Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn XI  (Read 9550 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn I
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 03:41:43 pm »

((Wouldn't I know Arabic? The Quaran is after all only written in Arabic.))

"If I may ask monsieur, have any of your men disappeared into the night or found dead?"

After receiving an answer Aydin payed attention to his new comrades. One who had a rifle seemed to be of the atheistic sort. It was a shame really that such people would turn away from Allah in the highest. Even if they do worship him in the Christian way.

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 05:52:42 pm »

D'Oberlin held his hand out to the woman before him.

"Pleased to meet you too... madame? Hippolyte d'Oberlin, Surgeon-in-Chief of the 92nd Infantry. Well, until recently... Not a fervent believer in the tales of the uneducated then? Surely, there may always be things that lie beyond our knowledge that we can come to know? Science would be a futile and sad pursuit if this were not the case... Although of course, God alone, they say," and with this d'Oberlin bows respectfully towards the Turk, "can know everything, is it not so?"

It's hard to tell if the expression that stays on his face a second or two is one of genuine respect and curiosity, or the deprecating sense of irony of the overeducated towards the less enlightened.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 06:13:51 pm »

Regina took his hand as decorum dictated.

"Madame, no.

...but, Sir d'Oberlin, I personally and respectfully leave the mysteries of both Knowledge and God to wiser men. The Reality I preceive is complicated enough-if these mysteries ever sought me out, then I would face with the knowledge of what I know is real.

I could be surprised though...maybe that's why we're all here, I suppose..."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 06:20:20 pm »

Alexandre bows and takes Regina's hand, kissing it.

"Alexandre Aruno, monster hunter and scholar of the occult. Pleased to meet you m'lady. I hope that during our journey you will keep your mind open, but not too open."

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 07:43:46 pm »

Regina smiled charmingly, inclined her head politely, and riposted wittingly.

"Will you always speak in double meanings, Sir Aruno? I enjoy such things."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 08:42:40 pm »

Alexandre smiled.

"You should know better than anybody here that there are things that are not revealed to everybody. The thing with the occult is, most seem so unbelievable that the majority refuse to believe."

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 09:08:13 pm »

Regina returned the smile, but it was tinged with a deep sadness. Lessons...

"Perhaps some things are better left unrevealed-should not the blind and the meek be content to remain so, if the world hides such things as you describe in plain sight? Is it not a blessing for them?

...yet, for those who have their eyes opened to the reality...can never close them again, nor return to the moments of blissful ignorance they took for granted.

And thus, they are forced to confront what they have seen, and spare the rest, allowing them to sleep in peace.

Don't you agree, Sir Aruno?"

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 12:11:24 am »

After waiting for the others to finish speaking, Viktor grunted, and after pausing to make sure of his words, spoke in nearly unintelligible french.
"Viktor. Talk later, away from here. Not place or time. Orders?"
After speaking, he simply returned to waiting, and listening to the others. Waiting he could do as was listening, though he barely understood much of what was said, but talking, especially to these... frenchmen, that was not something he particularly relished.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 05:38:46 am »

((Wouldn't I know Arabic? The Quaran is after all only written in Arabic.))

Oh yes, indeed. And a bit of Persian probably too. I'll add them. Updater later today.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 05:47:43 am »

ALso, shouldn't the surgeon be able to speak at least fragmentary Latin?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 05:50:59 am »

Hmh, I don't really know how much of studies were done in latin in the 19th century - but it doesn't really matter. Even if he did know latin, you're not exactly going to travel in time to speak latin with anyone. But ehh, sure, maybe you can use it to disguise yourself as a priest.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 05:56:35 am »

you're not exactly going to travel in time to speak latin with anyone.

You could at least have spoilered that.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 07:35:17 am »

Chapter I: The Secret Campaign

Joeuf Garrison Camp

Hippolyte gratefully takes the envelope and says his thanks.

"No, mon colonel, that will be all, unless my companions here have any requests? Now if we could be provided with somewhere to rest for the night?

'There are a number of inns in the town, doctor. Use them. I am not responsible for your wellbeing from this point forward.'

"Fair enough. What exactly were your orders, colonel?" the surgeon asks.

'Well... let me see.' the colonel looks around and moves over to his desk. His eyes go over a crumpled piece of paper and he frowns, as if still not believing what he's seeing. ''Assist the Emperor's investigators into the paranormal to the best of your abilities', 'their task is imperative to the stability of France and the ideals we hold dear', and so on and so on. I think that is the gist of it.'

Behind him, Aruno notices that the commander has absinthe and all the needed tools to prepare the drink beside his bed.

"Can I make myself a drink?"

'What? No.'

The monster hunter moves to do so regardless, picking up the various tools and bringing them up to eye level for closer study. He gives a satisfied grunt and begins diluting the alcohol, while the commander looks on with an expression equal parts shock and disbelief.

"Don't you believe in supernatural beings, commander? They are very real, very dangerous and your god won't be much help against them." Aruno says and points at the cross that the commander is wearing. Taking a careful sip from the glass of absinthe that he's preparing, Alexandre shows the commander the cross of the dead. "This would be of much more help - it is mine, though."

A faint red begins to creep up Duval's face, his lower lip quivering - but, fortunately, d'Oberlin is there to save the day. He gives a polite cough and takes Aruno by the shoulder.

"Come, Aruno. We'll talk about it over something to eat... somewhere quiet."

Alexandre shrugs. "Very well then. I think that a nearby inn will do? Also, commander, please tell your men not to nose on our business, it is for their own safety as they don't know how to and they don't have the equipment to fight monsters."

Seeing the colonel ready to explode, d'Oberlin guides Aruno and the rest of the group out of his tent as quickly as he can. Only the Turkish priest is left behind, to ask one final question in broken French.

"If I may ask monsieur, have any of your men disappeared into the night or found dead?"

Duval, saying nothing, closes his eyes and seems to count to ten. He makes a painful effort at a smile, and walks so close to Aydin he can smell his breath. He places both arms on the priest's shoulders and stares straight into his eyes for a few moments moment. Then, slowly, he leans in and whispers;

'Ab-so-lutely not.'

Turning the smaller man around, he physically pushes the priest out of the tent and pulls the flaps of the tent violently shut. Aydin, after a moment's hesitation, heads after his companions, out of the garrison camp.

Jouef Inn

The town of Jouef, barely bigger than a village and located across the hills from the camp that shares its name, indeed contains several inns of varying quality. After careful study, the group decides on a bustling middle-class building on the main street, which proves not too cheap or too expensive. They settle in around a table downstairs and open the envelope.

Spoiler: Sealed Envelope (click to show/hide)

---

Spoiler: micelus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dwarmin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Theifofdreams (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: lawastooshort (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: vagel7 (click to show/hide)

---

Researching absinthe and it's preparation and the writing style of 19th century letters (though I didn't really get anything for the latter) - the things I do for France!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:28:45 pm by Digital Hellhound »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn II
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 07:52:09 am »

"All the respect, eh... Never mind. Come, let us dine and rest. I suggest we leave at dawn tomorrow."

Dine and sleep at the inn, then seek out Jacques at the earliest opportunity the next day. Along the way, ask him if he knows anything about the recent murder over in Bartelsberg.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn II
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2012, 09:04:57 am »

"I agree. Though for a positive side of the commander, I must say that he has an excellent taste in absinthe. I might even send him a note about it."

Alexandre wrote a note that he sent via messenger.

Dear commander,

Please forgive me if I was a little rude before, I was travel weary. You do have an excellent taste in absinthe.

-Alexandre Aruno

Alexandre sends the note and dines with the others. He spends the night with a bottle of red wine studying the Malleus Maleficarum and trying to sleep later.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9