Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1256775 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #10260 on: January 21, 2019, 06:59:00 pm »

I started making a game again, and this time I actually really reduced the scope and mapped things out, and as a result I'm actually A.) getting things done and B.) learning to code!

I'm super proud of myself making it this far (as it is the farthest and most complex with programming I've gotten!) and I just wanted to share. In the past, I may have prematurely made a whole thread, but I want to wait till I have at least an alpha product before I go off the deep end this time!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #10261 on: January 22, 2019, 07:26:32 am »

I make comic things with my avatar for some reason.
No avatar is safe from my editing
\/\/It might be alive? Its been a year >_> 02-Nov-2017\/\/
¤Co-Gm'ing The Fear Master B-Movie ISG¤

Check out my Pixel art!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #10262 on: January 22, 2019, 11:00:40 am »

I feel like flame weapons and fur are an unfortunate combination. :V
Nice perspective you've got going on! It looks good overall, but i have to say that i feel like free-hand drawing at pixel scale looks kinda odd. Might just be me though, iunno.

I started making a game again, and this time I actually really reduced the scope and mapped things out, and as a result I'm actually A.) getting things done and B.) learning to code!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm super proud of myself making it this far (as it is the farthest and most complex with programming I've gotten!) and I just wanted to share. In the past, I may have prematurely made a whole thread, but I want to wait till I have at least an alpha product before I go off the deep end this time!
Awesome, good on you m8! Making games is a very worthy endeavour to be spending ones time with, and i'm totally not just saying that because it took me 8 years to finish my own. :V

also since we're on the topic of felines

i'm rubbish at drawing cats lol
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #10263 on: January 22, 2019, 01:39:03 pm »

But i have to say that i feel like free-hand drawing at pixel scale looks kinda odd. Might just be me though, iunno.
So ah. . Like its to big or something?

Check out my Pixel art!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #10264 on: January 22, 2019, 03:41:02 pm »

I think it's mostly that when the pixels are that large/visible, my brain expects to see pixel art that's refined to a per-pixel level (and it's entirely possible that it's just me being a persnickety bastard). If you're already doing that, apologies for being a cunt about it. I'll gladly provide more detailed nitpicking if you want, but it's come to my attention that that's not necessarily appreciated by definition. Weird to me, but such is life. :V
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10265 on: January 22, 2019, 04:33:31 pm »

Part of the reason it looks strange is because he used a mixture of anti-aliased and non-anti-aliased ("pencil tool") brushes. Everything in the foreground is drawn with the pencil tool and not softened with AA, which would have to be done by hand, so it creates a jarring separation from the background which is more soft and blurry because of the AA.

If Lemons or anyone else is interested in what I would call traditional pixel art techniques I recommend studying this tutorial: http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

Lemons I feel is someone who is having fun with what they're doing so I don't like to complain too much about his style. It's actually doing something pretty cool, that is flat characters in a scene with strong perspective:
Just some art of some characters I met in-game and had a fun round with. Just chilled in cargo while everyone was getting eaten by spiders. Good times.

The only thing I think I'd like to see is a more careful use of color.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 04:35:31 pm by Parsely »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #10266 on: January 22, 2019, 08:05:28 pm »

Oh yeah, i should probably clarify that it's NEVER my intention to discourage people from drawing the way they want to and have fun with, in fact i'm generally hoping to do the opposite of that. Mostly my reasoning behind my comments is the golden rule: Do unto others as you would have them do to you. I love to hear what thoughts people have about my doodlings, be they positive or negative or somewhere in between, so i make my thoughts more readily available for others.
Unfortunately, my thoughts often lean in a somewhat critical direction (out of a desire to help people improve their craft, mind you), so i kinda have to rein it in when i'm not sure if the recipient will appreciate it. :V
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #10267 on: January 22, 2019, 11:27:21 pm »

I appreciate you guys taking the time to write your thoughts on my stuff. And I am willing to take your critique so that I may get better so feel free, tho I will probably have none to return on your own stuff for I have no idea what I'm doing. If you guys remember what I mostly did on the forums is images mostly involving Photoshop edits or just little drawing with my avatar this is the first time I'm actually trying anything big. So it never occurred to me that some people might find that style jarring I guess its not for everyone.

Ah so time to share something that I've never really brought up. So i'm colour blind. Red-Green colour blind (deuteranomaly). And this severely impacts my colour making chooses you could almost say I have no colour sense at all because growing up, picking and choosing colour was such a hassle that I never really developed a skill for it. While I may see some just fine not being able to see others just makes it something I never tried with (Not sure if that makes sense but its the best I can describe it.)) So yer haha here I am trying to make art. Funny isn't it?

So to me colour chose is a mechanical thing in everything I make I always have a colour pallet that I know(think) has the right colours in it or I have a ref image that I take the colour straight off. Tho I wish to get better at it, its just something that will never come to me as easy as it is for normal people. I just see the world differently I guess.

But I'd love to hear your thoughts on my colour chose in that image. Just keep in mind I may have no idea what your going on about haha.

Anyway thanks guys. oof that was a lot of writing :p

Check out my Pixel art!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10268 on: January 23, 2019, 10:08:34 am »

You're doing pretty good, then, IMO. Of course, I can't say how it feels for you. :P

Spoiler: Genevieve Fray (click to show/hide)

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10269 on: January 23, 2019, 10:34:09 am »

I appreciate you guys taking the time to write your thoughts on my stuff. And I am willing to take your critique so that I may get better so feel free, tho I will probably have none to return on your own stuff for I have no idea what I'm doing. If you guys remember what I mostly did on the forums is images mostly involving Photoshop edits or just little drawing with my avatar this is the first time I'm actually trying anything big. So it never occurred to me that some people might find that style jarring I guess its not for everyone.

Ah so time to share something that I've never really brought up. So i'm colour blind. Red-Green colour blind (deuteranomaly). And this severely impacts my colour making chooses you could almost say I have no colour sense at all because growing up, picking and choosing colour was such a hassle that I never really developed a skill for it. While I may see some just fine not being able to see others just makes it something I never tried with (Not sure if that makes sense but its the best I can describe it.)) So yer haha here I am trying to make art. Funny isn't it?

So to me colour chose is a mechanical thing in everything I make I always have a colour pallet that I know(think) has the right colours in it or I have a ref image that I take the colour straight off. Tho I wish to get better at it, its just something that will never come to me as easy as it is for normal people. I just see the world differently I guess.

But I'd love to hear your thoughts on my colour chose in that image. Just keep in mind I may have no idea what your going on about haha.

Anyway thanks guys. oof that was a lot of writing :p
Jarring isn't necessarily bad. I think that quality gives your art a lot of character.

Your choices of colors don't have anything to do with your color blindness, the mistakes I'm seeing you make are exact same ones that amateur artists who aren't color blind make, like overusing black and grey. Borrowing color palettes from other images that look nice to you is super normal, I do that all the time! Plenty of artists who aren't color blind have the exact same problems to overcome as you when it comes to learning how to use colors mechanically before it becomes intuitive, in fact that's how all people are with all art skills, no one is born knowing color theory or how to use a pencil or brush. Before I was decent at building my own palettes I would use palette generators, I still borrow palettes from other people and tweak them but lately I make all my own colors because it's just as fun.

Are you on Discord? I can help you with colors in real time and try to explain some concepts to you. We can mess with some color palettes together! I can even simulate your color blindness, this way I bet we can find a method for picking colors that works for you.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:42:34 am by Parsely »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: January 23, 2019, 05:59:16 pm »

Made a throne, though it's not really one you'd want to sit on.

And with textures.

Osmium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: January 24, 2019, 09:04:39 am »

Hella inspiring thread. Makes me wish I never stopped arting/want to start again. Posting to watch in the hopes that It cranks my drive up to 110% and forces me to start practicing 4real. You're all amazing.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: January 24, 2019, 10:39:18 am »

Two faces I did!
Okay, "I did" is not quite true. I used an artist's drawings as inspiration and copied their stylistic choices. I found it interesting and educational, though, so all good :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: January 24, 2019, 07:33:51 pm »

Is it alright if I ask in here for someone to whip up a quick 'n' easy image edit for me? Normally it would be within even my abilities (heck, you could easily just use Paint), but my computer is currently out of action.
I haven't looked into any mobile image editing apps and I can only imagine they'd be highly fiddly on my smartphone, so I'm asking here instead.

I'm not about to pay someone for this (if nobody's keen I guess I'll have to go in search of useful apps) but I would totally shout ya a beer for being a legend. Also included would be my humblest thanks, and of course feel free to reuse his hilarious idea (without my name attached, of course). You could even make it a template with the name and profile pic left blank!!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: January 24, 2019, 08:21:56 pm »

PTW
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 845