Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Boiling Cook book challenge - A relic of insane world gen [fixed sadly]  (Read 19803 times)

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Boiling Cook book challenge
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 05:12:06 pm »

What this guy said. ^

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 06:35:42 pm »

Spoiler: Pluto (click to show/hide)

Added pluto, testing Earthmurdered to see if it's sufficiently mad :P

Glad to see people defeating Sol. This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.

Watwar5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2012, 08:59:48 pm »

This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.
I think I have to sig this.
This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 09:12:17 pm »

One of the things I've learned from this challenge, is the strategic value of nakedness. I hypothesis that dwarves would be more magma-safe if they are naked. It seems that burning clothes is a death sentence to a dwarf, while merely getting burnt is sometimes survivable. This would seem to have applications for "magmanauts" and extremely dangerous extreme sports such as magma diving, along with everyday dangerous activities such as tapping magma pipes/seas.

I seem to recall one dwarf in one of the great succession games wading through magma in admantine armor and surviving unscathed....so maybe some !!SCIENCE!! is in order:

Take two groups of 5 dwarves, with roughly the same stats across the group. In each group: One is enjoying naked time, one is wearing normal clothing, one is wearing armor (preferably adamantine) and the same clothing as the clothing dwarf, and one is wearing full armor of the same sort as the clothing+armor dwarf, but is naked underneath (that's gotta be uncomfortable, but the chafing will be the least of his/her worries), and one is wearing adamantine fabric clothes of the same TYPE as the ones being worn by the clothing and clothing+armor dwarves. Then dunk the first group into lava, and leave them there, seeing  who is injured the fastest, and what order they die in (and see if you can drain the lava out afterwards and recover the admantine). Then send the second group to the surface of Sol. See who is injured first, exactly HOW they are hurt,what order they die in, and who leaves the biggest cloud of red mist when their boiling blood causes them to explode. Bonus points if you see whose exploding body parts go the furthest.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:14:59 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2012, 09:28:09 pm »

One of the things I've learned from this challenge, is the strategic value of nakedness. I hypothesis that dwarves would be more magma-safe if they are naked. It seems that burning clothes is a death sentence to a dwarf, while merely getting burnt is sometimes survivable. This would seem to have applications for "magmanauts" and extremely dangerous extreme sports such as magma diving, along with everyday dangerous activities such as tapping magma pipes/seas.

I used the arena to test this. Dwarves standing in 1/7 magma died at identical times regardless of the clothing they were wearing. I also know from playing adventurer mode that the code for clothing and temperature must have been changed since 40d because I can't set my pants on fire and throw them into the mead hall anymore.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2012, 09:43:59 pm »

I think I have to sig this.

He he, thanks :P

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 07:50:28 pm »

Please, please, please, please make these files .ZIP types!!! I can't download .RAR files, and the tool I have to do it (7zip portable) doesn't do a goddamn thing.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 08:05:27 pm »

I know. It makes me sad too...

Vic Romano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 08:13:17 pm »

What I have gathered from this is that if you are going to swim in magma, you had better be completely naked.  Life lesson learned.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2012, 09:54:23 pm »

Now you need to conquer HFS... just make sure they go outside first  8)
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2012, 10:21:18 pm »

Now you need to conquer HFS... just make sure they go outside first  8)

Or make hell freeze over, if that's possible.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2012, 10:48:45 pm »

if you're lucky with a spire you might be able to get one tile to register as 'above ground,' but it would be a snowball's chance in hell of working just to get on ice wall in hell.

also, Earthmurdered is not that extreme, by mid-summer the magma has stopped expanding mostly, leaving the top and bottom right corners un-touched. The much-feared second z-level of magma comes close but does not seem as though it will reach the wagon's spot. So the initial rush, while exciting, is not too critical, taking the challenge right out of the embark. Though the lack of any possibility of nobles and therefore a military when combined with giant badgers confined on a shrinking amount of magma-free ground was FUN.

I'm still toying with the constructions required to make an attempt at taking back the surface and the FPS from the magma.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:57:08 pm by Crashmaster »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 12:40:56 am »

Please, please, please, please make these files .ZIP types!!! I can't download .RAR files, and the tool I have to do it (7zip portable) doesn't do a goddamn thing.

He he, I don't have .ZIP (yet anyways), so I'll see what I can do ;P

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 12:53:06 am »

Ooh we could make this into a solar system challenge type thing. Get all the worlds, play on all of them, and post results. Some planet settlements will last longer than others.
I call making the Earth world! :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 01:10:16 am »

I... I call... Umos! Tropical Island World. Note this is a request.

Parameters:
- All tropical, with no glaciers and such.
- At least 10 volcanoes.
       ^If in next version it is possible to have natural pressurization on lava/magma, make them active! xD
- Lotsa wood.

Challenges:
1. Make everything out of wood, except the necessary stuff.
2. (optional) Embark on a volcano.
3. Above ground only, you may dig for cellars! Except for your mad scientist living on a fistant atoll along with his
dangerous followers, he can keep the traditional dwarven customs.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7