Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1239909 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #10215 on: January 13, 2019, 06:20:44 am »

I'm not a music expert, but I noticed that it suddenly sounds a lot less "deserty" and went on an Internet journey to figure out why.
It seems that Middle Eastern music has a minor scale relative to Western music.

This raises a whole bunch of interesting questions related to music theory.  Do Easterners percieve "happy" and "sad" music in the same way as Westerners?  Does minor key music sound ominous to Westerners because it resembles Arabic music?  A bit of research suggests that music perception is a lot more subjective than I thought, though the reason for these perceptive idiosyncracies is not well understood.

Of course, using the same melody with different styles is a great way of tying areas of a game together.

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #10216 on: January 13, 2019, 09:25:41 am »

A little pixel art of my World of darkness character.
I make comic things with my avatar for some reason.
No avatar is safe from my editing
\/\/It might be alive? Its been a year >_> 02-Nov-2017\/\/
¤Co-Gm'ing The Fear Master B-Movie ISG¤

Check out my Pixel art!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: January 13, 2019, 12:58:34 pm »

I'm not a music expert, but I noticed that it suddenly sounds a lot less "deserty" and went on an Internet journey to figure out why.
It seems that Middle Eastern music has a minor scale relative to Western music.

This raises a whole bunch of interesting questions related to music theory.  Do Easterners percieve "happy" and "sad" music in the same way as Westerners?  Does minor key music sound ominous to Westerners because it resembles Arabic music?  A bit of research suggests that music perception is a lot more subjective than I thought, though the reason for these perceptive idiosyncracies is not well understood.

Of course, using the same melody with different styles is a great way of tying areas of a game together.

I looked at the link, and yeah, Arabic music often uses (sort of) minor scales, although the scales they use are separate from American minor scales. I guess G sharp minor is just more reminiscent of them than the major scale I used? I don’t suspect that minor key music sounds ominous to listeners because it sounds like Arabic music (mostly because some minor key stuff still sounds ominous and also doesn’t sound Arabic at all), but yeah, music perception is fascinating (try listening to 4’33”, optimally in a concert, and some of the more experimental jazz or industrial).
Either way, it seems like most of the music people associate with deserts is minor key, based on some very brief research. I don’t know about what actual desert cultures played, since it seems like what most people think of as desert music isn’t even close to a complete set of what desert based cultures actually played.
I’m not entirely sure what to do for the town because of this, since I prefer most town music to be a bit more upbeat, especially in the case of this town, which is just generally a pretty cheerful place. Not sure how to handle that alongside the need to make it deserty to the average listener. Any advice?

Yeah, repeating melodies really does bring a soundtrack together (a good example of this is Deltarune’s soundtrack, which uses the same set of a handful of notes in a majority of songs).
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

SigurnFonShnaps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: January 13, 2019, 02:57:40 pm »

The whole day was killed by a young lady, and she never worked out. Instead of her from a digital clay, a man grew up who sarcastically smiles at me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Should have been a picture of this lady.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:(

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10220 on: January 13, 2019, 06:18:25 pm »

Your men are great too ! You should draw more men

Also : update on page 67

I will reach page 100, or die trying.

Also, my first silicon molds finished to curate ! One of them is pitch perfect, the second is...eeeeh. MAYBE workable. Tomorrow I'll try and mold the first soldiers of my fearsome 25mm recycled milk bottle army.

And if it works, the next step is to start making my own models in clay and build myself a custom W40K army for zero euro
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:23:12 pm by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: January 13, 2019, 06:48:58 pm »

I guess I can post stuff here. Been looking to broaden my posting horizons a smidge. These are mostly related to a story I'm working on. I'm no marvel, but eh.

Sometimes you don't get to pick your friends when you were already a friendless jerk. And no amount of vodka can erase the fact DJ's best friend is a guy who wears wizard robes and neon 80s shutter shades.

What's in the glowing metal tube?

Best Girl, of course.

Amas is judging you.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10222 on: January 13, 2019, 07:00:05 pm »

You're actually pretty good and I like the theme of your work a lot

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: January 13, 2019, 07:02:14 pm »

There is a certain unique beauty to a girl holding an automatic weapon, standing next to a sign listing ammo prices with one of the prices crossed out and "out of stock" written over top.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10224 on: January 13, 2019, 07:18:15 pm »

You're actually pretty good and I like the theme of your work a lot

Dunno what you mean by theme, but thank you all the same, I dig your own style as well (even if I mistook a couple guys for ladies in Mong Kima :P)

There is a certain unique beauty to a girl holding an automatic weapon, standing next to a sign listing ammo prices with one of the prices crossed out and "out of stock" written over top.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'll chalk it up as a win regardless.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: January 13, 2019, 07:23:09 pm »

I wouldn't dare be sarcastic to a woman who bought out the whole store's supply of 10mm. :V
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10226 on: January 13, 2019, 07:41:12 pm »

Dunno what you mean by theme, but thank you all the same, I dig your own style as well (even if I mistook a couple guys for ladies in Mong Kima :P)
><

By theme I meant the cyberpunk terrorist theme, gets me intrigued. Don't forget to post the story when we can read it !

And for MK ehm... well. Let's say you're not the only one. To my defense most of the male characters that are not childen usually sport some facial hair... aside Islas, but I think he's manly enough

Edit : Oh, by the way, I won a little contest held by Shabazik, and I'm extremely proud
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 08:03:47 pm by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: January 13, 2019, 08:03:49 pm »

><

By theme I meant the cyberpunk terrorist theme, gets me intrigued. Don't forget to post the story when we can read it !

Believe it or not I intend to make it a visual thing, though I am considering writing as well. Same for this next mess, which hey. There's at least one or two interested parties here, let's share more crap.

This is the "title page," or at least the working concept of it for now. Dunno if the UI thing is a bit much or if I'll have this be the final form the title page takes. The title is a reference to Alpha Centauri, while the actual job description could be summed up as "lives outside normal civilization, and generally unfriendly with law enforcement." Datajacks can be anyone, from anywhere, robbing, murdering, salvaging, and selling thier services as guns for hire for any number of reasons.

And a supporting character destined to be one of that wizard dude's minders, Redwood Medical Institute Administrative Artificial Intelligence 01, known by her future friends as Remi. She ended up the de facto Circle G mascot in Redwood,and is the girl in the damaged advert in the previous post, though with a squishy human body now.

"Would you like the damage to this facility listed alphabetically, by cost, or by severity?"

The title page for a project I'm working on concurrently, Vandringsmen (wanderers, according to multiple sites I went to for the term in Swedish.) The pelt marks our hero in there as a poacher.

This is Sofie Gylling, currently running drills with an off-screen instructor. She's one of the two main characters in Vandringsmen.

And this is a spellcaster, a rarity in Vandringsmen's setting. Her name being Minetha the Magnificent, though you can also call her Minty. She was going to be in a D&D campaign, but a rule dispute flatlined the whole thing before we even got through the first leg of the adventure. Proportions on her are a bit off in the legs, but I'm working on it.

I like to do character pictures like this so I have an idea of what they look like, if it isn't obvious.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10228 on: January 13, 2019, 08:10:44 pm »

I'm fairly certain I saw an illustrated AAR of yours in the community forum, I'm totally reading the hell out of it as soon as I have a bit of time.

You're doing a comic for your next project ? Or another format?
Also huge congrats on your use of perspective on the cover of Datajack

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: January 13, 2019, 08:19:06 pm »

I'm fairly certain I saw an illustrated AAR of yours in the community forum, I'm totally reading the hell out of it as soon as I have a bit of time.
I have no clue what an AAR is.

You're doing a comic for your next project ? Or another format?
I have two projects, which currently are just in a conceptual stage (though Vandringsmen I have two pages for the prologue, such as they are, and monochrome.) Comics by default, though as I said, I'm considering maybe writing them out as regular written work as well.

Vandringsmen is a bastard child of Elder Scrolls and Dwarf Fortress, while Datajack is sort of cyberpunk-apocalyptic feel (due to where the main settings generally are - outside of civilization, primarily in derelict Sites taken over by gangs and nomads.)

Datajack is also essentially a freakishly complicated fanfic by default because of one of the main characters, who actually inspired the whole thing.

Also huge congrats on your use of perspective on the cover of Datajack
Well thank ye.
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 845