Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 918280 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:47:06 am »

oh sweet god....

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:49:00 am »

is it right that i jizzed my pants for this? yes, it is. this still hurts me. and the news of a PROPER X-COM game has made this year much better.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:00:55 pm »

the good news - a proper remaking

the bad - the other handful of versions all will be out long before we see this done
Only a simple mind can be certain.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 12:01:03 pm »

I just worry it wont be hard enough.
This is a blank sig.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 12:05:18 pm »

don't worry. the fact that it is going to be on PC will make modding possibe. even if we have to hack! just hack 'em sectoids to insane amouts of health/whatever, and you'll have a challenge!

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 12:12:13 pm »

First reaction: X-COM? For real? SQUEEEE!

Second reaction: Firaxis? For real? SQUEEE!

Third reaction: Is it here yet? SQUEEEE!

This is good news. Now I have both Xenonauts and XCOM to look forward to. I know Xenonauts won't fuck it up. Here's to Firaxis not fucking it up either.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 12:15:23 pm »

oh, i doubt they'll fuck up. firaxis doesn't make a lot of fuck-ups. but just to be sure... *installs a thermonuclear device under Firaxis HQ*

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 12:17:03 pm »

Isn't Firaxis basically the old Microprose? I'm liking this development.  :D
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:26:48 pm »

The picture (concept art? Still frame from the intro?) of a horribly cliched space marine with a big boxy rifle and what appears to be some kind of quadrupedal Sectoid does not inspire great confidence, and the fact they're developing it for consoles and PC simultaneously probably doesn't bode well either. Seems to me that whoever ended up with the X-COM IP after Microprose folded is shitting uncut diamonds because taking a rather mediocre-looking shooter and tacking the brand onto it at a fairly late stage in development has blown up in their faces, and they're now in full-on damage control mode because all the fanbase's interest and goodwill has been thrown behind Xenonauts instead.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:30:53 pm »

just one question.

and these are what? they look like generic space marines. well, not the ones in jumpsuits, but the other ones do. but otherwise it's too early to judge. and judging by only one picture really isn't a great way to raise and lower your expectations. just sayin'.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 12:35:50 pm »

a) it's a bit of concept art, and I wouldn't bet my socks it was even for this game. Just an X-com game.
b) you've already seen the suits, now look at the rifle:
it's a big, boxy, futuristic looking thing.
c) the forward appendages on that sectoid are clearly hands (look at it's feet- they're very different). There's the question of why it's bent like that... but let's give them the benefit of our doubt and assume it's caught in the middle of crouching.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 12:37:19 pm »

yup. now let's get back to praising the shit out of the new (AND THE ONLY ONE) X-Com.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 12:38:06 pm »

The picture (concept art? Still frame from the intro?) of a horribly cliched space marine with a big boxy rifle and what appears to be some kind of quadrupedal Sectoid does not inspire great confidence, and the fact they're developing it for consoles and PC simultaneously probably doesn't bode well either. Seems to me that whoever ended up with the X-COM IP after Microprose folded is shitting uncut diamonds because taking a rather mediocre-looking shooter and tacking the brand onto it at a fairly late stage in development has blown up in their faces, and they're now in full-on damage control mode because all the fanbase's interest and goodwill has been thrown behind Xenonauts instead.

As keric noted, the characters have always been 'generic space marines'. As for the developer, it was 2K Marin that made the crappy shooter, and Firaxis (the people behind the Civ games) making this. If anyone can replicate it with current gen shinies, it'll be Firaxis.

That out of the way, WOOOO X-Com is baaaack!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 12:39:02 pm »

let's pretend that the 2K monstrosity will never happen.

and another thing: WOOT!
edit.: almost forgot:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:42:05 pm by kerlc »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 625