Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

- 0 (0%)

- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 01, 2012, 06:12:51 am

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Dio e Popolo! (Ch. VII)  (Read 60634 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations

Table of Contents:

Act II - Dio e Popolo!

Chapter VI - Conclavis! or The Revolution Unwinds
Cardinal Micelus in Jerusalem
Cardinal Hunt Scorns Pretenses
The Plotting of a Statesman
Cardinal Cicero Appeals to the College
A Minor Cardinal Stands to Speak
The First Votes
A Mob Forms Before the Vatican
Cardinal Barbarossa Speaks to Rome
Cardinal Micelus Declines the Papacy
Cardinal Roberto Addresses the College
The Final Votes
Cardinal Euchre Questions Barbarossa
Senator Zrk2 Starts a Riot
Consul Cicero Renounces the Church
Senator Zrk2 Storms the Vatican
Cardinal Neo Ponders the Circumstances
His Holiness Chooses a Name
The Pope is Announced
Sheb Assembles His Squad
Urbi et Orbi

Chapter VII.  Freedoms and Tyrannies

Spoiler: Cast of Characters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Missions (click to show/hide)

I extend sincere thanks to the Cast and to everyone reading.  Thank you!

Greetings, Bay 12!  Help me remake history with Paradox Interactive's Victoria 2, a game that puts you in control of a nation-state for the hundred years after 1836, a most industrious and calamitous time for the world.

I'll be using my WIP mod called Origin of Nations, which aims to add historical accuracy to the game map by adding new cultures, countries and decisions to the game, particularly in regard to Africa and the Americas.  There are very few changes to vanilla mechanics outside of unit requirements and Westernization criteria (the latter is now based on technology rather than luck).  Colonization mechanics play far less of a role, and CBs and Infamy are a little different too, but it's mostly vanilla V2 with extra stuff, so the general vibe of the game will remain intact.  Enough countries were added to hit some kind of hard-coded limit that makes the game crash if I add even one more nation, so I'll need to get creative to implement the Russian republics.

The world map at the start is quite close to the actual state of the world in 1836, as far as I could manage so far, minus a few real-life OPM nations like San Marino or Andorra (there's country data for Andorra, but no province yet).  Most great powers can release a ton of nations and nationalist rebels have a much greater chance of spawning, so it won't be unreasonable to expect the Republic of South Dakota or the United Celtic States at some point.

Anyhow, I've selected a few countries I haven't played/finished a game with yet and would be willing to give a go.  There's a few civilized nations and a few more uncivilized nations; the uncivilized nations will have a much harder time getting anywhere and will likely prove a "survive against the odds" sort of game, whereas a civilized nation will ascend more easily to power and prosperity.  I will be narrating the turns in-character as whatever ruler we're working with, and you, friendly reader, will be a member of my cabinet, to provide advice, suggestions and requests over the course of our rise to greatness, and the first thing I'd like to ask is what nation to play.

Without further ado, here are the candidates:

Spoiler: Baguirmi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bukkhara (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Herero (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Morocco (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nejd (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Papal States (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sulu (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Switzerland (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The USA (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rapa Nui (click to show/hide)

If there's someone else you'd like to suggest, please do!  Just about any nation-state around in 1836 is good to go.  I'll begin sometime tomorrow night, for now I'm off to start a practice game to warm up for a bit, it's been a while since I played V2.

On to Victory!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:33:16 pm by SethCreiyd »

NotAQuisling

• Bay Watcher
  • Openly Fey
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Victoria 2: Origin of Nations! - Help choose our nation!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:36:25 am »

Papal states are the best  states!
Download complete in 15 Days and 7 Hours

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 01:42:30 am »

Yeah, as hilarious as picking Rapa Nui would be, I'd rather pick the Papa Nui.

Another vote for the Papal States.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:55:26 am »

Najd seems pretty cool, but the Papal States would probably get the most action.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:00:48 am »

Papal States.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:10:13 am »

Your stated goals for the Papal State seem interesting. I assume you're not vying for total world conquest? They tend to get a bit tedious towards the end.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 02:37:00 am »

Re-creating the Roman Empire?! Go, Papal States! Ahoy!
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 05:56:35 am »

Aw, I would have liked Sulu. Wresting control of the East Indies sounds cool, and after that we could have a long, bloody, apocalyptic war with the Chinese hordes.

Still, Papal States sounds okay. Deus Vult and all that.

Ahoy!

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 11:13:50 am »

FOR TEH EMPARAH.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 02:38:11 pm »

I consider the motion for Papal playing passed. It is quite probably that having passed the playing of the papal states the presumptions of the pope and his priests shall prove profoundly preposterous and quite prophetically profitable.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 03:50:16 pm »

I'm going to go against the grain and say that the Papal States are a boring and vanilla state that everyone plays if they want to do something quirky.

Therefore, I vote for the underplayed and interesting Baguirmi Sultanate, and also suggest that you attempt the unusual task of ending the game with slavery still legal in your (hopefully) giant dystopian empire, because no one ever does that either.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:52:11 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 06:32:45 pm »

Rapa Nui because I want to see you suffer for no real reason other then my small, cruel, black heart.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 06:54:35 pm »

Also, Seth, will you tell us about/make a thread for/show us screenshots of your mod? It looks very complex and I want to know more about it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 03:35:08 am »

Rapa Nui because I want to see you suffer for no real reason other then my small, cruel, black heart.

+1  ;D

Although I'll change my vote to Papal States if you make me a cardinal in-game (or just in-LP).

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 04:29:27 am »

God wills it.  The College of Cardinals have spoken.  We are to be the Papal States of Rome!

+1  ;D

Although I'll change my vote to Papal States if you make me a cardinal in-game (or just in-LP).

Reasonable enough - is it Cardinal EuchreJack, or is Cardinal Jack preferable?

Najd seems pretty cool, but the Papal States would probably get the most action.

I was thinking the US would see the most warfare since infamy would be no concern.  A determined America can take massive loans and just rampage west, subjugate Mexico, annex Texas and conquer Central America before Great Britain has Ironclads.

We'll do plenty of fighting with the armies of Rome, but we'll need to be diplomatic for a time.

Your stated goals for the Papal State seem interesting. I assume you're not vying for total world conquest? They tend to get a bit tedious towards the end.

A WC isn't out of the question, depending on how things go, of course.  Iberia and Gaul will have to end up as Papal territory if we are to truly inherit Rome's legacy.  Whatever happens, I'll try to keep things interesting throughout.

Aw, I would have liked Sulu. Wresting control of the East Indies sounds cool, and after that we could have a long, bloody, apocalyptic war with the Chinese hordes.

Still, Papal States sounds okay. Deus Vult and all that.

Ahoy!

I wouldn't mind a game of Sulu either.  I think it could make for a fun succession game with enough players.

FOR TEH EMPARAH.

By the end of the game, I expect the Pope-Emperor's troops to be as good at their jobs as the Sardaukar.

I consider the motion for Papal playing passed. It is quite probably that having passed the playing of the papal states the presumptions of the pope and his priests shall prove profoundly preposterous and quite prophetically profitable.

Profoundly precise a prediction, that pronouncement, if proof of presumption on your part.  The Papacy proclaims your ponderous, pertinacious pontification painfully parsimonious though persuasive for its perfunctory, pellucid perfidiousness.  Pray, practice, perfect and perchance promote your pensive postulations to a more perspicacious position and present them perspicuously to the Pope in person posthaste.   :P

Tell you what, someday I'll play Rapa Nui for an hour and document it here just for the chance to narrate the misery.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that the Papal States are a boring and vanilla state that everyone plays if they want to do something quirky.

Therefore, I vote for the underplayed and interesting Baguirmi Sultanate, and also suggest that you attempt the unusual task of ending the game with slavery still legal in your (hopefully) giant dystopian empire, because no one ever does that either.

Also, Seth, will you tell us about/make a thread for/show us screenshots of your mod? It looks very complex and I want to know more about it.

heh, I did have a similar thought about the good old States.  I'm happy to tell you whatever you'd like to know.  I enjoy Victoria a great deal but felt the need to add more.  The potential for history to unfold in even weirder manners from the same start, or just the potential to unfold in a way as it actually did.  I started out making a Welsh culture and flag and then added the country to the game, then I did Cornwall, the Isle of Man, Brittany, the 50 states of America... I kept going until I hit the hard coded limit, then I took some time off to think.

It's taken a while.  It's mostly extra nations with some new rebel types, tweaks to production for a functional economy to meet the extra nations' needs, and some changes to general game rules.  Infamy works differently too, and I think that's just about balanced now.  There's new cultures, names, general traits, governments, some national unification, historical and hypothetical, and all the text is localized to French, German and Spanish.  I'm pretty sure it's stable in its current form but I haven't finished a game with it yet, so if there are any late-game surprises they'll have to be dealt with.

I've actually played the Papal States before, in vanilla.  That was a straightforward Italian unification game though, I'm striving for something a bit different here.  If this LP is successful I'd certainly like giving Baguirmi's pan-African empire a try.  I'll post many screenshots to chronicle the rise of the Papal States.  I'm not running any other mods so any changes from vanilla V2 are from Origin of Nations.

To glory!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12