Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn XI  (Read 9549 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The year is 1806, and the Napoleonic Wars rage on unbound, the last remnant of the old order still resisting Bonaparte's relentless advance.

But in the untamed heart of the land, something is stirring. Children go missing in the deep forests along the Rhine, never to return. Great wolves that speak like men roam the Russian steppe - and even stranger beings, driven on by a witch on her flying pestle. The Ottoman Empire struggles with a revolt in Transylvania, their men disappearing in the night and returning drained of all blood.

Bonaparte has heard enough. Whether superstious trickery or something infinitely worse, it must be dealt with. Gathering bands of men and women from all over his empire and the world with the skills or experience needed to combat this new threat, he sets in motion perhaps the most complicated of his campaigns...

---

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character App (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roles (click to show/hide)

Player List
1. Aydin Kyrotomanios - The Preacher (micelus)
2. Regine Boulanger - The Spy (Dwarmin)
3. Viktor - The Woodsman (Theifofdreams)
4. Hippolyte d'Oberlin - The Surgeon (lawastooshort)
5. Alexandre Aruno - The Monster Hunter (vagel7)

Waiting List
1. ? - ? (Riccto)
2. Helga Thornwall - The Officer (IronyOwl)
3. ? - ? (NobodyPro)
4. ? - ? (Tiruin)
5. ? - ? (Lord Allagon)
Lesssss go!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:27:37 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century! Signups!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 03:43:00 pm »

Name: Aydin Kyrotomanios
Role: The Preacher...well kinda. Read the background.
Background: Alexis was born in the capital of the Ottoman Empire, Kostantiniyye. It was the year 1775 at the time and while the Empire had not fallen, it had obviously seen better days. It had lost territory and prestige to its enemies, the empires of Russia and Austria. But to yound Aydin, it never meant much to him; he was but a merchant's son, not a prince. His family has converted to the state religion of Islam centuries ago sometime after the Roman Empire finally fell. They had still kept their family name, but beyond that and a few traditions, they were Turks. The family was one of wealthy merchants, owning a company that shipped goods from all over the empire and even to other countries, once even to Rome. They often dealt with foreignors who wanted one good or another; their dealings with the small local French community were quite intricate to say. However, Aydin never truly enjoyed or liked the work of merchantry, true it was an honourble profession, but it never felt quite right. When he was 19, he finally knew what he wanted to do; he decided he wished to study the holy books and preach the way of God. His family was supportive enough, there were more than enough sons to control the company anyway. Aydin studied in a local mosque, and it interested him greatly. He felt he had found his calling. Eventually, he graduated to becoming an imam. For some time, he preached in Kostantiniyye and the surrounding countryside, helping with the company on the side. Then at the age of 31, he recieved a curious letter*....He read it and immediately thought to speak to his family. But as he searched the city, he found them all gone. Not a child, man, or woman. Even the ships were gone. The remaining employees knew nothing. Many of their possessions gone too. Perplexed, confused, and even fearful; he decided that it was time to pack his bags and head off west...to this country called "France". As he left the city, he wandered what this Napoleon would need of him...

*It basically said that Napoleon was asking him to come.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:38:55 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:54:59 pm »

Name: Regine Boulanger

Role: *custom* to be approved or not :P

Spoiler: The Spy (click to show/hide)

Background: Regine Boulanger was a simple woman. She would have preferred to remain a bar owner-'The Blue Moon', if you've had the occasion to visit it-living in Paris with her husband until they had a dozen children and all their hair fell out.

Then the war came, and a Swedish snipers bullet ended her Husbands life while he was on border patrol-a routine mission, they said. Very unfortunate, they said. She didn't break down. Regine Boulanger instead decided to take up the cause of her husband-if only to have anything to live for at all. She sold her house, and her business-everything. Seeking justice or retribution? Who can say they're not the same thing?

Afterwards, she was never what you would call 'orthodox'-she constantly endeavored to serve France as best as she could. First, from hospital wagons and stretchers-then the frontlines, though in disguise-first as a soldier, then as a freelancing operate, seeking to help anyway she could. Finally, when they realized they couldn't keep her off the field, they decided to use her skills in a different way...

Regine Boulanger was reborn as a new woman in the arm of Napoleons espionage arm-it was a place where one such as she, could forget her bitter past as easy as she changed identities, and merrily leave a trail of chaos and destruction of the enemies of France in her wake. She dove into a world vastly differenty than her own-and liked it. Every Lie and deceit reinforced her bitter crusade. Guilt was not an issue for long...for, the World as she had known had torn her heart from her chest. She felt nothing about returning the favor to it.

By now, any trace of the woman that once chatted amiably with her bar patrons about the coming and goings of Paris in the Summertime, or went with her husband to markets on Sundays is buried-surely, Angels would weep at how far she has fallen. Regine keeps this pain locked deep down-and keeps her anger alive with the fire of a Fanatic. Better to serve glorious France-a cause greater than herself, or so she believes. Better to die for it then suffer it's fall, for if France should fall-if Napolean should fail-then what's left for her?

Nothing. Nothing but a bitter, empty and cold world-where sometimes your loved ones are struck down for no other reason then you made the mistake of loving them too much.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:39:05 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:56:02 pm »

YESSSS.

Actually, wait, I think I'd rather watch right now. Sorry, I'll let someone else have fun with this.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 04:04:31 pm »

Yes please hold on

Edit:
Oh sorry, I thought I was modifying this post when I posted two posts further down. Apologies.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:19:25 pm by lawastooshort »

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 04:17:39 pm »

Name: Viktor
Role: Woodsman
Background: Viktor was born, and spent much of his young life, in a small unnamed Serbian village. Like his father, and his father's father before him, he was raised a woodsman and learned much of the wilds surrounding their meager home. Word brought from villagers told of vicious wars of conquest, supposedly deciding the fate of the land, and one or two of the young men of the village left to fight in these wars, but Viktor never payed much mind to these things. Unfortunately, the odd happenings did not pass the area by, and when travelers told of Napoleon's newest campaign, Viktor decided to join up for the sake of the village. 

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 04:18:53 pm »

Name: Hippolyte d'Oberlin

Role: *custom* to be approved or not

Spoiler: The Surgeon (click to show/hide)

Background:
His father was an officer, his grandfather was an officer, his brothers were officers... It wasn't that Hippolyte was afraid of death, just that his family had already seen enough. Strange then, that he decided to serve his country by enlisting as a field surgeon. There was nothing but death on the fields of glory. Death, and amputations.

But the rare times he managed to save a badly wounded soldier, whether to fight again or to live in peace, were therefore treasured even more, and the times he couldn't manage would, when he could escape the need for urgency, often offer many splendid occasions to explore Hippolyte's true passion: the biology of the human form. Whilst poking around in a drink-sodden soldier's flesh to unlodge an enemy bullet, he could often find the chance to take an extra look – lifting a liver membrane here, measuring a kidney there.

Over time, two things grew more than anything else: his skill at speedy and precise surgery, and his fascination with the abominations of the human form, those things that were not quite as they should be. He had over the years seen many things that would not be believed had he merely described them with words or even with his more than adequate sketching, and they had led Hippolyte to wonder if some of the old stories could in fact be true. When word spread amongst the officer corps of strange and savage happenings and of foul and hideous creatures terrorising the obscurer parts of the growing Empire, he knew that he would not only get the chance to get to the bottom of these abominations that had begun to haunt his mind, but also to make his name in investigating and classifying them: a name that would be remembered throughout the history of science.

Hippolyte d'Oberlin is, as his name suggests, an escapee from the old regime. He is fiercely proud of his Alsacian roots, and has studied medicine in Strasbourg and Paris. He is a keen naturalist, and has sketchbooks filled with page after page of many different drawings – of plants, of creatures, of man, seen from both outside and in.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:27:28 pm by lawastooshort »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:20:09 pm »

Done...I think.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 04:22:39 pm »

Done...I think.

Accepted, excellent work!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 04:34:16 pm »

Done, and put my custom class to be approved, disapproved. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 04:34:56 pm »

Finished. Hope that's good enough.
Regardless, I'm off to work for the night, so I won't know for 6~ish hours.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 04:40:47 pm »

Hmm, yes, both accepted. Dwarmin's custom class accepted as well! I expect Nappy would want someone in his teams to keep an eye on the others as well.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 04:53:47 pm »

Name: Alexandre Aruno
Role: The Monster Hunter
Background: The son of a simple farmer in a French village he was very adventurous as a boy, he loved to learn about everything, but he was especially pulled towards the occult. When he became a young man he found an Englishman who called himself 007, he  was a master in the occult. He studied with him for many years, becoming an expert on occult, monsters, dead languages and rituals. Finally at the age of 25 he started to travel the world, killing monsters and with it gaining a reputation and money. Though his adventures became legendary he was still untrusted and feared by the general population. Numerous times he has had to escape from scared villagers and mobs.

He was invited to the service and was glad to offer his skills.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:19:30 pm by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 05:12:18 pm »

Waitlist me I guess.
Raggle Fraggle

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 05:29:22 pm »

@Riccto: Might get in if you think of a cool player class not covered by what we have yet. Just saying. :P

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9