Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 918495 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 12:51:44 pm »

I hope they think of the classic X-COM players, and at least have an option/mode that allows it to be as difficult as the original games.

In regards to the console versions, I don't think the game would play too differently by comparison, since it was mostly point & click anyhow. Which means that alternatively, this version would allow for hooking up a gamepad to control it as well.

I do hope they allow it to be modding friendly. I would like to see user-made content of their own UFO designs and such as well as possibly a 'classic mod' which replaces everything with the original X-COM (and TFTD) stuff (including story). An 'infestation mod' would be interesting as well, which allows for smart Chryssalids.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:53:16 pm by Itnetlolor »

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 12:56:42 pm »

i wouldn't keep your hopes up as far as regular difficulties are concerned (easy, normal, and, regrettably, hard) because tehy do want the game to sell, not for everyone to see "this game is hard as hell." and think "why should i even bother?". but they are probably going to add a sort of UBERHARD or something that will give you, and all X-Com vets, at least a decent challenge. or if modding will be possible, someone will mod the shit out of it for difficulty. even if the UBERHARD difficulty makes you piss blood and vomit internal organs.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 01:34:09 pm »

YES
If anyone can make a proper sequel(or is it a remake?) it's Fireaxis/Microprose.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 01:38:13 pm »

I feel bad for this one just because it's following an impossible act to follow.  One of the cracked writers put it best, Internet video game fans love putting games on pedestals and then sitting under them with a baseball bat waiting to tear them apart.

As for the shooter, I skimmed through the playthrough video on the site.  I don't think it'll be good, just because it looks like a generic shooter with tacked on XCOM elements.  I do love the aesthetic though.  It's got this great contrast between the human world, which is really bright and colorful (contrary to most shooters these days) and looks like the perfect 50s suburb, and then the alien terraforming which is these crazy blacks and blues, with geometric monoliths sprouting out of the ground and some kind of techno-ivy growing all over everything.  It looks really nice and I'm sad that they're wasting it on what looks to be a really boring game.

As for difficulty, the original XCOM wasn't all that hard, especially if you didn't use the difficulty fix.  Terror from the Deep is a whole different story of course.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:43:31 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 01:42:47 pm »

Here's hoping that the first trailer consists of marines missing almost every shot while getting slaughtered by hidden enemies. Perfectly matches my first X-COM experience :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 01:46:07 pm »

eeeyup. same here.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 02:44:29 pm »

The picture (concept art? Still frame from the intro?) of a horribly cliched space marine with a big boxy rifle and what appears to be some kind of quadrupedal Sectoid does not inspire great confidence...

You obviously forgot the intro to the original game.  It looked like the intro to a Power Rangers episode, except with cool violence instead of lame kicks.

Seems to me that whoever ended up with the X-COM IP after Microprose folded is shitting uncut diamonds because taking a rather mediocre-looking shooter and tacking the brand onto it at a fairly late stage in development has blown up in their faces, and they're now in full-on damage control mode because all the fanbase's interest and goodwill has been thrown behind Xenonauts instead.

But there is that.  And the fact that Sid recently released a "civilizations" game for Facebook.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 03:15:05 pm »

just one question.

and these are what? they look like generic space marines. well, not the ones in jumpsuits, but the other ones do. but otherwise it's too early to judge. and judging by only one picture really isn't a great way to raise and lower your expectations. just sayin'.
What? Where else have you seen power armour like that? Like with one big eye making a weird "o.O" face, an antenna thing sticking out of its head, an armoured beer gutt and large crab forearms? Or when's the last time you've seen a space marine with Gambit style tight fitting spandex?

The guy in the concept art looks like something you see all the time in sci-fi games these days. I ain't ever seen a game with armours like those in UFO. You could say they look ridiculous by today's standards, but I wouldn't use "they were generic as well" as an argument here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »

Powerarmor is powerarmor, regardless of small differences in detail. Saying that a particular type of powerarmored marine is completely different from others because the appearance is somewhat different is akin to saying that an M-16 and AK 47 are completely different because they're shaped differently, and one is made largely out of plastic, while the other is steel and hardwood. Yeah, they look different, but they're the same type of thing, with the same purpose.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 03:29:10 pm »

What's wrong with the way he looks?  Not everything can be completely unique.  When you're going for realism, armor is one of the harder things to take creative license with and not make something that looks stupid.

The personal armor, aside from the color, looks like pretty generic future soldier stuff.  The powered armor looks like chunks of spaceship bulkhead beaten into shape and haphazardly cobbled together, which, considering the reverse-engineered nature of it, is a pretty clever aesthetic choice.

I'll admit, I like the powered armor, but I don't see anything wrong with the way the guy in the screenshot looks.  He looks like a semi-futuristic soldier, and that's what he is.  Uniqueness != quality
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 03:45:34 pm »

TFTD's difficulty was partly due to some enemies which were ridiculously overpowered (in particular I think lobstermen were too OP. If you hadn't researched sonic heavy cannons by the time you met them you were in for a world of pain. They were almost impervious to regular weaponry).

Also, the numerous game breaking bugs did not help. Fail to kill or capture some kind of monster in the first mission, or research stuff in the wrong order, and you could close off important research trees, making the game very difficult, or even unwinnable.

The ambience was far scarier than the original X-COM's, though. I'd like a sequel to combine elements from both of them.

BTW: speaking of very annoying bugs: I recall that the rate at which you burned ammo in X-COM apocalypse (at least in real time combat) was ridiculous. Combined with the fact that your providers sold you ridiculously low ammounts of munitions per week, you often ended up unable to take up missions due to a lack of weaponry, particularily early on (before researching disruption guns)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 04:08:35 pm »

I remember that feeling when I beat EU on Superhuman after 10 years of playing the game, and then proceeding to beat TFTD, also on Superhuman. You really feel badass when you do that. So cheers for the upcoming self-torture device.

TFTD's difficulty was partly due to some enemies which were ridiculously overpowered (in particular I think lobstermen were too OP. If you hadn't researched sonic heavy cannons by the time you met them you were in for a world of pain. They were almost impervious to regular weaponry).

I might be wrong but I've read that the TFTD's difficulty was because the devs were not aware of the difficulty bug in EU and received complaints on EU superhuman being too easy, so they made TFTD's beginner as hard as EU's superhuman.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:10:29 pm by Domenique »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 04:14:59 pm »

So, as it currently stands, we have:
Xenonauts, the game that is basically X-COM, but not named so.
X-COM: Enemy Unknown Remake
XCOM the other shooter thing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 04:25:48 pm »

Powerarmor is powerarmor, regardless of small differences in detail. Saying that a particular type of powerarmored marine is completely different from others because the appearance is somewhat different is akin to saying that an M-16 and AK 47 are completely different because they're shaped differently, and one is made largely out of plastic, while the other is steel and hardwood. Yeah, they look different, but they're the same type of thing, with the same purpose.
I'm not really sure what you're talking about here. You're telling me two items with the same purpose are indistinguishable? Or that the differences are meaningless? Is that it?

What's wrong with the way he looks?  Not everything can be completely unique.  When you're going for realism, armor is one of the harder things to take creative license with and not make something that looks stupid.
When you've got technology that's rather new (like power armour would be here), I think it's forgivable to do something interesting with its aesthetics. Take a look at tanks in WW2, for example. Particularly the weird looking ones like the T-100.

Then again, I don't think the guy in the concept art has the most practical combat armour either. Are your shoulders, elbows and knees really more valuable than your head?

Although we've yet to see what the actual power armour looks like here. Hopefully it won't look all that generic.

And either way, I'm still looking forward to this. The last relatively mainstream tactical turn-based title was Silent Storm (and its derivatives), and that turned out awesome.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 04:29:27 pm »

Wish we could get some awesome armor design like Mass Effect's or MGS's.

The Militaires Sans Frontières of peacewalker has some badass armor.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:05:26 pm by Vherid »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 625