat in bulk.

There are times when I do want critique. At those times, I ask for it. Right now, I do not want critique. I spend far too much time and emotional energy on work for my relaxing hobby to turn into something I have to dread sharing with the world.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9857 on: September 14, 2018, 02:18:30 pm »

You had three people willing to put time and effort into helping you. Whether or not help was wanted, your response seems disproportionately cool.

They're not tearing you down or insulting you, they are giving constructive advice and you cannot expect them to know that you are so ill disposed towards seeing it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 02:20:49 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #9858 on: September 14, 2018, 02:32:53 pm »

It's generally accepted as standard in the art world that unsolicited critique is impolite. That goes even further when there is a thread for those seeking critique. I've also established why I'm particularly unhappy with the way they've presented their critiques.

I probably am being too harsh, and I apologise, but I am sick and tired of never being able to share art on a non-screaming-into-the-void platform without immediately receiving criticism on a broad spectrum from "really useful" to "destructively incompetent". It's usually the former, here, but it's still dispiriting to only ever receive negative feedback.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #9859 on: September 14, 2018, 03:51:56 pm »

Well, for what it's worth at this point (and i hope i don't come off as condescending to anyone here, that's not my intention), allow me to at least jump in and offer some potential encouragement: The colouring's actually pretty good; unlike some of your earlier stuff, there's definitely hue shifting going on in the shading here. It's really only the eyes that don't quite match up in the head/shoulder region, the rest is on point, and the hat is ridiculously well rendered (dat level of detail on the emblem). Cloth folds also seem to be an ongoing strong point for you, which i kind of envy. :v

I'm going to state some probably extremely obvious things here, but i feel the need to say them, so you may disregard at your leisure: I do believe it's important to not beat around the bush with critiques, but it's also important to give props were due, else it just becomes exhausting for the recipient. Some critics (not pointing fingers here, y'all are fine in my book) take pride in being as scathing and caustic as possible, which i honestly don't have respect for. Direct and fair is good; if a cake tastes great but looks weird, it's not really fair to only highlight how weird it looks, but it should of course be mentioned alongside its great taste.

also i personally appreciate (well intentioned) unsolicited critique but obviously my opinion isn't necessarily shared by others
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9860 on: September 14, 2018, 03:56:23 pm »

Guys sorry to jump in, but Arx is completely right and I share the feeling.

Also, sorry Arx if what I said hurt you. This was not my intention and I totally understand the reaction. You have your shit together, I appreciate to see your stuff in general and I hope to see more soon.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:06:12 pm by Cathar »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9861 on: September 14, 2018, 04:37:10 pm »

???

(@Arx) Bro, not only has your response been "disproportionately cool", you are being the dick.

Let's logic this out. You post a picture:

The response is initially positive.

You say, hey this piece is an "UNMITIGATED DISASTER".

Nobody has said anything like that.

Cathar says don't beat yourself up.

You say thanks, but it's still "not great" and I'm mad because I spent a lot of time on it.

I say work on your figure construction and "you will find that your painting is up to snuff".
*I'm gonna get into your anatomy in a minute

You respond that the face is the main issue, which honestly, other than it being slightly oversized, looks really good.

Parsley jumps in and says okay, but proper anatomy IS important.
*now keep in mind, up until this point, you have not expressed anything other than dissatisfaction with your picture.

You go off, defend your work, and make some strange claims:
--one, the only thing either of us actually suggested was to plot out your anatomy--and we gave examples of where else you were good
--you claim that you are upset, because we offered criticism, BECAUSE YOU WERE UPSET WITH YOUR DRAWING. Why would we NOT try to help you out?
--then you LITERALLY, with a side by side comparison, change our words to fit YOUR narrative.

[end]

And now, let me actually get in to your anatomy. Because truthfully, it seems like it's the MAIN THING holding your art back.

And because you were a dick, let me be explicitly clear: your initial sketch is not good enough.

And let me be even clearer, you are not in any way plotting out your picture (from what I can see). We told you WHY it looks off, and then we told you how to fix it. You're just drawing an outline without critically examining your own proportions, and let me tell you, it's extremely difficult for even veteran artists to just "eyeball" outlines. People spend literal YEARS doing nothing but figure drawing and still can't just draw accurately via outlines. (and guess what, constructing your figures is probably not only easier it will look better.)

My suggested tips were to:
-- construct an armature, i.e. shoulders, hips, spine, limb lines, and a circle for the head.

-- to use shapes to suggest volume to your work before you start painting it (for your own utility)

No one "rammed critique down your throat." It was not harsh and was in-fact presented fairly. And honestly, it wasn't extensive either, again, we LITERALLY just said you should plan out your figure more before painting it.

Listen, I get that this is your hobby, and you are in no means obligated to follow our advice, but we just acted in accordance in how YOU YOURSELF were responding to the art that was posted. As you seemed to be displeased with the result, again, why would we NOT help you? So now you know what a fair, calm, and gentle critique looks like, and a standard one (despite you being a douche, I would still very much like to see you get better--after all, its your hobby, and it sucks to see anyone dismayed at something they're making). If you want a harsh critique, I can give it to you lol. If you are having a bad day or something, I totally get it, but I'm just letting you know, no one is attacking you here, and everything that has been said has been meant literally and as far I can tell seems legitimately constructive.

As far as unsolicited criticism goes, you seemed upset, we offered ways to change things up next time. And again, you seemed PRETTY upset (unmitigated disaster when literally no one said anything). FURTHERMORE, this kinda is the thread for art criticism, people have just always posted art here and people have always discussed it or tried to make it better or help others work on it in a constructive way. The Art Critique thread was created very recently, and honestly, it's not really used for much other than more technical criticism (or my misguided attempts to get input on my portfolio/whacky ideas). This is just where art goes, and wherever art goes, people talk about it. No one is cutting you down to size or insulting you, we're just having a friendly chat. And the fact is this: once your art is out in the world, people talk about it. If you don't want it to be talked about, tell us, or don't post it. Despite what you said earlier, Bay12 is EXACTLY the place where people want to talk about art in depth.

tl;dr:
If you're having a bad day, I sympathize, but no one is attacking you,
you're art is good and you should keep creating things,
and the criticism has been gentle and valid.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9862 on: September 14, 2018, 04:38:22 pm »

guys

seriously

Arx asked nicely.

I mean when an artist says "please do not criticize", it should be the end of it. You will not achieve anything but create a bad mood by refusing to let this die.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:42:37 pm by Cathar »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9863 on: September 14, 2018, 04:40:38 pm »

No. He didn't.

EDIT: @Cathar, that is NOT what happened. He literally didn't say that until way after the fact. And to be fair, we stopped after our initial critiques. The only other thing that was said was by who TH4 who was like ya they're not being dicks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:46:25 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9864 on: September 14, 2018, 04:51:52 pm »

Litterally no one is being a dick.

Also I did those things :

After this page, hell gets lose for 6 pages until the end of the episode

And Donu is still my waifu
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:22:18 pm by Cathar »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #9865 on: September 15, 2018, 04:30:02 am »

I agree that I overreacted, but I still stand on it being generally rude to critique without being asked. Shook is possibly the only artist I've ever met who appreciates it. :P

The quotes were a somewhat poorly judged effort to explain why I reacted so strongly to the way you presented the criticism. It was something of a knee jerk reaction to having a bad day, commenting that the piece wasn't great, and then immediately being hit with "yeah, it sucks." I know the intent was to help, but... yeah. Doesn't feel good.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9866 on: September 15, 2018, 09:54:48 pm »

Sorry Dudeski.

Going forward, you won't get any unsolicited criticism from me!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9867 on: September 16, 2018, 02:04:17 pm »

Trying to draw a robed figure wandering through a misty void with a bunch of doorways leading to different worlds (for a cover image of BoundWorlds related stuff).  Unfortunately I cannot draw at all.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9868 on: September 16, 2018, 08:34:40 pm »

Todays work

Page 43, making progress

Design for my world's kobold. They are knobolds. And I am positive they will appear at some point.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9869 on: September 17, 2018, 08:27:37 am »

So after a bit of a low-morale-induced hiatus, I got myself into 90's anime-ish stuff
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Turns out that colour pencils are actually fun to use. Who'd've thunk it?

Also, Cathar, that ninjartist I said I'd draw is still ongoing, but getting a proper rooftop scene required me to learn more than I care to admit about architecture first ^^
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 845